2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,164 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1377888 02/19/10 05:45 AM
Pammy Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi everyone,

I'm a little lost as to where to introduce myself.. so I hope this spot is okay blush

I am an older adult - a grandson, a granddaughter on the way & wrinkles to prove it lol.

I have had 2 years of lessons now, but I did have 2 years of lessons as a teenager which gave me a little kick start - I was surprised at what I remembered, so long ago now. I'm taking the plunge and studying for my 4th grade "piano for leisure" exam. This is my first exam, as originally I told my teacher I wasn't going to do any exams, but, well, here goes! eek just thinking about it gives me sweaty palms I'm scared to death!

The pieces I've chosen are:
Mozart - Andante Sonata K545
C.Bach - Solfeggio
Chopin - Minute Waltz Op64No1

My exam plan is to get all three technically correct (by May) then refine by end July (exam). I'm trying not to self doubt, but I can't help but wonder if/how!

I've been playing on a Casio keyboard and an old upright piano. I have just bought a Kawai GM-12 baby grand (it's 5 years old music shop demo) and I am nearly wetting my self waiting for it's arrival in about 2 weeks time.

I'm not sure what else to say? LOL

Looking forward to meeting new friends 3hearts & hopefully learn/be inspired along the way.

Pammy

Last edited by Pammy; 02/19/10 07:32 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Pammy, welcome to the board!

You are working on three fantastic pieces, am sure you will have them up to scratch by May. And don't forget to post some pics of the Kawai when it arrives wink

Euan.

Pammy Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the welcome Euan - will do smile

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Hi Pammy and welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your decision to jump in and study for your exam. If nothing else, it'll provide focus to your practice and will help you polish your skills - not to mention that part about performing under pressure! Now that you're here, I hope you'll join in and submit some recordings so we can hear your new piano when it arrives. You've no doubt seen our most recent recital and there are always the monthly piano bars. We've got players of all levels here so not matter how bad or good you think you are you'll get a "good job" just for taking part.

And I'll second Euan's request for pictures of your piano when it arrives - we love piano pictures!

Greg
P
P
Hi, welcome.

The Bach Solfeggio, is that the same as Bach Solfeggietto?
I'm learning this piece and it's graded at Grade 6 so suprised to see it listed as a grade 4 piece, though i am unfamiliar with "piano for leisure exams".
It's pretty tricky to play at a decent tempo. Great piece though.

Piano Yamaha U1
Studying Grade 8 piano and 6 theory

Currently working on:
Chopin Nocturne in C# Minor
Beethoven Sonata Op10.no.1
Martinu Columbine Sings
Chopin: Waltz 69 no.2
Scott Joplin: Pineapple Rag

Achievements:
Grade 1-7 Piano (LCM)
Grade 1-5 theory (LCM)
Pammy Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Greg, I'll have to work out how to do a recording?!

Hi PianoU1, In my AMEB Piano of Leisure 4th grade book it's written as Solfeggio W117/2; H 220 I've just googled and it's Solfeggietto everywhere else! So yes, one of the same.
My teacher has asked I that practice playing it all staccato this week. I've managed to memorise this piece, so I'm actually having fun playing it. I still have a long way to go to get it up to speed!

Pammy

H
H
Welcome to the forum. Those are some really nice pieces you're working on. Best of luck in your studies and I'll just say to enjoy the process more than the destination.

I think that Solfeggietto is a pretty terrific little piece. Good choice. Good choices all round.

Is piano for leisure essentially 'funner' pieces and little-to-no technical work? Maybe I should do that. In the regular one I have to clap and sing and do all sorts of things I'm not comfortable with. Not even a little!

Two shadas at noon.
Pammy Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Homeinmyshoes smile

Seabelle, yes I guess you would say "funner lol" as the Piano for Leisure syllabus allows students to pursue classical or light classical piano, more contemporary repertoire, pop repertoire, jazz or any tailor-made combination of these styles that suits the candidate’s taste. As I have other committments during the week, practice times are be hard for me, so Piano for Leisure is perfect as it is designed for students with busy activity schedules. I only have to play 3 peices, plus the scales/appeggios F & Bb. Plus, as it's my very first exam I feel it's all I can cope with!

Pammy

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome Pammy and Contrats! On doing an exam AND on the grandkids. I've done Solfeggietto but not the other two. I'm studying for my grade 6 exam (if I don't chicken out). I never studied as a child and have been taking lessons for the last 7.5 years (noodled around a couple of years on my own before that) I'm a little behind I think but having a blast. I have a granddaughter (2.5) and also a grandson and granddaughter on the way!!! yikes!! 3 weeks and 4 months respectively. Piano and grandchildren - who could ask for more!!

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission