2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 9 invisible), 1,391 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Teodor
I had an argument with someone yesterday and we talked for an hour and I couldn't convince him that playing piano is more than pressing the right keys at the right time. But he insisted that all these people that play, let's say, classical music in concerts are just 'copying' someone else's work and they are not doing much at all.

I agree with your friend. But I wouldn't say they weren't doing much. It's hard work playing classical music.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I've run into many people like Teodor's friend. Some of what they said like "if you are not composing but just playing someone else composition, you are not an artist. You are just a copycat". "copying is easy, anyone who can read notes can play anything".

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LisztAddict
I've run into many people like Teodor's friend. Some of what they said like "if you are not composing but just playing someone else composition, you are not an artist. You are just a copycat". "copying is easy, anyone who can read notes can play anything".

Yeah. I would give them Prok 2nd concerto and say, "copy that you @*^#%*$^#$&"

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Teodor, there is nothing you can say, you have to reach out and grab them, musically. You have to play and reach into their soul. You know you've got them when their faces get red and their feet squirm.

If you don't make them squirm, then it is true, your playing is lifeless.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Nyiregyhazi
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
The art is in imagining the entire work before any execution. If you don't have the whole work, what is related to what - why and how, in your mind as you play it will be mechanical.

So a great pianist could not play a single phrase from a Chopin nocturne with any musicianship, if he did not know the whole piece? Cortot would have played a phrase from a piece he'd never seen more mechanically than somebody who had imagined the whole piece? It might be played differently, if related to the rest, but why on earth should it be 'mechanical' in any sense whatsoever? I think you're confusing the notions of basic musicality with the issue of context (not to mention getting carrried away with nonsensically vague soundbites).

Keyboardklutz is right.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I have heard a conductor say that you have to be thinking of the closing bars when you start the movement (probably Haitink).

Fits with kbk's view.

N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
I didn't suggest otherwise though. I pointed out that long-term pacing and musical shaping are totally different issues.

If you heard a pianist play a phrase from a lyrical composition, would you need to hear the rest to have any idea as to whether it was played musically or mechanically? In the example i outlined, would cortot be mechanical, had he not heard the whole composition but played a few phrases? Some of the most tedious mechanical performances I've heard come from those who obsess over the whole. structure governs the organisation of musical ideas. Whether a performer plays with life or like a robot is a short-term issue, not a long-term one. Mechanical performers can be identified in an instant from whether they can shape a single phrase or not . You Don't need to spend an hour comparing their tempo relations in the hammerklavier.

N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
I didn't suggest otherwise though. I pointed out that long-term pacing and musical shaping are totally different issues.

If you heard a pianist play a phrase from a lyrical composition, would you need to hear the rest to have any idea as to whether it was played musically or mechanically? In the example i outlined, would cortot be mechanical, had he not heard the whole composition but played a few phrases? Some of the most tedious mechanical performances I've heard come from those who obsess over the whole. structure governs the organisation of musical ideas. Whether a performer plays with life or like a robot is a short-term issue, not a long-term one. Mechanical performers can be identified in an instant from whether they can shape a single phrase or not . You Don't need to spend an hour comparing their tempo relations in the hammerklavier.

N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N

Originally Posted by Teodor
They think about every instrument in the same manner. The first person I was having that argument with plays guitar in his free time, his opinion is that not only playing is mechanical but also doing covers or own interpretations is not making music but simply repeating someone's work...

I wonder if you took it out of classical and put an example like this to him... If Eddie Van Halen and Eric Clapton were given the same piece of music to interpret...would it sound the same?

My thinking is that it would not.

[Linked Image]
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Nothing any human does is purely mechanical. It's simply not in our nature. Any action, no matter how repetitive, can be given its own beauty by skillful and graceful execution. So this argument is a non-starter from the beginning.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Surely the point is not whether an isolated phrase is played musically or not but that the musician's view of the whole movement (or piece) can and often will influence how that phrase is moulded, its dynamics, articulation, balance, etc.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Whether a performer plays with life or like a robot is a short-term issue, not a long-term one.

No, you're mistaken.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
To Nyiregyhazi:

Huh.....TRIPLE post.
That might be a record. smile

BTW -- you can delete 2 of them if you do it soon enough. And then I'll delete this one.

P.S. I have an old LP by Nyiregyhazi. It's good to have. smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stanza
I guess your friends should never go to the movies, since the actors don't write their own lines!

Or better yet, ask them if they would find the sports illustrated swimsuit models equally appealing if it was full of large "fat" women? Probably not, but then ask "Why? its just a girl who is wearing a bathing suit." If they say "no, because the girls worked hard to be thin, then say fine, you would be equally attracted to ugly thin girls in bathing suits?"

Beauty, like music is not something you can merely replicate through a mechanical process, for some people its natural for others it takes work, but to say piano is mechanical is like saying beauty is too.

Currently learning composition:

Some of my compositions
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by landorrano
Whether a performer plays with life or like a robot is a short-term issue, not a long-term one.

No, you're mistaken.

I agree with N. You can usually tell pretty quickly if the music sounds 'lifeless.'

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AngelinaPogorelich
Originally Posted by LisztAddict

Yeah. I would give them Prok 2nd concerto and say, "copy that you @*^#%*$^#$&"

laugh He-who-shall-not-be-named was like that. Hint: he had at least 4 usernames, and was exceptionally obnoxious.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I don't agree that interpretation is a purely mechanical exercise. However, as someone who took years to break through the pomp of it all and gain the courage to start composing, I understand where they're coming from. At some point, I was no longer satisfied playing only others' music, no matter how personal or faithful my interpretations.

N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Mark_C
To Nyiregyhazi:

Huh.....TRIPLE post.
That might be a record. smile

BTW -- you can delete 2 of them if you do it soon enough. And then I'll delete this one.

P.S. I have an old LP by Nyiregyhazi. It's good to have. smile

Sure is! Sorry about that. Stupid mobile phones!

N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by John_B
Surely the point is not whether an isolated phrase is played musically or not but that the musician's view of the whole movement (or piece) can and often will influence how that phrase is moulded, its dynamics, articulation, balance, etc.

The point of the whole yes. However, unless you really ARE suggesting that you cannot identify whether a lyrical phrase played by Cortot was mechanical or musical, without considering the entire performance, I really don't follow what point you are trying to make. Equally, you'd also have to argue that you couldn't call a bar of MIDI rendition mechanical until you'd heard the whole perfomance. This makes no sense. Structural playing is about how you decided to make relationships between sections. Those individual units can be mechnically played or musically played. Mechanical playing is that which simply doesn't feature any interest at all. It's totally different issues. Thinking too much about the whole, without stopping to add any short-term detail (such as melodic shaping)is precisely what leads to mechnical playing- especially as structure seems to be almost exclusively viewed in terms of unity and cohesion, rather than equally in terms of the differentiations that generate interest.

Last edited by Nyiregyhazi; 02/12/10 09:04 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission