2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, Colin Miles, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 8 invisible), 1,944 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1357674 01/25/10 01:05 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to ask a question that is basically so similar to everyone else's, but I have read the archives a lot and haven't quite found an answer.

I'm shopping for a digital piano, budget up to around $1800. I've played a lot of models, and like the sound and feel of Rolands best. I thought I had pretty much settled on the HP-201, which I really like. But I've read here that it will be soon replaced by the HP-302. Is it worth waiting for the 302? (Or can I get one somewhere now? I haven't spotted one yet. Any hanging out in central New Jersey or NYC?) What will it go for? I've found the HP-201 for $1700, which is near the top of my budget limit. I'm assuming the HP-302 will cost more than that? I am kind of impatient and not sure if I want to wait if it's going to be months. But if it's really worth it...

I also considered the F110, but haven't been able to find one to try out. I gather the HP201 has a better action, and honestly I think the F110 is kind of ugly (and I played an FP-4, which a salesman told me was very similar to the F-110, and didn't like it nearly as much). Should I reconsider?

My general requirements: I'm mostly a singer, not a great pianist, and want something to play the music I'm studying and accompany my singing, other sounds and recording features aren't important. I would like to improve my piano skills, too, though.

Thanks!
Mezzo

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You should go try the HP-203 and see if having that keyboard would make a difference for you because the HP-302 is basically going to get the HP-203 keyboard. I personally think the difference is big enough between 203 and 201 keyboard to be worth the wait especially when the HP-302 is likely going to cost less than the HP-203.

L
OP Offline
L
Thanks, 4evr88keys. I called some stores and no one seemed to have a good idea when the HP-302 would be arriving, but I did get that they would be selling it for around $2,500, quite a bit over my price range. I'm going to take your advice and try the HP-203 before I buy the 201 (they did have one in stock at my local store), but I think the prices may have solved my problem, unfortunately.

L
OP Offline
L
In case anyone is interested... J&R in NYC just called me back and they expect to have an Hp-302 next week! But it's going to cost $2,499, so I'm not sure if I want to try it, lest I tempt myself into financial trouble.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Lyric Mezzo, you may be interested to learn that Roland recently announced a new entry-level model, the RP201.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/RP201/

I would expect this instrument to be priced a little lower than the entry-level HP-302, while still retaining a number of good specifications.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
V
V
Why won't they stop with the PHA alpha II nonsense!?
Also, seems like this is a step back from the RP 101 in terms of speaker power...

Meh, the Satin black one still looks kinda gorgeous, and if you happen to like the action, this is basically the best thing you can get for this price...

Also, seems like this is a step back from the RP 101 in terms of speaker power.

Yes, I was a little surprised by that too - effectively half the output power of the RP101, yet still the same sized speakers.

I wonder if the RP201 is using a digital amp like the new HP30x models? This may explain the fall in power.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks for the additional advice! The RP201 costs $100 less than the HP201. Is the action the only significant difference between them? I think I'm willing to pay $100 extra for the better action, but since the RP201 is a more recent model does it have technological advantages?

V
V
Nope, the HP 201 is still better IMO.
It has better speakers, the same soundsorce (?), better action, USB, ...
The only advantage of the RP 201 is that it has more sounds. And the Satin Black finish is awesome.

James: Ooh, so thet's why the HP-301 only has 14 W per channel!
I was wondering for some time about that...

Last edited by Vid_w; 01/26/10 06:17 PM.
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks for all the help, everyone! I bought the HP-201! Some friends are coming over to help put it together tomorrow.

J
J
All of the Rolands of these types are great, so glad you got the HP 201. But just to clarify, the new RP 201 does have only 12 W power but it uses a new speaker system that is supposed to be more effecient and put out amazing sound equivelent to previous models. I'm thinking about possibly getting it, but need to try it out first.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Jasonplays4Jesus
All of the Rolands of these types are great, so glad you got the HP 201. But just to clarify, the new RP 201 does have only 12 W power but it uses a new speaker system that is supposed to be more effecient and put out amazing sound equivelent to previous models. I'm thinking about possibly getting it, but need to try it out first.

A 3db gain in speaker efficiency has the same effect as doubling the wattage of the amp. It's to bad the specs never tell you what really mattrs

I know first hand that with just 6W (a basic two tube Fender amp) and a very efficient speaker I can get the people who live across the street to come outside to see where the noise is coming from -- My guitar playing is not that good so I rarely turn it up.

Originally Posted by Lyric Mezzo
Thanks for all the help, everyone! I bought the HP-201! Some friends are coming over to help put it together tomorrow.

What do you mean to help put it together? Do they sell HP Models disassembled?

Andrew
T
T
Originally Posted by surgtech
Originally Posted by Lyric Mezzo

What do you mean to help put it together? Do they sell HP Models disassembled?

This is correct. It is good for transport. The tech from the store i bought it from, put it together at my place.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission