2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 1,980 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
M
Originally Posted by zxy
If there is, than Nobuo Uematsu is the one to set anyone straight on the matter. The guy is brilliant.

While I can't disagree with you on Nobuo Uematsus brilliance, there are quite a few other composers equally worth mentioning, not that anyone gets the impression taht he's the exception to otherwise mediocre music. Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill), Koh Ohtani (Shadow of the Colossus), Gary Schyman (Bioshock), Yasunori Mitsuda (Chrono Cross) to name just a few of my favourites.

O
O
There's also the fact that most people will have limited if any exposure to video game music. Fear of the unknown, maybe? smile

Personally I think there's a wealth of good music to be found that was created for video games, and it's not even that recent a phenomenon - I could name several great game themes from the 80s. They might be derivative by classical standards, and they're certainly repetitive (I suspect by necessity), but frankly I found many of them a lot more innovative than contemporary pop music.

Here's someone on YouTube playing a Rob Hubbard piece from 1985 [not originally for the piano]:
[video:youtube]UolOHLFlOrc[/video]
Original here .

J.S. Bach: Two-part invention No. 4 in D minor, BWV 775
Muzio Clementi: Sonatina in C Major, Op. 36 No. 1
Ole Olsen: Fanitull
H
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
A number of years ago I stumbled across this Doom WAD... it's a patch that replaces all the music in the early Doom 2 video game with classical music:

http://youfailit.net/pub/idgames/music/classic2.zip

There's a listing inside the zip. Kind of inspired me to research the patching technique and author my own in an alternate genre:

http://www.rtpress.com/misc/ragtime2.zip

15+ years later I still get e-mails from folks, mostly parents that hear their kids playing it. Some express mixed feelings, being torn between disdain for the violent nature of the game but being appreciative that their kids are being introduced to music they might not otherwise be exposed to.

Howard

F
F
In my case, the reason why I even started learning the piano were piano arrangements from videogames. I was an avid gamer and spent hours and hours on various vdieogames (seems pretty common with my generation lol) and probably the pieces that stuck to me were ones from the final fantasy series - composer Nobuo Uematsu. In my opinion purely, throughout his games his music has fit the various settings perfectly and to hear them arranged on the piano (those who fight, besaid island, attack, etc.) is pure joy which goes hand in hand with nostalgia.

A youtuber by the name of Zohar002 posted arrangements from the chrono trigger series such as corridors of time and secret of the forest and the one video that made me wanna start it all, shevat the wind is calling.

Interestingly enough, I JUST had my first lesson with a teacher and she asked me what pieces I wanted to play some day. I told her pieces from videogames and she gave me a little snicker. Didn't really mind though.

As others have said, different strokes for different folks. I'm not one to compare it to any other genre because I feel need to justify it and really in the end, it's just my cup of tea.

Last edited by fanatik22; 02/16/10 10:44 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Here are a few of my abs fav video game musics:

This one I love to death

Currently learning composition:

Some of my compositions
U
Up Offline
U
Originally Posted by Theowne
For example, "To Zanarkand" is a nice piece, but it's also fairly simple/derivative. I think it's okay to enjoy something while also acknowledging that it may not be as good as something else.
It's easy yeah, but it's not the point that it's suposed to be hard. If you listen to for example Etarnal Harvest, Creature Creation, Those Who Fight and One Winged Angel, then you will hear some harder stuff than to Zanarkand. But yeah, we cant compare Those Who Fight with La Campanella for example crazy

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission