2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, 4 invisible), 1,281 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
MarcoM Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I find myself in the situation of finally being able to buy a digital piano and to start taking lessons (I have doodled on keyboards in my teens, about 20 years ago, for several years, but never owned a piano): given past experiences in other instruments (drums & guitar) I do think it is a good idea to get a 'starter' instrument not to overspend on something that I might not like that much later on, and to buy a 'for keeps' instrument once I know what sound/feel/... I am after.

At the same time I am definitely against 'starter' instruments that hinder, rather than help, the learning via poor quality or other issues.

As much as the AP-45 does not have all the latest bell & whistles the newer celvianos or other DPs have (64 poly, instead of 128, no triple sensor/escapement) it does seem to get pretty good reviews/comments here, but I couldn't find any posts talking about its action and if it's "good enough" so that if I have it for practice I won't be a fish out of water on the (I assume non digital) teacher piano and that it will help me learn things "right" so to speak.

I do not plan to use the AP-45 for concerts or anything, just to learn piano on for a few years at least, in a hopefully enjoyable manner (ergo my question about action, as it sounds quite nice in the youtube videos I was able to find about it).

I have been thinking about the AP-45 also due to the fact that it's easily available for cheap online, and at my level of competence I wouldn't be really able to make an informed decision in a piano store (ok, the v-piano felt really good in my regular music shop, but at this point in time it'd be a bit too much for me )

Thanks for any information you might have, I have been lurking on this excellent forum for a while now and I guess it's time to start partecipating (probably in the adult beginner forum hopefully soon!).

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
If the ap45 is good or not depends on the price. It's discontinued so I assume you are looking at a used model. So you need to compare what else you could buy for the same money.

My opinion is that you can learn using any decent weighted hammer action keyboard.

M
MarcoM Offline OP
OP Offline
M
it's still sold new on costco.ca (for $649, which is a fairly decent price, not sure where they are finding new ones but apparently it shows as in stock), they also have the px730, px800 and apparently the ap-420 will come in stock soon, but of course for quite a bit more $$$ (it's listed at 1299 and there might be a $200-$300 sale according to a forum post I saw).

The main difference between the ap-45 and the ap-420 is, besides the new sound engine of course, the new triple sensor keyboard: if it does make a big difference of course I would consider it, but if it's only a minor improvement (from the learning perspective, I am sure the ap-420 will sound nicer) I would rather save my money for a better digital piano down the road.

J
J
Touch is very subjective, but I love the touch of my AP-45. I was trying out grand pianos at Rick Jones Pianos last week and definitely felt that most felt just like the AP-45, give or take. It certainly is not a hinderance at all.

Also, I have no trouble going from the AP-45 to my Kawai UST-7 upright. {actually kind of prefer the Casio keyboard).

SOme people ar bothered with keyboard noise, "clacking", but I use headphones and never hear any of that.

Good luck which ever way you go.

Baldwin M
Casio PX-330
Casio AP-45

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission