2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Aylin, Barly, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,352 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 300 of 425 1 2 298 299 300 301 302 424 425
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
WOW, Dr. Kalberg: laugh

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us such a very valuable lesson on the paper used during Chopin's time. It is quite fascinating, and something I have never, ever given any thought to at all. But you've made it so very easy to understand that even I had no trouble following you.

You know it's funny, but I have always thought that the C# nocturne was composed during Chopin's later years and not because it "is a flaccid affair" (Bailie) Or because it appears that "he was too weak to rally his inventive spirit." (Bailie) This is the first nocturne I learned to play, and I love it. I don't hear the weariness that so many of the experts do. I hear Chopin's reaching out, back to his past and to his homeland and his family and friends. I hear the melancholy and "zal to which he was so prone . The same holds true for Fm mazurka. So simple yet so lovely and expressive.

While it may be very true that Chopin was too weak to create more complex and vigorous pieces, I don't believe that these two compositions are to be dismissed or disregarded as the "real" Chopin. In fact, I almost believe that they represent the true Chopin more than many other of his well-known works. One has to know, really know, the story of Chopin's life. And then, maybe, my impressions would make some sense.

Thank you, once again, dear Doctor: Now go out and build a huge snowman. yippie

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
(Did you mean C minor rather than C# minor or did you really mean to refer to the different nocturne?)

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
(Did you mean C minor rather than C# minor or did you really mean to refer to the different nocturne?)

You're referring to Kathleen, yes? I was wondering myself, since Jeff, is referring to the c minor. It does make a difference, since you said the c sharp was the first one you learned, Kathleen, and that you feel it was composed later in life. Just curious.

Last edited by stores; 02/06/10 06:47 PM.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

(Yes, I meant Kathleen......Each post shows which post we're replying to. I know that not everyone observes that when they do a post, but I do.)

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
For Pete's sake, I don't know what I did that my reply to Mark didn't go through. If my fingers hit the wrong keys, everything disappears.

Yes, I was referring to the Cm. I am STILL trying to conquer the C#m because of that 35 note run and won't feel that I can really play it until I do. My "sometimes" teacher said that I should either shorten it or add some rubato to slow it down a bit. But I just can't do it. Maybe after two years of trying, I just might take her advice.

Kathleen

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by loveschopintoomuch
.....the C#m because of that 35 note run and won't feel that I can really play it until I do. My "sometimes" teacher said that I should either shorten it or add some rubato to slow it down a bit.

Don't shorten it. Just slow down the left hand. And to make it a bit less obvious that you slow down, start slowing down a tiny bit a measure before the run.

I am listening to a CD I bought in Warsaw. Dang Thai Son plays 2 Chopin concertos on a 1849 piano with Orchestra of the 18th Century (the name of the orchestra) conducted by Frans Bruggen. The sound of the piano is not big like that of concert grand pianos today, the sustain is not very long, and the bass is not thunderous. But this is so nice to start my day.

L.A.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by LisztAddict
.....the C#m because of that 35 note run and won't feel that I can really play it until I do. My "sometimes" teacher said that I should either shorten it or add some rubato to slow it down a bit.

Don't shorten it. Just slow down the left hand. And to make it a bit less obvious that you slow down, start slowing down a tiny bit a measure before the run.

L.A.

I've the same issue. And I'm too stubborn to slow it down. I think though that it will eventually be manageable. Hopefully this year. Ever the optimist :>)

Slow it down. It's fine. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A number of people have brought this quote, which was posted in another corner of PW, to my attention. I wasn't going to bring it up or reply to it. However, as of today, I have a reason to do so. So here it is:

"There really are some very knowledgeable members over in the Chopin, thread, but, expect to be rebuked, if your thoughts on Chopin, differ at all, or you offer any evidence opposing that which has been stated as fact (don't dare to say that Chopin, was anything less than the most upstanding character, who, at all times, was the epitome of elegance)."

I honestly think that anyone who has been around here for a long time would know that this is not true. I myself have posted some comments about Our Guy in the past which were less than flattering. At this point, frankly, I feel a little leery of posting anything at all.

And that's all I'm going to say about that.

Jeff, I'd never heard of rastrology. That is fascinating.

LA, I'd love to hear that album. Is the sound of the piano much like the 1851 Erard on Emanuel Ax's recordings? (Interesting that both the Orchestra of the 18th Century and the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment are doing these CDs, not some outfit named for the 19th century.) Have you heard the 1830's Pleyel that's been around on some other recordings, which strangely enough seems less "plinky" than the later instruments?

Elene

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...expect to be rebuked, if your thoughts on Chopin, differ at all..."

Someone is trying to drum up some business for the Chopin thread... though they may intend otherwise. I've seen tactics like this backfire badly for the perpetrator. People rush over to see the 'bad news' for themselves, then find out (if they don't already know) the real story.

Maybe it's better to let posters like this dig their grave with their own tongue. You can get down to six feet pretty fast, even if it is only a spoonful at a time.

Clef

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
smile

I saw that quote in the other thread, and thought the same as Jeff Clef and Elene, and more. PW's a small world, n'est-ce pas?

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That was kind of my point-- that this is a small world and we DO read other threads! Let's keep trying to treat each other with respect and gentleness. Uh, we can TRY, anyway.

Elene

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Elene

LA, I'd love to hear that album. Is the sound of the piano much like the 1851 Erard on Emanuel Ax's recordings? (Interesting that both the Orchestra of the 18th Century and the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment are doing these CDs, not some outfit named for the 19th century.) Have you heard the 1830's Pleyel that's been around on some other recordings, which strangely enough seems less "plinky" than the later instruments?

Elene

I haven't heard Ax's recording and not the 1830 Pleyel either. This 1849 is a tiny bit plinky. It probably has all new hammers, and I think they are Abel. The sound is not big but quite clean and sweet.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I thought there might be a link to CDs using the 1831 Pleyel at the Pleyel museum site

http://www.pleyel.at/pleyel/seite6.php?spr=en

but there aren't. I'd have to try to track the recordings down elsewhere. I only heard it in the movie La Note Bleue (which I saw because Frycek was kind enough to lend it to me).

I highly recommend Ax's recordings of the two Chopin concerti with the OAE on the Erard. I like the way the orchestra is handled very much.

Elene

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thank you Elene. I will definitely look for Ax's recording.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I was hoping to find clips of Dang Thai Son playing that 1849 Erard, but while there are other clips of him around, there aren't any with that piano. Perhaps I'll have to buy a copy in Warsaw too.

LA, would you be able to explain how to pronounce his name properly? I live in a partly Vietnamese area (with some good restaurants!), but haven't been able to learn much pronunciation so far.

Elene

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I just heard Ax last night. Half Chopin, half Schumann.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Thank you, LA, for you advice on breaking down that run. After just a few minutes at the piano, using this method, I can already see some improvement. BTW, I wanted to congratulate you on your beautiful performance of the Nocturne Opus. 9, #1. You have such a feel for Chopin's music and express it so exquisitely. We've never asked you this (I think), but when did you start playing the piano? What age? A teacher? How many hours a day do you practice? Again, we are grateful that you share your wonderful achievements with us.

Now, for another post from another thread. Did Chopin really hate his Fantasie Impromptu? I read that he was not that fond of it, but I never read that he regretted writing it.

Hi Cardguy and Teador: Forgive me if you have posted here before. But a welcome is still in order, so laugh WELCOME!

Moer snow on the horizon for many of us. Keep warm and drive carefully.

Kathleen

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
We may have a little dusting of snow on our higher hilltops tomorrow, but on the whole, California is behaving as if there were no February. My sweetpeas have just sprouted, the freesias are in bud, I was able to walk the dogs yesterday afternoon wearing a t-shirt.

I've been reading Chopin in Paris this weekend, while listening to Rubenstein's Chopin Collection cover-to-cover. The Chopin thread has provided such a valuable perspective, quite apart from the pleasure of meeting the members, whom I would have no way of knowing otherwise.

Clef

C
C

Now, for another post from another thread. Did Chopin really hate his Fantasie Impromptu? I read that he was not that fond of it, but I never read that he regretted writing it.

Bailie writes, "It is not known why Chopin did not publish it during his lifetime. Since it is treated dismissively by most commentators on numerous counts (weak construction, repetitiveness, effeteness and lack of direction in the middle section, general frivolity, and so on) it has been widely assumed that Chopin suppressed it because he also thought poorly of it. Arthur Hedley on the other hand, suggests that Chopin was embarrassed by its resemblance to a recently published Impromptu by Moscheles (pp. 155-6)"

This, of course, does not say whether Chopin disliked it to the extent of regretting writing it. It sounds wonderful to my ears, and surely this is the most important factor? I couldn't find a recording of the Moscheles Impromptu, but I found the score here. I suppose that the third line looks a little like the opening part of fantaisie impromptu, but I have no doubt that Chopin's impromptu is far better than Moscheles.

"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frédéric Chopin

"Hats off gentlemen, a genius!" - Schumann on Chopin

"Chopin is the greatest of them all, for through the piano alone he discovered everything" - Debussy on Chopin

Venables & Son 152
Page 300 of 425 1 2 298 299 300 301 302 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission