2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,167 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Nice!

Of course, every person should play scales until their fingers go numb. In fact why play music at all. I only play scales on my Bösendorfer. Since I have more keys than normal, my scales are that much better!

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
We never covered that in school, but I now feel ready to write a PhD on the subject! Thankyou smile

L
L
Agree with the OP. Yes, the composer wrote the music a specific way because he wanted it played a specific way. It bothers me as well when people deviate so far from from what the indicated marking is on any given piece.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Aha you are the triangle man TLT, I remember you!

My students play a lot of pieces by a certain regular poster on piano world. My students like the pieces very much and I am Not Prepared to make new repertoire choices (would require lateral thinking which I haven't had since I turned from gardening to classical piano). Should I do away with this composing Poster in order to benefit my students? If I play triangle for 12 hours in composer's vicinity would that be fatal?

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Canonie
If I play triangle for 12 hours in composer's vicinity would that be fatal?

I fear he might decompose.

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzyprof
If I play triangle for 12 hours in composer's vicinity would that be fatal?

I fear he might decompose.

Like this:
ting ting ting ting ting - - ting - - ting ting ting ting - ting - ing ting tigg tong ting ting ting bingbingfbinginb thing--

Well it's definitely dead music.
Ahem, the "he" composer is actually a "she" composer. But we won't say any more about that!

Jazzyprof, you will be fine as long as you play chopin because is very dead and thus appropriate for study (thank goodness for that) laugh Now I really must get back to some dead person practice. What a blessing that Hanon is dead too as he is the perfect antidote to creativity on a dangerously inspired morning.

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
L
L
I wonder who really knows how the composer wants the music to sound if they are dead? smile I mean.. you can read the notes and play.. and listen to professional recordings of the piece from other bands etc but we don't have recordings from the composers themselves do we? And I'm talking about those really old classical composers. Like take bach for example. He died in 1750 or something like that. Did they even have ways to record back then? lol So how do we know how the music is suppose to come out if the original composer isn't around to show us and there are no recordings of it. Just a thought. We can take a pretty good guess of course but still maybe we are completely off from what the original composer wanted? I don't really know anything about classical music etc so I'm curious:) So.. I guess in the end.. I'm wondering if we interpret these wonderful classical pieces the way the composers wanted them interpreted or we maybe we dont? smile

I am currently uploading all of my written piano sheets onto my blog to make things easier. I also have written out a few more sheets. All free check it out if you want smile Any questions, PM me

http://myuniquepianomusic.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/paws1528
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Aha you are the triangle man TLT, I remember you!

Yeah I almost fell off my chair when I read his triangle post last time!

On the subject of dead composers, my young children and I had a strange conversation in the car the other day.

6-year-old son: I want to listen to Mozart
me: Play Mozart Piano Sonata in ....
car: Playing Mozart Piano Sonata ....
son: Is Mozart playing the piano?
8-year-old daughter: Mozart is dead.
son: He could be a zoombie.
me: Zoombies are slow; can't you hear those scales?
daughter: Yeah but Mozart was a prodigy!

L
L
Originally Posted by ladypayne
I wonder who really knows how the composer wants the music to sound if they are dead? smile I mean.. you can read the notes and play.. and listen to professional recordings of the piece from other bands etc but we don't have recordings from the composers themselves do we? And I'm talking about those really old classical composers. Like take bach for example. He died in 1750 or something like that. Did they even have ways to record back then? lol So how do we know how the music is suppose to come out if the original composer isn't around to show us and there are no recordings of it. Just a thought. We can take a pretty good guess of course but still maybe we are completely off from what the original composer wanted? I don't really know anything about classical music etc so I'm curious:) So.. I guess in the end.. I'm wondering if we interpret these wonderful classical pieces the way the composers wanted them interpreted or we maybe we dont? smile

We know how the composer wants the music by the markings, such as allegretto, presto, grazioso or rinforzando. The only marking I know of that allows the pianist some freedom is ad libitum.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You guys are being way too serious. The OP totally didn't mean anything he said. I think he meant for this thread to be fun. Let your best sarcasm flow.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
We never covered that in school, but I now feel ready to write a PhD on the subject! Thankyou smile

Of course, you know nobody would want to read your dissertation until you are dead.

L
L
ooh guess I forgot about those lol and I still like music where people have improvised it like canon for example. There are some wonderful improvised versions of that song out there. Plus.. most of that music is way to hard for me to play from the original scores so I like it when people put it in easier forms but is that really improvising or just rewriting the score so it's easier for people like myself to play ?:)

Last edited by ladypayne; 02/20/10 01:46 AM.

I am currently uploading all of my written piano sheets onto my blog to make things easier. I also have written out a few more sheets. All free check it out if you want smile Any questions, PM me

L
L
lol it's fun to make threads serious... that's how discussions get going :P

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
WELL..............

I'll join in simply to narrate a tale from the early 80s when I was a high school student and being asked by my instrumentalist friends to accompany them for their instrumental examinations.

It was a Grade 5 flute exam, and we were to begin with a simple movement from a suite by some Baroque composer or other. My friend and I had rehearsed well, and I really knew what to do to make her sound fabulous and hopefully score brilliant marks thanks to our dynamic ensemble performance! Just before we were about to start this first piece the examiner came over to the piano, put his hands on my shoulders and said "Now we know this piece was written for a harpsichord, and since harpsichords didn't have sustain pedals we won't be needing to use the sustain pedal on the piano, will we?"

"No!!" I exclaimed enthusiastically, surreptitiously sliding my right foot back under the piano stool, cursing his commitment to the authenticity trend, and attempted to accompany well, despite the fact I had not rehearsed the music 'dry'.

At the point of the exam where my role had ended, the examiner returned to where I was seated, did the hands on my shoulders thing again, and said "You are a very gifted accompanist".

What a sadist.

Last edited by Elissa Milne; 02/20/10 04:45 AM.

Teacher, Composer, Writer, Speaker
Working with Hal Leonard, Alfred, Faber, and Australian Music Examination Board
Music in syllabuses by ABRSM, AMEB, Trinity Guildhall, ANZCA, NZMEB, and more
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com
N
N
Originally Posted by Elissa Milne
What a sadist.

I like your style.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs

You never covered Jefferson Davis and the great, heartwarming American Civil War during your education in Scotland? Hard to believe. I'm sure they did. You must have been absent that day. After all, we studied the Scottish Civil War(s) here in the States - all of them. Or at least we saw the movie version starring Mel Gibson.

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

A little music to add to the discussion. Don't sing along though, Michael Palin is alive and well to the best of my knowlege.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkRXTT-15WM

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
First of all I would like to reassure everyone here that I am a triangle and piano player of the *female* variety. Probably everyone knows what that means, but anyone who is unsure may please speak up, and I'll let them know. My education in anatomy was far more detailed than that on history.

Blue Engine - I am a true Python, though I'd never heard that one. Thankyou for bringing it to my attention.

Elissa, that is a beautiful story.

JF - You talk of the American Civil War. This rings a triangle for me. Who did you fight it against? I'm glad at least you were civil to them, and hope they paid you the same courtesy. I don't recall Scotland having civil wars, although it is possible I was simply absent from school that day.

L
L
lol funny :P

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
BB player has closed the 'Free to be Creative' thread. laugh

Halleluya! thumb

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission