2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Charles Cohen, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Teodor Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I had an argument with someone yesterday and we talked for an hour and I couldn't convince him that playing piano is more than pressing the right keys at the right time. But he insisted that all these people that play, let's say, classical music in concerts are just 'copying' someone else's work and they are not doing much at all. I showed him a recording of Freddy Kempff playing Pathetique, he said it's mechanical, "That guy just knows the right keys and presses them real fast... also he is just playing someone else's work why do you admire him so much? I only respect people who play their own music"

My room mate thinks the same. Yesterday he told me "There is nothing to it, great pianists just practiced so much that playing has become mechanical for them... Would you admire me if I wrote real fast? It's the same thing..."

What about expression... own interpretation... why don't they understand it... How would you convince such people that what pianists like this one have achieved something admirable and it's not just repeating something or pressing keys, there is much more to it, they have magic in them and they make music, they don't just repeat it like a cd player....

[Linked Image]
Recitals:[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
They might not be capable of hearing or understanding music in a way to understand that, or maybe they have the ability but don't want to think hard enough about it to tap into it.

But maybe some day they will. smile
And maybe you'll have a chance to try with them again.

The thing you described can happen on any subject -- whatever......cars, for example. You might be talking about how one car is better than another, or just different. Some people won't be able to tell the difference. If they realize it's just them, that's not too bad -- but some people will swear you're just imagining the difference or making it up.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
If I were arguing with your friends, I'd ask them what they think about other instruments. Does a violinist, or a clarinetist, produce something other than mere mechanics? What about a vocalist?

If they say "yes", then it seems they perceive the piano as fundamentally different, similarly to how some people don't consider photography a true art form, because "all you do is press a button." I'd try to convince them that timing, velocity, pedal, use of hand weight, and many other factors make the piano as expressive a medium as the violin and the human voice.

If they say "no", then they're saying there's no real expression in the performance of classical music in general; that musical performance can always be reduced to its mechanistic parts. But then, I'd ask, is there any valid performance art, or is it all just mechanical "copying"? What about acting? Or dance? Then I'd try to get them to articulate what they think the difference is between that medium and music performance... with the aim of getting them to realize that there's no real difference.

Sounds like fun. (Sarcasm? I'm not sure.) Anyway, have fun with it.

-Jason

Teodor Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
They think about every instrument in the same manner. The first person I was having that argument with plays guitar in his free time, his opinion is that not only playing is mechanical but also doing covers or own interpretations is not making music but simply repeating someone's work...

[Linked Image]
Recitals:[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Teodor
They think about every instrument in the same manner. The first person I was having that argument with plays guitar in his free time, his opinion is that not only playing is mechanical but also doing covers or own interpretations is not making music but simply repeating someone's work...

So (following my above argument) is acting and dance pure mechanics and nothing else? If they say "no", try to get them to articulate the difference-- if you poke hard enough, these "differences" should all fall apart. If they say "yes", then they have a peculiar theory of artistic aesthetics that extends way beyond the realm of the piano. smile

-Jason

Last edited by beet31425; 02/12/10 04:35 AM. Reason: flipped my yes and no
1RC Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm guessing your friends have no experience in interpretation?

My thought is that somebody who's unfamiliar with what goes on in classical performance simply doesn't have a lot to compare it to, so they really DO think that everything that gets performed was written on the page. Have you tried showing them a midi recording, with all the right notes in truely mechanical time, without dynamic shading - all the notes there, as fast as anyone could want it, but sounding terrible...

The contrast might help them understand how the written music is just a blueprint, and how the performer must read between the lines and develop an understanding of the piece in order to bring it to life. The greater the understanding, the more the performance can express.

As for creating a new work vs performing something Beethoven wrote, well there are many different ways to approach music. I think creating original works is a fine task, perhaps if I aspired to be a composer I'd do more of it, but in the meantime I doubt I could write as well as Beethoven, so I'll play his music.

Which brings up another question for your friends - do they believe in such a thing as quality in art?

An analogy that might be more accessible for them could be actors - they're highly respected for how they deliver lines that someone else wrote.

The art is in imagining the entire work before any execution. If you don't have the whole work, what is related to what - why and how, in your mind as you play it will be mechanical.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
"That guy just knows the right keys and presses them real fast...

Your friend is, quite obviously, one brilliant individual. That quote reminds me of one that I read on Youtube in regard to a Kissin performance:
"when he plays he only touches the notes that are necessary, from a strategically planned angle so he doesn't touch anything else"

Where do these people come from?

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I know the perfect piano teacher for your friend: http://www.concerthands.com/. laugh There's a good chance that they were simply messing with you to rile you up. Guys your age often do that for fun.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Johann Sebastian Bach: "It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself." smile

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I showed him a recording of Freddy Kempff playing Pathetique, he said it's mechanical, "That guy just knows the right keys and presses them real fast... also he is just playing someone else's work why do you admire him so much? I only respect people who play their own music"

Perhaps you might show him Wilhelm Kempff in comparison to Freddy Kempf (one 'f' with Freddy I believe). All the same notes (and even in the same order) but different interpretations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSNBPtyVnx4&feature=PlayList&p=81BB570E319C82F2&index=12

Or better still Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata first movement (since it is so well known):

Valentina Lisitsa: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHd8jwXBzXE

Wilhelm Kempff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6txOvK-mAk

Brendel (no video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4b-PHPuwiM

All three very different.

Last edited by John_B; 02/12/10 08:02 AM.
Originally Posted by jazzyprof
Johann Sebastian Bach: "It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself." smile
I am so sick of that stupid misquote. It was reported by someone called J.F. Köhler. Bach replies to a compliment about his organ playing - "There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right notes at the right time, and the instrument plays itself." - probably very applicable to organ playing but certainly NOT ANY OTHER INSTRUMENT! From The Bach Reader ed. David and Mendel.

or from Spitta: Once when some one had spoken with enthusiasm of his wonderful skill on the organ he said with indifference" There is nothing very wonderful about it ; you have only to hit the right notes at the right moment and the instrument does the rest."

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

Personally, I don't take offense to the characterization. I don't delude myself into thinking I'm creating art. I'd rather play something I like, at a high quality, than write or improvise sloppy drivel.

Have them listen to these 10 great piasnists playing the opening solo piano intro to Beethoven's PC No.4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZGiGMCiB3k

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Never argue with idiots...people watching may not know who is the idiot.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John_B
I showed him a recording of Freddy Kempff playing Pathetique, he said it's mechanical, "That guy just knows the right keys and presses them real fast... also he is just playing someone else's work why do you admire him so much? I only respect people who play their own music"

Perhaps you might show him Wilhelm Kempff in comparison to Freddy Kempf (one 'f' with Freddy I believe). All the same notes (and even in the same order) but different interpretations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSNBPtyVnx4&feature=PlayList&p=81BB570E319C82F2&index=12

Or better still Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata first movement (since it is so well known):

Valentina Lisitsa: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHd8jwXBzXE

Wilhelm Kempff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6txOvK-mAk

Brendel (no video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4b-PHPuwiM

All three very different.

You're right. Freddy, has one, Wilhelm, has two.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I guess your friends should never go to the movies, since the actors don't write their own lines!

Estonia L190 #7004
Casio CDP S350
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
It's a good thing it wasn't me who was arguing with your friends because I probably would've strangled them. You can't argue with people like that - you just call them idiots and leave.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
Frankly, I think they're not far off the mark. It's no wonder most people aren't interested, when the vast majority of pianists exhibit so little creativity.

N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
The art is in imagining the entire work before any execution. If you don't have the whole work, what is related to what - why and how, in your mind as you play it will be mechanical.

So a great pianist could not play a single phrase from a Chopin nocturne with any musicianship, if he did not know the whole piece? Cortot would have played a phrase from a piece he'd never seen more mechanically than somebody who had imagined the whole piece? It might be played differently, if related to the rest, but why on earth should it be 'mechanical' in any sense whatsoever? I think you're confusing the notions of basic musicality with the issue of context (not to mention getting carrried away with nonsensically vague soundbites).

Last edited by Nyiregyhazi; 02/12/10 01:48 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission