2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
38 members (benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, 3 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1373533 02/14/10 01:38 PM
H
hokie Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I am planning to buy a DP for my daughter and had narrowed it down to probably a YDP223 using a presidents day deal. It seems Yamaha is introducing the YDP181 to replace it, but not until July. They are introducing the v240 next month. It looks like the list price of the 240 will be $100 more than the 181. Has anyone researched and compared these 2? I know they aren't out yet. If the V240 exceeds the 223 and 181, I will likely wait and get that next month, but I don't think I can wait until August for the 181. I am just not sure if the v240 has the same stuff as the 181 plus a little more, or what its shortcomings may be. Just need something for daughter to practice on, going with a DP for space concerns and the ability for her to wear headphones. Looking at spending around $1500 give or take. Any input would be appreciated.

S
S
OK, keep in mind that I lean toward the "tolerant" rather than "picky" side of this group. My feeling is do some research, visit some music stores, but don't agonize. And don't spend a fortune on a DP. Sometime in the next ten years, you will probably want to buy another piano (acoustic or newer DP).

I happen to teach one day per week at a Music and Arts store where the YDP-223 is now going for $1200 (clearance special). I imagine you could find a YDP-223 somewhere near you at the same price. I've been teaching on a YDP-223 at the store for nearly ten years. For beginning through intermediate students it's absolutely fine.

Yes, the YDP-181 sounds like a better instrument based on the specs (see Yamaha's website). It has the same GH keyboard but higher polyphony, three sample layers and damper resonance. The YDP-240, on the other hand, has more "fun" features but its keyboard has the somewhat inferior GHS action. That's not a huge problem. Some of my better students have GHS action on their home instruments.

To summarize, any one of the three models would be fine. In your situation I'd go with the less-expensive and currently-avialable YDP-223. (But let's see what the "picky" folks have to say.)

FWIW, I'm very happy with my Kawai CE-200. Real wooden keys for $1700 but hard to find one to try.

Teacher. 1926 Steinway M. Kawai CE200. Casio PX3. Yamaha P-60. Yamaha NP-30. Roland C-30 Digital Harpsichord. Roland Integra 7.
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
I would not buy a Yamaha with "GHS" key action. But any Yamaha with "GH" action will suit your needs.

The P155, CP33, YDP160 and YDP223 all have GH. Yamaha has anounced some new pianos too. Some of these are based on the GH yey action. The most exciting upcoming DP from Yamaha to be would be the CP50. It uses the newer generation of sound samples.

It's odd the the V240 would have a higher model number but use GHS key action. I think this is the first time Yamaha has done this out-of-order model numbering.

But really for practice, any GH based Yamaha will be fine.

(Yes, I know a few people actually prefer the less expensive GHS key action. Try it. If you are in that minority then you are lucky and can save some money.)

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
ChrisA, the YDP-V240 is the successor to the YDP-223, which utilised the GHE 'Graded Hammer Effect' keyboard.

I'm afraid I do not know how the GHE compares with GHS.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
H
hokie Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Thanks for the input. We basically have one local store with 2 branches that has very little inventory to try out. I am pretty sure we want the 3 pedals, so that eliminates several models.

My daughter liked the Kawai CN32 the best (of her very limited choices) but the price is $2200 (and even if they come down some it won't be enough). Any thoughts on how this model compares to a CE200? She disliked most of the Kawai consoles as the keys made too noticable of a thumping sound as she played them.

She tried a Yamaha YDP 160 - sound wasn't great but she liked the keys but did not like the lack of buttons.

She has been on a keyboard for far too long, so it may be time to just get the 223 and move on since the 181 won't be out until August.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by KAWAI James
ChrisA, the YDP-V240 is the successor to the YDP-223, which utilised the GHE 'Graded Hammer Effect' keyboard.

I'm afraid I do not know how the GHE compares with GHS.

Cheers,
James
x

My reading of the Yamaha web page says "GHS"
Take a look here
I was surprized but t's pretty clear Not only is it GHS but the specs say only 3 layer samples and 64 polyphony.

My guess is that this piano has so many non-piano voices and accompaniments that the softer GHS keys are a good compromise between piano and non-piano sounds

I think "GHE" is Yamah's old term for "GH".

Last edited by ChrisA; 02/15/10 01:12 AM.
Online Content
Originally Posted by ChrisA
My reading of the Yamaha web page says "GHS"...

Yes, I believe that's what I wrote initially.
The YDP-223 uses GHE, and the YDP-V240 uses GHS.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission