Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
Who's Online Now
64 registered members (alphonsus, Anita Potter, BachToTheFuture, AndyP, Bambers, andwi, 14 invisible), 1,203 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1379076 - 02/20/10 07:04 PM PX830 is the right choice for me?  
svntn Offline
svntn  Offline

United States
I am planning to make my first purchase of a piano (DP?) for my 5 years old kid who started learning a few months ago. She is practising on a Casio CTK700 which I bought for her as a toy when she was very young. I live in an apartment, so space is relatively tight.

I would like to buy something that won't limit her progress/potential at this stage and relatively inexpensive as I would plan to buy her a real good piano 2~3 years down the road if she indeed love playing.

Could anyone give me advice if today's DP's keyboard feel are close to real piano (which in mind is the most important thing for a starter)? All the opinions that I receive from friends and teachers stating the opposite. If yes, would PX830 is the best buy for me (aound $1000 budget)? any other suggestions?

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#1379407 - 02/21/10 06:57 AM Re: PX830 is the right choice for me? [Re: svntn]  
Sean M. Offline
Sean M.  Offline

If that's the criteria, the PX-830 might be overdoing it a bit. If she only needs to practice the piano, none of the extra sounds or memory card capabilities of the PX-830 are really necessary. The PX-130 has the same piano sounds and keyboard action, and is cheaper. Maybe you should think about the PX-130 in combination with the optional stand (CS-67) and footpedals (SP-32).

The only downside I can see here would be that the speakers on the PX-130 are a little underpowered, IMO, but definitely do try it out at the store to see what you think about the speakers.

For a similar price range and features, check out the Yamaha P-85.

Last edited by Sean M.; 02/21/10 06:58 AM.
#1379680 - 02/21/10 03:16 PM Re: PX830 is the right choice for me? [Re: Sean M.]  
BanditHH Offline
BanditHH  Offline

Take also a look at the Roland F110 - almost the same optic

Casio Privia PX-330BK
#1379705 - 02/21/10 03:53 PM Re: PX830 is the right choice for me? [Re: Sean M.]  
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member
ChrisA  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted by Sean M.
If that's the criteria, the PX-830 might be overdoing it a bit. If she only needs to practice the piano, none of the extra sounds or memory card capabilities of the PX-830 are really necessary. The PX-130 has the same piano sounds and keyboard action, and is cheaper. Maybe you should think about the PX-130 in combination with the optional stand (CS-67) and footpedals (SP-32).

The only downside I can see here would be that the speakers on the PX-130 are a little underpowered, IMO, but definitely do try it out at the store to see what you think about the speakers.

For a similar price range and features, check out the Yamaha P-85.

I have to agree. If you like the 830, the 130 is the same thing but without all those "extra" features a piano student would never use.

The nest jump in quality cots about twice as much. I think you'd need to move up to a Yamaha that uses GH key action(A P155 or YDP160) or a Roland that uses PHA II (not "Alpha II") or a Kawai. Either of these option would be better but the cost is in the $1,200 to $2K range. For the under $1K range the Casio is OK.

Don't worry about the loudness (or lack of it) in the speakers of a home practice piano. Anyone who plays a piano is certainly no more than an "arm's length" from the piano. Any piano will sound loud enough from such a short distance, especially if the piano is pushed up to a wall. For public performance, it's difference.

Last edited by ChrisA; 02/21/10 03:57 PM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1379766 - 02/21/10 05:43 PM Re: PX830 is the right choice for me? [Re: ChrisA]  
svntn Offline
svntn  Offline

United States
thanks for all the advices.

If Yamaha is definitely better in terms of key board touch, I wouldn't mind spending a few more hundreds to get it. In that case, should I look at AP155 or YDP160 in my situation?

#1379796 - 02/21/10 06:18 PM Re: PX830 is the right choice for me? [Re: svntn]  
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kawai James  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Hamamatsu, Japan
Yamaha also produce the compact YDP-S31, however I don't believe the keyboard is quite as good as the YDP-160/P155.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 fan & occasional rare groove player.
#1380358 - 02/22/10 01:21 PM Re: PX830 is the right choice for me? [Re: Kawai James]  
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member
galaxy4t  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Lakewood, CA
In my opinion a PX-130 would be a good starter piano for your 5-year-old daughter to start with. It offers a decent piano sample and piano action--although both of these are subjective. If you find her learning progresses to a higher level, you can always upgrade to something else later with newer technology or an acoustic. A Yamaha or Roland will cost at least double.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Petrof IV - before and after tuning
by BobTB. 12/12/17 06:22 AM
Velocity Sample Switching
by memtrix. 12/12/17 05:29 AM
Samick 121 Action issue
by vibavi attigala. 12/12/17 03:45 AM
The "HUM" of my piano
by Weiyan. 12/12/17 02:37 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics183,235
Posts2,678,575
Members89,264
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission