2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 13 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 301 of 425 1 2 299 300 301 302 303 424 425
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'd have to look up the particulars, but wasn't the Fantaisie-Impromptu a private commission? In that case it wouldn't be published.

If Chopin did think poorly of this piece, well, he'd be outvoted by millions of fans.

Best wishes for surviving Snowmageddon, everyone. Our weather has been cold and wet here, too, with heavy snow in the nearby mountains but only minor issues where I live.

Elene

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Elene - I found on the Chopin website where you can listen to excerpt of the CD.
http://chopin2010.pl/en/multiChopin/index/id/4

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by loveschopintoomuch
After just a few minutes at the piano, using this method, I can already see some improvement.

I am so glad to know that helps.

when did you start playing the piano? What age?

A teacher?
for a bit more than one year then I was pretty much on my own until I was 15.

How many hours a day do you practice?
1-2 hours/day, but sometimes just 15-30 minutes/day. Then when I am on a business trip, I don't get to touch a keyboard for many days.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Elene
I'd have to look up the particulars, but wasn't the Fantaisie-Impromptu a private commission? In that case it wouldn't be published.

If Chopin did think poorly of this piece, well, he'd be outvoted by millions of fans.

Best wishes for surviving Snowmageddon, everyone. Our weather has been cold and wet here, too, with heavy snow in the nearby mountains but only minor issues where I live.

Elene

There are two theories that I'm aware of. One is that the A section resembles Moscheles' Impromptu in E flat, which Chopin would probably have known. The other (which I believe I read in an interview with Rubinstein) is that Chopin sold the final approved version to the Baroness d'Este and therefore could not publish it. If you take a look, the work is not dedicated to the Baroness. The phrase reads,"Composed for the Baroness." In other words, a commission. Who knows? I liked the piece the first 500 times I heard it.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
LA, it's amazing what you are accomplishing without being able to practice for long hours regularly. (Actually, it's pretty amazing no matter what.)

And I hope that hearing some Chopin is going to help the shuttle crew get through their mission-- and that they leave the CD for the space station crew. Of course I suppose they all have a good electronic selection of music up there anyway.

And thanks for the links to Dang Thai Son's recordings.

Elene

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Come to think of it, Chopin couldn't have thought the Fantaisie-Impromptu was beneath his standards, because if he had, he wouldn't even have given it to the Baronne d'Este, let alone sold it to her. He wouldn't have let it out at all; he would have been too perfectionistic for that.

Elene

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Come to think of it, Chopin couldn't have thought the Fantaisie-Impromptu was beneath his standards, because if he had, he wouldn't even have given it to the Baronne d'Este, let alone sold it to her. He wouldn't have let it out at all; he would have been too perfectionistic for that.

Elene

That's a fair point. He WAS, indeed, a perfectionist, so it makes you wonder, even more, why he asked for it to be destroyed after his death.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Remember, there was more than one version of the Fantaisie-Impromptu. The one Fontana based his edition on was not the one the Baroness had. Apparently the one in the lady's possession was the one the composer approved of.

Maurice Hinson has this to say in Chopin: Piano Music Inspired by Women in His Life (I know, silly title):

"In 1835 Chopin wrote the Fantaisie-Impromptu in the autograph album of Baroness d'Este. The album version bears the inscription in French: "Composed for the Baroness d'Este by Frédéric Chopin." This probably indicates a paid commission rather than a personal dedication; the Baroness kept it for her exclusive use, which may account for the fact that this work was never published during Chopin's lifetime. This manuscript is not as complete as it might have been had Chopin intended the work for publication (for example, pedaling is limited to four of its 138 measures), but it is nevertheless a more-than-adequate blueprint for any observant student.

"Chopin's friend and copyist Julian Fontana brought out his own version of this piece in 1855, six years after Chopin's death, even after Chopin had specifically requested that the work not be published posthumously. The Fontana version varies considerably from Chopin's 1835 version used in this collection."

(While Hinson is a careful editor, he has been known to get biographical facts wrong. However, as far as I know this is correct overall.)

Elene

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Wow!

Chopin in space! I've always said he was "far out." whome

Now the heavens will be more heavenly. heart

Kathleen

Last edited by loveschopintoomuch; 02/09/10 04:44 PM.

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Remember, there was more than one version of the Fantaisie-Impromptu. The one Fontana based his edition on was not the one the Baroness had. Apparently the one in the lady's possession was the one the composer approved of.

Maurice Hinson has this to say in Chopin: Piano Music Inspired by Women in His Life (I know, silly title):

"In 1835 Chopin wrote the Fantaisie-Impromptu in the autograph album of Baroness d'Este. The album version bears the inscription in French: "Composed for the Baroness d'Este by Frédéric Chopin." This probably indicates a paid commission rather than a personal dedication; the Baroness kept it for her exclusive use, which may account for the fact that this work was never published during Chopin's lifetime. This manuscript is not as complete as it might have been had Chopin intended the work for publication (for example, pedaling is limited to four of its 138 measures), but it is nevertheless a more-than-adequate blueprint for any observant student.

"Chopin's friend and copyist Julian Fontana brought out his own version of this piece in 1855, six years after Chopin's death, even after Chopin had specifically requested that the work not be published posthumously. The Fontana version varies considerably from Chopin's 1835 version used in this collection."

(While Hinson is a careful editor, he has been known to get biographical facts wrong. However, as far as I know this is correct overall.)

Elene

I knew that there was more than one version, but I've never read that from Hinson. If I remember correctly, the Fontana version was one that Chopin had reworked (after he'd written the 1835 version). A lot of Chopin manuscripts bear little pedal indication, though I understand him calling it a "blueprint". I wonder if Chopin's request to not have it published after his death, was, because he'd written it "for" d'Este, and wanted her to be able to continue to feel a sense of "ownership". I think, clearly, it wasn't all that important to Chopin, whether the work made it's way into "circulation". Very interesting questions really. It's a shame I rather tired of hearing the piece after roughly the thousandth time. I've always wanted to scream, "HELLOOOOOOO he wrote a TON of other music too!!!!!"

♪ ≠ $

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores
I've always wanted to scream, "HELLOOOOOOO he wrote a TON of other music too!!!!!"

I know exactly how you feel. laugh

C
C
Originally Posted by Curious223
Originally Posted by Curious223
I promised I'll update my learning on Chopin's C# moll Nocturne (posth.) so here goes.

I've been playing this masterpiece for about a month now. It has proven to be more difficult than I thought(what a suprise! :)). However, I've progressed pretty well. I manage to play the beginning quite well, but the chapter before the waltz part is relavitely hard. I have not even tried the 35-note run in the ending part, but I'm doing scales everyday so I am quite confident I'll manage to play it whenever I start to really focus on playing that part. Anyway, I'm havin fun time learning the Nocturne.

That's all for now. smile

Update:

Sigh.. I'm such a slow learner. I started to learn the C#mol Nocturne (posth.) two months ago. I feel like I have not progressed fast enough. At the same time I know i'm much better than I was a month ago. I've been playing the Nocturne like 30mins every day. Managing all the trioles, specially in the longer runs is hard to combine with the left hand arpeggios.

I think I'll need a few months more in order to play it more decently. Well I guess I can be proud of myself. After all, 14 months ago I did not even know how to play the C-scale. smile

I'm done. I can play the piece now. It took me a bit more than three months to get it to a satisfying level. The only part is the 35-note run in the ending, that i will practise more. Unbeliavable feeling... I never thought this would be possible, I was struggling at times, but yesterday I played the whole Nocturne fluently. smile

I guess it's time to start looking for a new piece to learn... any suggestions?

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Congratulations, Curious223!
I don't think you're a 'slow learner' at all! Isn't it a great feeling when it finally all comes together? Of course it's possible.
As for new pieces- hard to make concrete suggestions- I would suggest you first listen to as much music as possible, then decide what grabs you (and what sounds feasible).
In the 'easier Chopin' category, if that's what you were thinking of, there's the posthumous waltz in A minor and Nocturne op. 72, plus a few of the preludes..

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Congrats to you, also, Curious223:

It took me much longer to learn that nocturne, but then I wasn't as consistent as you when it came to practicing everyday. I'm still working on that run and will probably be for a few more weeks (I hope).

Listen to some of the mazurkas. There are many at the 6 level and they are really quite lovely, rich in melody. Although it is listed as a 7, I love the Op. 17, #4 mazurka. It is a favorite of many for good reason. And if you have conquered the nocturne, it shouldn't be too difficult for you. The mid-section (the dance-like part) can prove to be challenging and a good exercise in stretching your fingers.

Here is Horowitz's version. Not quite the way I play it (ha). I take it a bit slower to bring out the nuances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmLvpJySb50&feature=related

Kathleen

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Off topic:

We had an earthquake shocked in our area very early this morning. A 4.3 on the scale and the center was about 30 miles away from our home (northern central Illinois). I woke at 4 this morning but didn't know why. People were reporting shaking beds, pictures falling from the walls and dishes crashing to the floor. No injuries or major damage. So lucky. My heart and prayers continue for the people of Haiti.

Kathleen

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Congrats Curious223! Doesn't it feel great to have that accomplishment under your belt? I second Kathleen's suggestion of the Mazurkas (if you were looking for another Chopin piece). There are many to choose from (about 58? I think) and they're delightful in character. You can really have fun with dynamics and the dance lilt. Listen to some on youtube, and peruse the scores on IMSLP to find something that appeals to you.

Kathleen, what a shock to hear about an earthquake in Illinois. Thank goodness it didn't cause any injuries or major damage, but what a scare! As for us in the Northeast, we're dealing with our third major storm in one week - snow, sleet, winter mess. Schools are closed, we're unable to leave the house. It sounds like a good day to do some recording! grin

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Hi Heidiv:

I commiserate with you all in the Northeast, and I should have mentioned all the troubles you are having there. A real nightmare. So many people without power, no heat and/or no electricity. Even the national goverment appears to be closed. This has to be a first, I believe. And some people are going through this for days. We are also having lots and lots of snow, but we are more used to it, I think, than people in the Northeast. I know the kids are happy, but their parents are probably not so. This also with the west Coast and their mud slides. It would appear that Mother Nature is showing us just how powerful the "weaker sex" is, lest we forget. No danger of that.

Kathleen

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A 4.3 is significant, especially if you're nearby. I'm glad you're ok, Kathleen.

Clef

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Fortunately we have power, heat, and electricity. Being housebound for a couple of days is a minor inconvenience compared to earthquakes, mudslides, and loss of power. In a way, it's actually a blessing to have this downtime, a forced respite from the demands of everyday life. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and when Mother Nature gives you sleet, practice! wink

Page 301 of 425 1 2 299 300 301 302 303 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission