2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, CrashTest, 6 invisible), 2,153 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 34 of 50 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 49 50
M
M
Isn't that the same player as before, just in a new video? Still no sign of Olaf Brauns. Too bad, his videos were always so wonderful and he was never shy to express some criticism if there there was something he didn't like about a piano.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
No, different player this time, who I think is better than Olaf. The previous player just banged some chords out rather clumsily. But you are quite right, Olaf makes the best videos and has nice modest playing style.

M
M
The problem is that Olaf is the only player who will occasionally play something recognizable like Bach. The others just noodle around as if they are playing in a bar. To evaluate the tone of a piano I need to hear a piece I know, not some laughable improvisations. I'm more interested in how the CP-1 sounds in counterpoint, not as a terrible 1980s Pop piano.

I suspect Olaf is the only one of them who has had real (Classical) piano lessons at some point, and boy does it show...

E
eep Offline
E
Does anyone know how the sympathetic resonance model behaves in the CP-1/5/50? If you hold down middle C without sounding it, and then you bang staccato on low C, does it do the right thing? That is to say, is resonance modeled for individual key dampers?

And does anyone know if the CP-33 does this? I'm also trying to decide between cheaper now or pricier later... Thanks!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EssBrace
No, different player this time, who I think is better than Olaf. The previous player just banged some chords out rather clumsily. But you are quite right, Olaf makes the best videos and has nice modest playing style.

Thanks for the pointer Steve! He seems to have a decent touch.

Too bad the audio is mono though. And I suspect these guys are paid by the note. smile

Z
Z
I keep expecting to see Dr. Popper drop in here with more impressions of the CP-1 but perhaps he hasn't gotten his yet or maybe he can't tear himself away from the keyboard to post a reply. I'm hoping it is the later choice.

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
I hope he'll include his impression of the CFIII-Soft.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I agree, CFIII-Soft is the one that made me think again about the Yamaha sound....just beautiful from what we've heard so far. What impressed me particularly was the fact that some "mellow" or "soft" patches on DPs in general sound dull and just basically EQ'd down in the treble. The CP1-Soft sounded completely articulate and lacked that muffled sound you sometimes get.

Steve

L
L
I have bought a CP1, just played a small session and recorded in different piano modes

http://www.solopianodiary.com/yamaha-cp1.html

If you wanna sing out, sing out.
If you wanna be free, be free.
There's a million things to be, you know that there are.
M
M
Thanks linken! Would you mind recording the test file from this thread?

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1365103/The DP BSD Project!.html

That would be awesome!!

P.S: Like your playing, btw.

Last edited by madshi; 02/11/10 02:39 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by linken
I have bought a CP1, just played a small session and recorded in different piano modes

Nice playing linken! And congratulations on the new CP1!

I second the request for a DPBSD MP3 (just make sure the MIDI tempo is set to 120 and the reverb is turned off). If you can do it, I'm sure many people here would be very grateful.

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by EssBrace
I agree, CFIII-Soft is the one that made me think again about the Yamaha sound....just beautiful from what we've heard so far. What impressed me particularly was the fact that some "mellow" or "soft" patches on DPs in general sound dull and just basically EQ'd down in the treble. The CP1-Soft sounded completely articulate and lacked that muffled sound you sometimes get. Steve
+1!

L
L
Someone at Guitar center told me the CP50 will only come out in august. Is this true?

Well, their website says "due 3/31/2010", so someone's telling porkies...

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
10fingers, is cockney rhyming slang popular in California...?

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Septic Tanks talking Cockney? I wouldn't 'ave Adam and Eved it unless I'd seen it with my own mince pies.

Sorry about the OT response, but there's still at least a month or more to go before we get to actually handle the CP5 and CP50, and I'm getting bored...

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
P
P
Originally Posted by snazzyplayer
It will have to go a long way in beating the action in my CP-300, which is definitely one the best in a digital, in my opinion, aside from the action in my Avant Grand.

I'm still annoyed that they are only implementing one wheel on the CP-1/5/50, and none of them are a whole lot lighter than my CP-300; and it has speakers!

If they aren't all they's cracked up to be, I'm buying an XK-1 Hammond to put on top of my CP-300 instead.

Snazzy

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I'm a pianist, and make my living as a musician. I've got a 7' Bosendorfer, and some synths and keyboards. I'm interested in updating my digital piano rig, and this forum discussion is the best I've found concerning these new CPs.

What Snazzy said there caught my interest. The digital piano that looks the most interesting to me, other than these new CPs, is the CP-300. I like that I could put another keyboard directly on top of the CP-300. I can see from the pictures that it's a different arrangement on the CP1/5 - there are knobs and the display up on top of the keyboard. So it would be harder to figure out a way to put another keyboard on top. What is that material on top of the CP1 and CP5? Is it plastic? Is it hard, or does it give pretty easily if you push on it? Is the whole top slanted down towards the keys?

Also, the extra sounds on the CP5 - are they the same as the extra sounds on the CP-300? They call them "XG Voices" on the 300. Any idea if they are better, or different on the CP5, than what's included on the CP-300?

Thanks very much if anyone can help me with these questions. I just found this forum today, and I read almost this entire thread about the new CPs, but I did skim a little in the middle. I apologize if these questions have already been answered earlier in the thread.

Mychal

Originally Posted by KAWAI James
10fingers, is cockney rhyming slang popular in California...?

Only amongst transplants, James. And as voxpops voiced, there's a month to go (at least!!!) 'til these boards come out, and so I'm doing my bit to keep the thread near the top of the list while not actually contributing anything of substance.

Could it all be a Yamaha plot (a la Steve Jobs) to stir up interest to a frenzy before the arrival?

Jonathan

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peakly

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I'm a pianist, and make my living as a musician. I've got a 7' Bosendorfer, and some synths and keyboards. I'm interested in updating my digital piano rig, and this forum discussion is the best I've found concerning these new CPs.

What Snazzy said there caught my interest. The digital piano that looks the most interesting to me, other than these new CPs, is the CP-300. I like that I could put another keyboard directly on top of the CP-300. I can see from the pictures that it's a different arrangement on the CP1/5 - there are knobs and the display up on top of the keyboard. So it would be harder to figure out a way to put another keyboard on top. What is that material on top of the CP1 and CP5? Is it plastic? Is it hard, or does it give pretty easily if you push on it? Is the whole top slanted down towards the keys?

Also, the extra sounds on the CP5 - are they the same as the extra sounds on the CP-300? They call them "XG Voices" on the 300. Any idea if they are better, or different on the CP5, than what's included on the CP-300?

Thanks very much if anyone can help me with these questions. I just found this forum today, and I read almost this entire thread about the new CPs, but I did skim a little in the middle. I apologize if these questions have already been answered earlier in the thread.

Mychal

Mychal,
There is actually a used CP300 going in our neighborhood. Considering the recent drop in price they may be willing to bargain even more - just thought I would pass it on thumb

CP300 on Local Southern Cal Cragislist

- SC

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
In case anyone is interested, I just posted a DPBSD review of Lawrence's CP1 over on that thread.

Linkeydink

Page 34 of 50 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 49 50

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission