2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 1,980 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1375757 02/16/10 05:50 PM
T
Tar Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I've figured that unless I do something soon no one will ever hear me play live apart from my computer and my video recorder! So here comes the time when I really want to go out and play live, and I was hoping to be able to play at local venues. I now live in Munich, and the place is full with piano bars and jazz bars.

Have people done this sort of thing? Where do you start? I really don't care about income -- I'd happily play for free although I wouldn't say no to a modest fee! -- I just want the experience and opportunity to play in public. There's one snag: I'd really like to play my own stuff, and ultimately I would like the word to spread around a bit.

I wonder whether this would make things more difficult. While I don't mind playing covers, I'm much more comfortable with my own music. A few people checking out this forum might be familiar with my sounds, but if not, please do listen to samples on my Facebook page (this is not intended as an Ad; my intention honestly is for you to usefully evaluate my music and its suitability). There are plenty of songs uploaded, roughly in reverse-chronological order of composition. The link is here:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tar-Viturawong/63159029794?v=app_19935916616&ref=ts

You'll find that some of the things I've written is very strongly classical-influenced and will be "too heavy". My thought is that I could have a "toned-down" version for these pieces. I feel that my earlier music is much more "piano bar" tailored as it is (e.g. Leavers, The Heartbreaking Smile, The Shining Light, A Million Miles, Song of Consolation, all posted).

How would I approach these venues so that they may become interested, especially with no prior experience (= no real "credits")? Do I need some kind of press kit? Am I being realistic to want to play my own music? A "For Dummies" from people who are experienced would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Tar

Tar Viturawong
Amateur composer and pianist
Known on YouTube as pianoinspiration
verbis defectis musica incipit
Tar #1375939 02/16/10 09:05 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I listened to your Valentine's Day piece. There is no question you have a gift, my friend, not only for composition but performing. I wish I could perform as flawlessly as you do! thumb Too many responsibilities to devote the amount of time I'd like.

To achieve a dream like yours I suspect you kind of have to grab the bull by the horns and make it happen yourself. The question is, Can it happen? Yes. Will you find encouragement? Yes.

Many of us are in the same boat, would relish a career in music - it would be like never having to work again, doing instead what we love! - but the standards are so incredibly high.

The consensus from those in the industry seems to be to discourage people from seeking this path unless they absolutely will not be dissuaded. It's hard to get rich as a musician, after all, though it is possible to earn a comfortable living.

You'll need to ask yourself, How badly do I want this?

Your ideas about keeping it light re: heavy syrup classical vs. more a whimsical jazz sound are astute and show musical wisdom on your part. You'll need to find the right door and walk through it! thumb

I'm sorry I cannot offer anything more concrete other than a little encouragement.

http://www.ecital.net
Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
gerg #1375947 02/16/10 09:25 PM
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Here's a link to a recent discussion in the non-classical forum on just this topic:

How to find jazz gigs

good luck!

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
jotur #1375984 02/16/10 10:18 PM
M
M
I have not been to Munich so I don't know if the setting is different there, but when I think "piano bar" I see more emphasis on the "bar" part, imagining that there is a lot of conversation and ambient noise and not very many moments where anyone would be quiet enough to really focus in on quality music. For just the FUN of performing, I could imagine you could easily join a small combo, play some jazz, and maybe talk them into giving you a small solo set that might grow longer as your name gets out there and interest grows. But I'm still not sure the bar setting is where you'd be happiest. ?? Would there be a quieter place, like here in the States sometimes bookstores will bring in a nice quality piano and have someone perform...obviously this would start as a small venue with mostly catching the passing "traffic", but once you get known, hopefully there'd be a following that would notice when the posters go up that you're going to be there! Or heck, enroll in a 2-credit music class of some kind at a large university, just to get access to the performing hall, and then do a full recital of your work!!!!!!!

Last edited by musiccr8r; 02/16/10 10:18 PM.
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I listened to some of the music on your website and I think you should definitely be playing out. One thing you might want to do is look for a place such as a coffee shop where musicians occasionally play and which has a piano and ask the owners if they would be interested in having you play some time, if you don't care too much about the money that would greatly increase your chance of getting a gig. I have not played any solo bar gigs myself, but I have played a few as part of a band and have spent some time visiting establishments that have live music to see about getting gigs for the aforementioned band with some success. Don't worry too much if the first few places you try turn you down, if you talk to enough coffee shop / bar owners you should eventually find someone likes what you do and is willing to give you a chance.

As for the gig itself probably the biggest issue is the piano itself, if possible see if you can spend some time practicing on it before you play in front of an audience. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Chris G #1377305 02/18/10 12:45 PM
T
Tar Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thank you so much everyone for the encouragement!! It's a tough career path, which is why I'm not making it my career wink However, I really do miss playing live in general -- there's something very different about playing with others or in public and playing for myself! It's a pity because I'm supposed to be in a culture centre of Europe, yet I feel like I really haven't made the most of the opportunities.

I checked out the jazz gig thread and I've taken a couple of points on board.

Right now there's also the linguistic barrier (ich spreche aber nicht so gut Deutsch!), but I'm crossing my fingers on owners of these places being cool with speaking English. This is more problem when it comes to joining a band, in addition to my not actually knowing any "formal" jazz.

I'll give it a stab and report back. This could take weeks or even months, but let's see!

Thanks ever so much again!

Tar Viturawong
Amateur composer and pianist
Known on YouTube as pianoinspiration
verbis defectis musica incipit

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission