2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
The NAMM Foundation is looking for the best communities for music education.

[Linked Image]

Are you living in one of the Best Communities for Music Education?

The NAMM Foundation is once again conducting a nationwide search to identify the Best Communities for Music Education, recognizing cities that exemplify a commitment to music education for all children.

As a music advocate, you’re encouraged to apply on behalf of your school district; the 2010 community survey is available through March 12, 2010. The survey will again be conducted in collaboration with The Institute for Educational Research and Public Service of Lawrence, Kansas, an affiliate of the University of Kansas. Only one submission per district or school; complete directions are provided with the survey.

This annual program recognizes and celebrates support and commitment to music education programs for all children by communities and their school administrators, teachers, board members, parents, community leaders and students. To submit your school or district, please visit www.nammfoundation.org. You may wish to also forward this message to a school administrator or other local educators who have the necessary data close at hand.

Visit the NAMM Foundation to learn more about the 2010 Best Communities for Music Education.

“This distinction led to increased funding for our music program and built greater recognition of the program within the community.”—Music Educator, Best Communities for Music Education School District

Last edited by Piano World; 02/04/10 03:38 PM. Reason: added survey url

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Anywhere, or just the United States?

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
It appears to be just the U.S. this time keystring (says Nationwide).

I'll double check with the Foundation, but that's my guess.
Perhaps I should add U.S. to the subject line?

Best,

Frank B.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
This is a greatly flawed survey. It applies only to public schools, omitting private schools, home schools, community wide programs, etc. It doesn't take into account in any meaningful or significant manner, community youth orchestras, bands, choirs, etc. It doesn't take into account church or religious choirs or musical groups. It doesn't take into account musical theater groups.

Of particular interest to the piano community, there is no survey of piano dealers, print music dealers, number of private instrumental or voice teachers, no comprehensive survey of major non-school musical organizations such as MTNA, Piano Guild, Music Clubs, etc.

The NAMM foundation BOD seems to be wearing blinders.

Putting my [Linked Image] away now.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I think the MENC State and Local Festivals statistics are very relevant because they count the number of kids participating from the local school districts and the grading would show the quality of the teaching.

I noticed in the 2009 study, 2 districts in Washington State were winners. I can think of several Washington State school districts and communities that are much superior musically to the 2 that were mentioned.

It bothers me just a little bit that a school district has to be nominated - but NAMM accepts only one nomination per school district. Isn't this selective in-breeding more than it is a really adjudicated and democratic effort to find superior work being done in music education around the United States.

You have to enter to win.

As John says so many things are being omitted that constitutes good music in a community.

Betty Patnude

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission