2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 4 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Like Beethoven, Hummel, Paganini, Schubert, Berlioz, Strauss, Mendelssohn, Chopin, Czerny, Liszt, Alkan, Wagner, Schumann, Brahms, Bizet, Tchaikovsky, Grieg, Debussy, Sibelius,Scriabin
Rachmaninoff, Mahler, Ravel, Haydn, Mozart, Bach

all of them are male what is the explanation of this ?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Read about society during the time of Beethoven, Hummel, Paganini, Schubert, Berlioz, Strauss, Mendelssohn, Chopin, Czerny, Liszt, Alkan, Wagner, Schumann, Brahms, Bizet, Tchaikovsky, Grieg, Debussy, Sibelius,Scriabin
Rachmaninoff, Mahler, Ravel, Haydn, Mozart, Bach....

You'll find your answer there.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Phlebas
Read about society during the time of Beethoven, Hummel, Paganini, Schubert, Berlioz, Strauss, Mendelssohn, Chopin, Czerny, Liszt, Alkan, Wagner, Schumann, Brahms, Bizet, Tchaikovsky, Grieg, Debussy, Sibelius,Scriabin

I ask ''Famous'' female Composer read the title carefully. And i dont talk about society i talk about history.

Last edited by Batuhan; 02/18/10 12:49 PM.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Because historically, education was preferentially given to boys and women had to go under pseudonyms to get anything published. I believe that Mendelssohn had some of his sister's music published under his name. Clara Schumann is quite a well-known composer. If you go back even further, there's Hildegard of Bingen. I'm sure others can provide more examples as well.

Clara Schumann is the only name I can think of but certainly not famous like the others.

Originally Posted by Frozenicicles
Because historically, education is preferentially given to boys and women had to go under pseudonyms to get anything published. I believe that Mendelssohn had some of his sister's music published under his name. Clara Schumann is quite a well-known composer. If you go back even further, there's Hildegard of Bingen. I'm sure others can provide more examples as well.

Looks like we both thought of Clara at the same time smile

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
There was also Fanny Mendelssohn.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Here is another way of framing the question:

Why are there many famous female authors, from Jane Austen to Virginia Woolf, but almost no famous female composers?

-Jason

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Batuhan: The reason is social, not historical, or at least historically social! laugh What did you expect as a reply? That women are not as capable as men in composing? If this is so, it simply isn't true.

I love the works of Gubaidulina, Tansy Davies and many othes... In fact: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_female_composers_by_birth_year

Now, the why they are not as famous... try checking how many females are famous throuhout history and you'll probably also end up in a social reason rather than anything else. EDIT: Indeed writting... sorry about that.

Last edited by Nikolas; 02/18/10 12:58 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nikolas
That women are not as capable as men in composing? If this is so, it simply isn't true.

Darn right. Writing was a much more suitable task for a woman than being a professional musician. Performing meant that you had to be in the public eye. Fanny Mendelssohn's father told her that "music will perhaps become his [i.e. Felix's] profession, while for you it can and must be only an ornament." And who knows - perhaps women did compose music privately but it never got performed unless they had male relatives in the business, like Fanny and Clara. Don't forget that history has been written by men.

M
M
Well what I'll say may be controversial but it also holds a shred of truth.

Scientifically speaking, there are more male geniuses (based on I.Q.) than female (there are also more mentally-challenged men). Males tend to fall on either side of the I.Q. bell curve, so there are less men with average I.Q. than women, but also more men with very high I.Q. Obviously, I.Q. doesn't measure creativity or musical flair, but it is a general indicator of intelligence and when have you known a stupid composer? There aren't many.

As for the "women in society" argument, well yes, during the time of Mozart/Bach/Beethoven/Schubert etc. the education of women left a lot to be desired. But I don't think that same argument can be carried forth to the time of Rachmaninoff/Ravel etc. Women were educated in music then, and obviously are to the present day, but yet the vast majority of contemporary composers that I can think of (film composers, new age etc.) are men.

Maybe we're just better at this one particular aspect of human life? After all, we are very different and there are things that women tend to be better at than men.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Read this thread and maybe you'll understand.

I'm not super-feminist here - the role of women as mothers is crucial in human society and sometimes they need to (and should) compromise their careers to take care of children. But I believe it's incorrect to infer that it's due to lack of intelligence.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Batuhan
Originally Posted by Phlebas

I ask ''Famous'' female Composer read the title carefully. And i dont talk about society i talk about history.

I read your post. Read up on society during the times the composers you listed lived. You'll find your answer there.

Sorry, for the snarkiness, but your question is a bit naive.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mr_Lion
Well what I'll say may be controversial but it also holds a shred of truth.

Scientifically speaking, there are more male geniuses (based on I.Q.) than female (there are also more mentally-challenged men). Males tend to fall on either side of the I.Q. bell curve, so there are less men with average I.Q. than women, but also more men with very high I.Q. Obviously, I.Q. doesn't measure creativity or musical flair, but it is a general indicator of intelligence and when have you known a stupid composer? There aren't many.
Can you share some 'scientific' proof over that? Cause I honestly find not a single shread of truth in the above!

More over, there was a thread about 'talent overater' and another book in teachers forum. You should go check it out and get an idea that talent could be given later in life, rather than born with. Similary the same applied with IQ...

As for the "women in society" argument, well yes, during the time of Mozart/Bach/Beethoven/Schubert etc. the education of women left a lot to be desired. But I don't think that same argument can be carried forth to the time of Rachmaninoff/Ravel etc. Women were educated in music then, and obviously are to the present day, but yet the vast majority of contemporary composers that I can think of (film composers, new age etc.) are men.
When... did women start to vote? I do think much later than Ravel's (general) time. More over if I recall correctly the (2nd) feminist movement was around the 60s, right? (first was around the time of Virginia Woolf, incidently, already mentioned here).

Maybe we're just better at this one particular aspect of human life? After all, we are very different and there are things that women tend to be better at than men.

Take out the word 'better' and leave the word 'different' and we're fine!

Take it from a guy who's feeding his kids, taking them to showers, putting them to sleep, taking them out to walks, etc, while his wife works (more steadily, as an architect, while her husband is a freelance composer). I tend to think that I'm doing a damn fine job raising my kids, which normally should be a 'female chore'... laugh (Not to mention the pride I take from this and the enjoyement).

Nope we are not the same, but I judge differences on a few physical aspects (when talking about athletics for example), but mainly personality, intelligence, etc. And NOT the sex!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
We suck?

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
M
M
Can you share some 'scientific' proof over that? Cause I honestly find not a single shread of truth in the above!

Yes - there have been numerous studies showing that there are twice as many men falling on the 'extremes' as women. Here's an example of one study conducted by numerous doctors at top universities:

Deary, I.J.; Irwing, P.; Der, G; Bates, T.C. (2005). "Brother–sister differences in the g factor in intelligence: Analysis of full, opposite-sex siblings from the NLSY1979". Intelligence 35:451-456.

When... did women start to vote? I do think much later than Ravel's (general) time. More over if I recall correctly the (2nd) feminist movement was around the 60s, right? (first was around the time of Virginia Woolf, incidently, already mentioned here).

What about modern day female composers? The vast majority of film/contemporary composers that I know are men.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put them down! Not by any means, I'm not sexist I'm just scientific. I'm not trying to offend anyone.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Yeah... you think the 'world' isn't sexist anymore? Come on.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I love the works of Gubaidulina...

+1

Did you go to any of the concerts in the Barbican/BBC Gubaidulina weekend a few years ago? I recorded much of it when it was broadcast. (I also recorded her St John Passion from the Proms performance in 2002 with Gergiev and the Kirov Orch.)

So true. Angelina. Substitute any other minority into this discussion and suddenly it becomes too hot to handle.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A. Nonymous was a woman - Her only instrument, her voice, her compostions hummed over soup, danced with the broom, crooned over babies, and keened over the dead.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission