2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 75 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 74 75
C
C
Originally Posted by kawaian

I think we all have understood that you don't trust this test, so please... let us techie geeks just compare the test results to see what (maybe not completely accurate) technology, sampling length etc. lies behind the different models, and you can discuss the (never heard it but I trust you) great sounding quality of CP-1 and others at another thread. I would of course then join you there, without even mentioning this thread...

Pardon me? I'm not stopping you geeks from comparing test results.

If you can question my motives for trusting the word of respected professional people, it shouldn't bother you if I question the integrity of a test that can have errors, bias, or both.

Just skip my posts if you don't like them. Start another thread if you feel like it.

Last time I looked we all have a say in any topic.

Regards,

Colleen

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Yes I agree, those that have played the CP1 seem universally impressed. I'd love to try one but would probably have to travel a couple of hours in the car to find one.

Like I said, let us know what you think when you try the one the shop is ordering...maybe put something on the other thread specifically about the new Yamaha stage pianos.

The next big deal is going to be a proper comparison between the CP1 and 5...on the face of it the 5 appears to offer better value.

Cheers,

Steve

C
C
Originally Posted by EssBrace

The next big deal is going to be a proper comparison between the CP1 and 5...on the face of it the 5 appears to offer better value.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Steve,

I will post my impression as soon as possible.

I'm more interested in the CP-1 for it's acoustic piano, and equally as much, the Rhodes emulations.

I play an old Fender Rhodes at church, and it's action is very uneven and the whole instrument itself needs a lot of work, new hammer tips, and perhaps an overhaul of the action.

I don't need organ sounds, as I have a Hammond A-100, so the wooden ungraded action of the CP-1 will be perfect for my style, plus I can adjust the sounds to my liking.

The Rhodes I'm presently playing is too bell-like in the top octaves, and is using the old style tone-bars, so being able to adjust with the CP-1 will be nice; also the DX Electric piano will be very nice for slow pieces.

I think they will probably bring in CP-5's when available.

If the CP-1 doesn't quite meet my conditions, I'm also going to look at the RD-series with the added Supernatural piano card.

I'll be looking forward to your impressions of the CP-1 as well.

Best regards,

Colleen

P
P
Yes I agree, those that have played the CP1 seem universally impressed.

Does anyone know where a CP1 can be played in the Los Angeles area? I keep thinking there's got to be one available to try around here, but I haven't been able to find one yet.

Mychal

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kawaian
finally I've made it to record my KAWAI CA-63 (sound is also identical to KAWAI CA-93).

Thanks very much for the file kawaian!

This DP has nice things going for it. I couldn't see much in the way of stretching, and couldn't hear it at all as it was only on some of the upper notes.

Layer blending is also very well done.

Looping and sample length are about par for the course, and note decay is a bit fast, though there is some quantization noise in the sample that keeps me from hearing everything going on near the noise floor (most likely introduced during the DPBSD recording process, and probably not something the DP itself is doing).

--------------
- Kawai CA63 -
--------------
FILE & SETUP:
- dp_bsd_v1.3_kawai_ca63.mp3
PROS:
- Large dynamic range (~51dB, vel=1:127).
- Looping is fairly well done.
- No audible sample stretching.
- Stretch distances: 1(x72),2,4,2,1,1,2,2,1,1 = 81 groups.
- This is a very smoothly blended multi-velocity layer sample set.
- There are three semi-visible velocity switches @ vel=46,78,124 (4 layer?).
- Responds to partial pedaling.
CONS:
- Looped, though not too badly done.
- Samples lengths are (C2:C9) 3,3.3,2,1.6,1.7,1.6,1.3,0.6 seconds.
- Note decay rather short (~1/2 Pianoteq).
- One velocity layer switch is fairly audible (timbre change) @ vel=124.
- No obvious pedal up/down or key up samples.
- No obvious sympathetic resonance.
OTHER:
- MP3 levels very good: peak @ -3dB, noise floor @ -78dB.
- Some "mosquito noise" at noise floor - quantization noise?
- Date reviewed: 2010-02-16

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
That's interesting Dewster as I think I remember that Kawai claims to use 88 note sampling on the CA-63 and CA-93. How clear is the stretching from your analysis?

Best wishes,

Steve

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I haven't seen such blatant tag teaming among friends and meaningless statements like those shown on this thread since the old PSS threads on the acoustic forum!

Great stuff. Truly entertaining.

" I don't trust data or my own fingers and ears; I blindly copy the behavior of those I see as authorities because it is easier and safer! "

" I ordered one and so did my student." But (later:) "we are not committed to buy as the store was getting two anyway!"

" Soul can't be analyzed by a computer with its squiggly lines. If the facts don't look good, trash the facts! "

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
That's interesting Dewster as I think I remember that Kawai claims to use 88 note sampling on the CA-63 and CA-93. How clear is the stretching from your analysis?

I wasn't aware of their claim, but here is the spectral view of what I'm calling the 2,4,2 stretch groups on the CA-63:

[Linked Image]
The 2 group on the right might or might not be a real one, but the 2 group on the left and 4 group in the middle look pretty definite. I will say in my defense that it gets very difficult to see or hear these things on the upper end of the keyboard. I could be entirely wrong, but that's what it looks like to me. It isn't audible (to me).

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Cheers,

Steve

I'd say the CP-5 would be the best deal for stage use if you only want to bring one keyboard....I want strings, organ, brass and clavinet sounds.

Won't see a CP-5 for a bit yet.

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Well the spectral view certainly shows something quite definite, I agree. On the other hand, if you can't hear it chances are no one else would!

Cheers,

Steve

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
End of March did I read? It does appear to be the sweet spot in the range.

Steve

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by theJourney

I don't trust data or my own fingers and ears; I blindly copy the behavior of those I see as authorities because it is easier and safer!

Gee, Joe...you and Colleen think the same. wink

How sweet.

You getting a CP-1 too?

Good luck...they're scarce.

Snazzy

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
They are a mass-produced consumer product with less than revolutionary technology made by a huge Japanese conglomerate out of perhaps a hundred dollars of plastic and silicon.

The only scarcity that matters is the scarcity of people willing and able to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars for a digital stage piano that is most noteworthy to date for its ho hum trade show demos, team cheers on forums, slick marketing brochures and a massive dim-able product logo on the back. Yee hah!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
End of March did I read? It does appear to be the sweet spot in the range.

Steve

It's the new un-graded wood keyboard that I'm very interested in, otherwise the CP-50 might be pretty good for gigging and/or home play.

The CP-5 and CP-50 also have the same display but the CP-5 has balanced outs like the CP-1.

End of March appears to be right.

Snazzy

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
dewster, yes the CA93/CA63 utilise 88-key sampling (as do all other KAWAI DPs released since the ES6).

I too would be interested to see your spectral analysis of the top notes from a purely modelled source (V-Piano, Pianoteq). Perhaps note stretching would still be visible (as in your CA63 analysis), despite the fact that this is obviously not the case.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
S
I recorded the P-80 again, this time with reverb off:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bw...WQ0LTkxOWQtZjE1M2NlZTU2NzM2&hl=en_GB

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by theJourney

They are a mass-produced consumer product with less than revolutionary technology made by a huge Japanese conglomerate out of perhaps a hundred dollars of plastic and silicon.

The only scarcity that matters is the scarcity of people willing and able to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars for a digital stage piano that is most noteworthy to date for its ho hum trade show demos, team cheers on forums, slick marketing brochures and a massive dim-able product logo on the back. Yee hah!

Sounds right up your alley. Joe.

You could also get the logo put on your big hat. wink

Snazzy

I love this place. wink

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
One big happy dysfunctional family. wink

Snazzy

dewster Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by madshi
@dewster, maybe you could put a disclaimer on the first post of this thread, explaining the purpose (and the limits!) of these tests?

Like you, I've been disclaimering my ass off throughout this entire thread. I was seriously considering writing a script or something that would automatically insert IMO at the end of every one of my sentences. But implementing Operation Ignore changed all that.

Page 13 of 75 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 74 75

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission