2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,131 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
R
Originally Posted by D4v3
BLASPHEMY!!! How dare you sully Chopin!!! J/K you can say what ever you want, just not about Chopin.

Well, speaking of Chopin... What was he thinking when he wrote the Nocturne in C#-minor, op.27 no1? This is the story I hear:

Larghetto - a calm night, I am falling asleep at home, dreaming somewhat weird, but rather beautiful and calm dreams.
Piu mosso - the wind starts to build up outside my window, my sleep becomes more restless. In my dreams I am confronted by a dragon.
Appassionato - I slay the dragon.
Agitato - The wind outside my window builds up to a storm. My sleep becomes very restless. The dragon I just slayed is brought back to life and keeps growing bigger and bigger every second.
con anima - stretto - I am woke up by a gang of drunk frat boys passing outside my window, singing (or rather screaming) a catchy drinking song.
fff (16 bars later) - I scream at the frat boys to get lost so that I can get some sleep.
Tempo 1 - I go back to sleep.

Now this is otherwise fine and I kind of like most of the piece, but I could really do without the drunk frat boys. How on earth did they get into that piece???

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Ok I probably haven't listened to Prokofiev's non-piano works (and I rarely listen to non-piano works by other composers), but all the numerous piano works, whether it be the concertos, preludes or sonatas - all of them just sound too abstract for my liking.

I just have this profound distaste for Prokofiev. I remember trying to listen to Prokofiev's works after listening to countless works by Rachmaninoff (and hoping to hear similar styles since they are from the same era), but to me, Prokofiev's music is just garbled notes. Many dissonant sounds with no purpose. Very few melodic lines that I enjoy. Just utter...'garbage'. It's something which I personally don't consider music, almost like how I don't consider Karl Stockhausen's experiments with synthesizers to be 'music', just random notes with atrocious harmonies.

If you are perturbed with my views on Prokofiev, don't get me started on Bach =p

I'm the anti-Glenn Gould. Gould loved Bach but hated Chopin. I'm the opposite =p

"... It is a skill you go on learning all your life: the more you write, the more you learn."

Harry Freedman on the craft of composing
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores
What about the Barenboim don't you like? Just curious.
It's hard to pin down. Some are lackluster. There are some mistakes. Some are excellent.
Originally Posted by John_B
I have enormous respect for Barenboim but I often feel slightly unsatisfied by his Beethoven sonatas. This is probably more to do with me rather than Barenboim.
I have to assume that is true of me too just as I assume my ignorance of the Beethoven sonatas is coloring my judgment. I hope I will connect with them better once I've listened to them more.

I understand Perahia is working on recording the complete Beethoven sonatas. He's one of my favorite living pianists so I'd love to hear this.

Originally Posted by Googlism
Anything by Prokofiev
Googlism, everyone has different taste and what we like and dislike can change. In general, I don't enjoy most contemporary composers but for some reason I'm crazy about Prokofiev. I happen to worship Bach.

Best regards,

Deborah
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

I just have this profound distaste for Prokofiev. I remember trying to listen to Prokofiev's works after listening to countless works by Rachmaninoff (and hoping to hear similar styles since they are from the same era), but to me, Prokofiev's music is just garbled notes. Many dissonant sounds with no purpose. Very few melodic lines that I enjoy. Just utter...'garbage'. It's something which I personally don't consider music, almost like how I don't consider Karl Stockhausen's experiments with synthesizers to be 'music', just random notes with atrocious harmonies.

I have no problem with you disliking Prokofiev and modern composers, and you are entitled to your own opinion, but this is just complete ignorance.

Currently working on
Prokofiev Piano Concerto 3
Beethoven Sonata Op.109
Chopin Op.10 No.1
Bach WTC II no. 15

--Sam--
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Prokofiev is okay, but I only actually LIKE a few of his works.
Ravel is my favorite composer, and I like every one of his works.

Hmm... The Liszt Grande Galop Chromatique (spelling?) comes to mind, but as a technical study it is quite good. And I've gained some appreciation for the solo piano Totentanz.

Overall, I guess am not very critical about music at all.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
What never fails to amaze me is how someone can say they hate composer X on the basis of knowing a fairly small part of the whole range of the composer's music.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John_B
What never fails to amaze me is how someone can say they hate composer X on the basis of knowing a fairly small part of the whole range of the composer's music.

... and the other side of the coin : "Oh, I just love Liszt! I've heard his Liebesträume No. 3."

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD

... and the other side of the coin : "Oh, I just love Liszt! I've heard his Liebesträume No. 3."

Regards,

Luckily for those who say that, Liszt was not a one-hit wonder. wink

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
@xtraheat
I stated my opinions as to why I dislike Prokofiev's works, which I think is a legit reason. Each composer has their own style of composing, and each audience has their preference. Glenn Gould loved Bach, Beethoven and Brahms, but did not enjoy Chopin, Schumann or Mozart. Heck, he even said "Mozart was a bad composer who died late rather than early". Mozart's style (consistent with his era) is easy to distinguish and I can understand why he would not like it. Do I disagree with Gould's assessment of the romantic era composers as well? Of course! Do I think that his reasoning is ignorant? No, it's logical and it was his opinion.

@JohnB
It would be difficult for the audience to attempt to listen to each work by a composer and then make judgments on them only after listening to them all. But as you mentioned, it is unfair to judge a composer by a select few works. That being said, I've been exposed and forced to listen to many Prokofiev pieces, and none of them made me want to listen to them again. It's not the performance that is at fault, it's just the rampant dissonant themes and mass unpredictability in his music which do not enlighten me.

"... It is a skill you go on learning all your life: the more you write, the more you learn."

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Have you ever heard Prok's 3rd Piano Concerto?

Currently working on
Prokofiev Piano Concerto 3
Beethoven Sonata Op.109
Chopin Op.10 No.1
Bach WTC II no. 15

--Sam--
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I think a good place to try Prokofiev is his Symphony #1, the Classical Symphony. It has many melodic lines and a lot of humor too.

Best regards,

Deborah
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
@extraheat
I have heard Prokofiev's 3rd, though only the 1st and 3rd. 1st is blah and the 3rd pretty much sums up what I expect Prokofiev to be all about - full of dissonant music. I can only imagine what the 2nd movement must be like.

@gooddog
Thats the kind of music I enjoy - melodies that are clear, dissonant harmonies to a minimum

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Prokofiev is okay (I don't dislike him at all! Great composer, it's just personal taste, and I do kind of like him) but I actually REALLY REALLY like Shostakovich! (Shostokovich?)

The two piano concerti are SO cool, and the chamber music is really cool too! One of his quartets (I think) sounds like heavy metal or something, it's so awesome!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm glad to hear that someone else has a problem with Beethoven 49 #2. I always thought I had some sort of genetic deficiency, at least now I have company wink I was tortured with it as a kid which didn't help.

I have never laughed so much at a PW post as I did reading this old one from Garbage thread. Thank you Janus; wicked humour. wink

Originally Posted by Janus K.Sachs
Bach's Well Tempered Whatever: boring contrapuntal exercises. Except the Ave Maria prelude -- so pretty!

Handel's Messiah: any educated soul knows it's nothing compared to Israel in Egypt!

Beethoven's Appassionata: someone got out of the wrong side of the bed! Need a beer?

Beethoven's Ninth, all the late quartets and late piano sonatas: pretentious nonsense.

Schubert's Winterreise: can't handle a breakup, eh?

Schubert's Lieder: they lied to me!

Chopin's First Ballade: pianistic noise.

Schumann's Piano Concerto: sissy music.

Mendelssohn's Italian Symphony: where is the pasta, the gondolas, the bad tenor singing?!?

Dvorak's Ninth Symphony: coz the last movement copies the Jaws theme, man!

Liszt's Sonata in B minor: silly piano bashing.

Brahms's chamber music: better than the lulluby for going to sleep.

Wagner's Ring Cycle: better than Brahms's chamber music for going to sleep.

Tchaikovsky's Fourth, Fifth, and Sixth Symphonies: closet too tight for you?

Mahler's Symphonies: John Williams does it better.

Rachmaninov's Concertos 2-3 and Pag. Rhapsody: if you needed therapy to compose such filth, I don't want to know what pre-therapy music sounds like!

All operas: coz classical vocals suck! Except Puccini's Nessum Dorma, coz long high notes are kewl during a football (i.e. soccer) game!

Scriabin's Op. 8 #12 Etude: childish temper tantrum.

Everything by Richard Strauss -- except "Sunrise" from Also Sprach Zarathustra. Duh!

Everything by Haydn and Mozart: too many notes, laughs, and not profound enough. Except the works in minor keys.

All ancient, medieval, and renaissance music: coz there's, like, no emotion whatsoever, man.

All modern music: too dissonant -- I luv triads! Oh, except Barber's Adagio for Strings -- that song is nice.

Yep that made my day.

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I read that thread, and that gave me a good laugh too. smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
@xtraheat
I stated my opinions as to why I dislike Prokofiev's works, which I think is a legit reason. Each composer has their own style of composing, and each audience has their preference. Glenn Gould loved Bach, Beethoven and Brahms, but did not enjoy Chopin, Schumann or Mozart. Heck, he even said "Mozart was a bad composer who died late rather than early". Mozart's style (consistent with his era) is easy to distinguish and I can understand why he would not like it. Do I disagree with Gould's assessment of the romantic era composers as well? Of course! Do I think that his reasoning is ignorant? No, it's logical and it was his opinion.

@JohnB
It would be difficult for the audience to attempt to listen to each work by a composer and then make judgments on them only after listening to them all. But as you mentioned, it is unfair to judge a composer by a select few works. That being said, I've been exposed and forced to listen to many Prokofiev pieces, and none of them made me want to listen to them again. It's not the performance that is at fault, it's just the rampant dissonant themes and mass unpredictability in his music which do not enlighten me.

Just so ya know...Gould did not love Beethoven and considered most of his works to be "empty, banal, hedonistic, superficial and belligerent". About the Emperor concerto (which, oddly enough, he recorded and performed many times) he said, "it is a harmonically simple-minded work and an impossible mixture of naivete and professionalism ... nowhere this side of Grand Old Opry can one encounter more unadorned II-V-I progressions." He called the Hammerklavier (once again, a work he recorded), "mathematical tomfoolery"(the fugue), and of the entire sonata, "the most inconsiderate, least rewarding piece Beethoven wrote for the piano."

Don't get me started on Gould. I am thankful to him for pushing Bach back under the mainstream spotlight where he belongs, but that's about it. The man was, certainly, endowed with many gifts. Had he not been quite so interested in promoting himself and placing his views ahead of the music itself, he might have been able to teach future generations a great deal.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by xtraheat
Have you ever heard Prok's 3rd Piano Concerto?

Second Concerto! Second Concerto! Second Concerto! =)

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
That post from Janus, above, DOES belong in the garbage.

♪ ≠ $

F
F
Rachmaninov's Concertos 2-3 and Pag. Rhapsody: if you needed therapy to compose such filth, I don't want to know what pre-therapy music sounds like!

Well, that's why he had therapy, you see...

Everything by Haydn and Mozart: too many notes, laughs, and not profound enough. Except the works in minor keys.

LOL! +1, definitely! :P

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G

That surprised me regarding Beethoven!

We all know Gould to have been quite an eccentric and peculiar pianist and person. I wouldn't doubt if there was a suggestion that he was in some part, insane, which would have created some unique and controversial views of music. He also hummed and chanted a lot while playing...

Compare
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB76jxBq_gQ&feature=related
@ 1:58

with Lang Lang...and we know how crazy Lang Lang is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b85hn8rJvgw

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission