2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
70 members (blueviewlaguna., Bruce In Philly, achoo42, Beowulf, Boboulus, beeboss, 18 invisible), 540 guests, and 346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 33 of 50 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 49 50
Re: New stage pianos from Yamaha!
Moose #1364722 02/03/10 12:14 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Moose,

The CFIII in stereo is astonishing...your playing is very nice as well, and does a great job of showcasing these sounds.

The soft hammered CFIII would be so sweet for jazz.

The sustain is better than most acoustic grands, and far, far better than uprights like the U3.

Methinks the other manufactures and owners of said products, will be very disappointed in the sound. wink

On the other hand, we Yamaha people are very impressed with these instruments.

Thank you for your uploads and for sharing your precious time making these demos.

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
snazzyplayer #1364729 02/03/10 12:26 PM
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
CFIII....I am in love. I'm not by instinct a fan of the Yamaha sound but it blows me away on this new piano. I've heard enough. The CP1 is a cracker!

Steve

C. Bechstein Model B | Roland RD-1000 |
madshi #1364752 02/03/10 12:53 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by madshi
The 2-band and 3-band variants are referencing the modeled preamp that is in the CP1. The CP5/CP50 do not have the preamp so the CFIIIS and S6 are the same source instrument minus the preamp. And yes the CP50 CFIIIS is identical to the CP1 minus the modeled preamp.

I think dewster should be happy to hear that... smile

My strong supposition from the start. Nice to hear that Yamaha is probably not playing games with the sample sizes of identically named voices across these three DPs.

Dr Popper #1364942 02/03/10 04:40 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by Dr Popper
Originally Posted by pianodilemma

Let me clarify one thing: does it feel graded, or doesn't it?

Yeah it does , I couldn't believe it wasn't graded after I played it.

Is the physical force required the same or different across the keys? No opinions, just facts.

RD-700GX + SN Piano Expansion
If you're playing and you know it, wash your hands! If you're playing and you know it, no sanitizer!
If you're playing and you know it, and don't want your keys to show it,
If you're playing and you know it, clip your nails!
pianodilemma #1364944 02/03/10 04:42 PM
M
M

Let me clarify one thing: does it feel graded, or doesn't it?

Yeah it does , I couldn't believe it wasn't graded after I played it.

Is the physical force required the same or different across the keys? No opinions, just facts.

Not until you say the magic word, my friend...

Employed by Yamaha Europe. Same deal, all my posts are personal opinions, not company opinions!
Moose #1364954 02/03/10 04:57 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by Moose
So, I uploaded some sound clips to my iDisk. Take a look there, you'll find Claire de Lune on CF and S6.
Only mistake I made, I recorded the CF clip in mono (sorry), but you'll get a good impression anyways.
Also a soundclip of DX, Case 73 and Wurly. Don't pay too close attention to my playing, it's the sound that matters :-)

http://public.me.com/pedro.gordts

Requests I'll try to handle but haven't got much time lately.

The DX sounded fantastic, which was to be expected if they're emulating FM synthesis. Very well done, as was the Wurli and the '73. Lots of depth, didn't hear any looping. For sure I'm happier with these.

As for the pianos, it's a mixed bag. I actually was a bigger fan of the S6 than the CFIII. I thought the CFIII was a touch too bright up top for my tastes. I think some slight EQing could take care of my concerns, but I was more partial overall to the S6. Again, no looping, and much better than anything I've heard before.

Overall, fantastic sound and zero real complaints in that department. I would've liked to have seen at least a U5, though I guess there's always Ivory if I'm really going for that sound.

RD-700GX + SN Piano Expansion
If you're playing and you know it, wash your hands! If you're playing and you know it, no sanitizer!
If you're playing and you know it, and don't want your keys to show it,
If you're playing and you know it, clip your nails!
pianodilemma #1365006 02/03/10 06:08 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
This is driving me crazy waiting for mine to arrive.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
Dr Popper #1365008 02/03/10 06:10 PM
M
M
This is driving me crazy waiting for mine to arrive.

I'm so sorry...

Employed by Yamaha Europe. Same deal, all my posts are personal opinions, not company opinions!
Moose #1365050 02/03/10 07:19 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Moose, Thank you for all the valuable information. Have you got any idea when the CP5 and CP50 are going on the market in the US?

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas
daviel #1365057 02/03/10 07:37 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I'm excited even by the less woody CFIII!

daviel #1365060 02/03/10 07:39 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I'm excited even by the less woody CFIII!

Melodialworks Music #1365063 02/03/10 07:41 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Moose -

Are your demos of the AP's recorded with the default effects, or did you do external processing?

Thanks,

Lawrence

PS - Yamaha should use your demos at yamahasynth.com!

Moose #1365090 02/03/10 08:41 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hello Moose,

Truly amazing sound clips!

I really appreciate the effort you went through to play and post them! Both you and the CP1 sound fantastic!

Requests I'll try to handle but haven't got much time lately.

Well, now that you mention it... smile

I've been busy for the past couple of days, working on something like the MIDI file they use over at Purgatory Creek for the Digital Piano Shootout only much more laser-like in its diagnostic abilities.

I've honed it as best I can, and it's pretty good at revealing looping, stretching, layer switching, sympathetic resonance, and half-pedaling in whatever it's played on. I call it:

THE DIGITAL PIANO BS DETECTOR

or the dp_bsd for short. It can be found here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=7ef2fd9c0f59e62824a64199ac7f73e562543888620acf74e91dc00c2f906379

Along with the MIDI file (currently dp_bsd_v1.3.mid) you can find a readme file that explains what it does and how to use it. I also put several MP3 sound clips there - test output from Pianoteq, Windows Media Player, VintAudio C7, and TruePianos Diamond. I intend to do my P120 as soon as I can get it near my computer.

Anyone else that wants to upload an MP3 to that directory from the MIDI file played on their DP (a P155 would be nice, as would one of the newer Casios) please feel free, but please peruse the readme file first for directions. I can then help you interpret the results. I'll probably start another thread for that. But I digress...

So, if you could run that MIDI file through your shiny new CP1, capture the sound, and post an MP3, either back in that directory at mediafire, or in your share point, I would be terribly, terribly appreciative.

Please?

Melodialworks Music #1365091 02/03/10 08:44 PM
F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by snazzyplayer
The CFIII in stereo is astonishing...your playing is very nice as well, and does a great job of showcasing these sounds. The soft hammered CFIII would be so sweet for jazz.

Methinks the other manufactures and owners of said products, will be very disappointed in the sound. On the other hand, we Yamaha people are very impressed with these instruments.

I thought the CFIII was a touch too bright up top for my tastes.

One of the things which makes pianos so fascinating is how different people are affected differently by the same tonal palette. The CFIII-Soft was the first Yamaha I've heard which sounded as if it might be enjoyable to play for long periods.

The brightness of the default AP sounds of the two Yamaha P-series DP's that I own/have owned was what pushed me toward software pianos. Currently my daily player has become Galaxy II's Bosendorfer. Took a while to get used to it, but I don't want to play anything else. All that said, the quality of the CP1's AP sounds as downloaded is outstanding.

Moose, thanks for the uploads. Your improvising would be easy to listen to for hours.

Melodialworks Music #1365346 02/04/10 04:07 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by Melodialworks Music
Moose -

Are your demos of the AP's recorded with the default effects, or did you do external processing?

Thanks,

Lawrence

PS - Yamaha should use your demos at yamahasynth.com!

Just default effects, no extra processing!

@Dewster: I'll try to run it thru this afternoon but can't promise anything, lots of work to do

Moose #1365864 02/04/10 09:46 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
@Dewster: I'll try to run it thru this afternoon but can't promise anything, lots of work to do

Thanks! Not trying to push you into something you are too busy to accommodate.

I ran the DP BSD MIDI file over my P120 today and it took forever! Had to drag the P120 downstairs, install my MIA card & drivers, figure out L&R (the worst part believe it or not), record it, re-record it in stereo (MIA and Audition are complex), analyze it, etc.

But I do hope someone will do it very soon - I have bated breath and everything...

dewster #1367274 02/06/10 04:50 PM
P
P
Daviel: i dont know the release dates for allt the world, but from Yamaha Scandinavia they told me the new CP line should be available from May this year.
I could't wait myself until then, so i bought a CP33 which im wery happy with so far. =)
The old CP line has dropped in price, i got mine CP33 for 1080 EUR.

Plays on a Yamaha CP33.
PhilipK #1367334 02/06/10 06:23 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The USA sites like Sweetwater are listing May, too. I am sure that's it. I don't need to be spending any money right now anyway, and I am happy with MY CP33, too. You made a very wise buy - enjoy it!

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas
Rille Stark #1367625 02/07/10 02:17 AM
Z
Z
I guess I’m a shallow person but I’d like to know how the synthetic ivory keys felt compared to a Roland RD-700GX keyboard or something similar? I picked the Roland since I got a chance to demo it in a Guitar Center the other day and really liked the feel of it both in action and how my fingers liked the ivory-like keys. I’ve read all the glowing reports of the action on the CP-1/CP-5 but not much on the keys themselves. I had been recounting my demos of the Roland along with a Korg SV-1 and a RD-300GX and a CP-300 to some friends and one of them remarked how often I had commented on the 700GX’s keys. That got me re-evaluating my conclusions from the demos where I had honed in on the SV1-73 as the front runner for purchase since I dug its smaller size and weight compared to the 700GX and the CP-300. With out getting too off topic in a thread about the new CP’s I now feel I could handle the larger keyboard if the features and price met my needs and since I was considering the 700GX of course the CP-5 is of similar size/weight/price hence my desire to see what the lucky people who got to try the CP1 and CP5 thought of the ivory like keys. I don’t have a good description of why the 700GX keys were better but they had a nice texture to them while all the other ones I tried had a slicker plasticiky surface. Oh and I liked the acoustic piano sounds on both the Korg and Roland so it isn’t all about the key feel but I’d say I liked the action of the Roland keyboard above that of the Korg which seemed to have a bit too much rebound for me.

M. Doege #1369573 02/09/10 04:20 PM
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Guys,

MusikSchmidt in Frankfurt have updated their CP1 demo a few hours ago...now features a much better player...doesn't move us on too much but it's nice to hear more of the CP1 (too much talking, not enough playing though, unless you can understand German in which case it is probably very useful!).

http://www.youtube.com/user/MusikSchmidt#p/u/0/EV-CT-SJP8Q

Cheers,

Steve

C. Bechstein Model B | Roland RD-1000 |
Page 33 of 50 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 49 50

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New CSP 170 USer! Acquiring Music & Drills?
by Clavinova170 - 07/02/20 03:02 PM
Why is a 61 note keyboard C to C?
by Ian J - 07/02/20 03:00 PM
Recommendations for a digital piano
by Pianoplayer7008 - 07/02/20 02:21 PM
Recording myself playing
by Ehudhoc - 07/02/20 01:28 PM
Music School Graduates
by samwitdangol - 07/02/20 12:45 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,983
Posts2,975,971
Members97,627
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission