2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, crab89, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I want to connect my P-85 to my computer for recording. Can someone tell me the best way to do this? Should I get an adapter and go from the 1/4" headphone jack to the 1/8" jack on my computer? Is the quality better if I use the UX16 USB-MIDI cable from Yamaha? Will Audacity work? Should I buy a better piece of software?

etc.

(My apologies if this has come up before. I tried to search and didn't find anything.)

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by BlueBKLYN
I want to connect my P-85 to my computer for recording. Can someone tell me the best way to do this? Should I get an adapter and go from the 1/4" headphone jack to the 1/8" jack on my computer? Is the quality better if I use the UX16 USB-MIDI cable from Yamaha? Will Audacity work? Should I buy a better piece of software?

etc.

(My apologies if this has come up before. I tried to search and didn't find anything.)

There are two ways to go. (1) "MIDI". This means the kaypress data is set over USB to the computer where all the keypress and velocity data are recorded. Computer software converts this to piano (or other) sound. You can get some very high quality sound this way and the MIDI data is easy to edit for wrong notes and the like.

Or (2) recoed the audio sound from headphone jacks or lineout. Audacity works OK for this.

What else you need in theway of equipment depends on your computer and the quality of it's sound system.

If the computer is a Mac, it is prtty much plug and play, They are setup at the factory for both kinds of recording and editing. If you have a generic Windows PC then you have some work to do both hardware and software.

Also you have to ask yourself how serious you are about recording. It is just going to be one take while the tape rolls and not post production edit and mastering or are you going to combine the best parts or multiple "takes" and then work in post production ti polish the work

How you answer all these questions determines what you need.

OP Offline
Well, I want the best quality possible and I'm quite fond of audio editing. I'm not opposed to buying software, etc.

Also, I'll be using a high-end HP PC running Vista.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Get an interface like the Mbox Mini (which comes with Pro Tools software) and a MIDI-USB interface like Cakewalk's UM-2G. (The benefit of interfaces like the Cakewalk is "MIDI thru" which allows you to use it without a computer.) Switch the P85's "local control" to OFF. (Look that up in the manual.) Record the MIDI and the audio in Pro Tools--MIDI via the MIDI in/out jacks and MIDI-USB interface, and the sound via 1/4" outputs to the Mbox. You want to record the MIDI too, because if you upgrade with a new digital piano or software piano at some point, then you won't have to perform it all over again--just hook up the new piano (or load the new plug-in piano) and have Pro Tools play back the MIDI to record the sound again.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
OK then you are going to want to us a "software instrument". Your P85 will be used as a kind a "computer keyboard" very much like the way a standard QWERTY keyboard is used.

Get a software edit/recording system (ProTools and CuBase are two common ones. Logic is also very common but it s Mac-only while the other two run on both PC and Mac. These are _expensive_ programs but both have "lite" versions and can be gotten cheaply as part of a bundle.

Also you need to get a virtual software piano. These can run inside the above or stand alone. Stand alone is OK for live playing, inside as a plug-in for more serous recording "punch in" multi tracking and so on. Some virtual pianos are "Pianoteq" and "Synthology's "Ivory". But there are a dozen other good ones. I like Sampltekk's "Black grand, close mic'd" You can hear sampls of it here If you playing is up to it you should be able to get the same sound quality. Here is aother sample, maybe better suited for clasical recording demo MP3 These sample sets sell for $49 but people seem to like to the others for 6 or 7 times the price. You will have to listen to hundreds of these to make up your mind.

You will likey need a good set on monitor speakers. ans eventually you will want a good USB audio interface. Problems to solve will be monitoring while you play and keeping latency down

Last edited by ChrisA; 02/15/10 11:29 PM.
C
C
Sounds good but how many dynamic layers does the steinway D have?
And you have to download it? Thats like how many gigs ?

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission