2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 11 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
Although I am new to the piano forum I have been reading some of your posts as I've searched for my dream piano and have seen that there is plenty of wisdom here and for that reason I would like to seek your advice. It has been some two months or so since I started looking for my dream piano. Originally I fell in love with the sound and touch of Boston GP-156 which got sold before I was able to come up with the money and lately I have came across Kawai GE-30 5'5 and Boston GP-178 5'10. Kawai is 2003 and can be purchased for low 8k where Boston is 1997 and can be purchased for $1000 more. Originally I stayed away from the Boston GP-178 because I just dared not spend that kind of money but soon realized that the only way I'll be happy with the instrument is if I buy a great quality instrument. I've played them both and loved them both still I'd like to know what would some you do in my place. I guess in this type of economy I'd also like to ask which of these two would hold their value best some 5-10 years from now in case I need to sell it down the road so to make my house payments. Thanks a lot. Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Bruno

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think the Boston is more piano for you money and will be more satisfying in the long run.
You need to play on it everyday so only your fingers and ears are the best judge...

Pianos are expensive, great pianos even more. If you buy the right one it will last you a long time. Otherwise you might change and that can in the end cost the most money!

Good luck

Schimmel Konzert 189 Tradition
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I like the GE-30, it's a fine piano and $8,000 for a 5-6 year old one is a pretty good price. However, the Boston is 5 inches longer. I've always found the sonic difference between a 5'5" instrument and a 5' 10" instrument much greater than the difference between 5'10" and 6'+.

To really know whether that's the case with these instruments play and listen carefully to the bass, especially the low bass. Which sounds tubby? Can either produce real oomph in that range. I suspect the Boston will outperform the Kawai in this. The age difference between the two isn't that great, the Boston has many of decades of life still in it. If the Boston sounds better buy it. If you can't hear a difference between the two buy the less expensive piano.

Last edited by Steve Chandler; 02/03/10 10:14 AM.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
D
D
That is a great price for a 5'10 Boston and well worth the 1k difference from the GE-30 (assuming both pianos are in fair condition). IMO this is a no brainer.

The Boston will certainly wear and last longer.. of course this is what one would expect as its nearly twice the cost as the GE-30 new.

Last edited by Diaphragmatic; 02/03/10 12:57 PM.

Musically Yours,
Jonathan Hunt

Sales Professional:
Steinway, Boston, Essex, Kohler & Campbell

The Music Gallery
Clearwater, Fl.
Originally Posted by Diaphragmatic
The Boston will certainly wear and last longer.. of course this is what one would expect as its nearly twice the cost as the GE-30 new.

You can take this one to the bank . . . if you're a Steinway/Boston dealer.

Mason & Hamlin A (2006); Yamaha P140
D
D
This isn't a point of opinion. Even the Oh Holly Grail of pianos, says the GE series uses inferior materials compared to the Boston (or RX for that matter).

I'm not stating that it would be impossible for someone to prefer a GE-30 over a GP-178 either but if you think that the GE will last longer and wear better then a Boston or RX or C yamaha then you are kidding yourself.

Musically Yours,
Jonathan Hunt

Sales Professional:
Steinway, Boston, Essex, Kohler & Campbell

The Music Gallery
Clearwater, Fl.
S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
I think this is a close call. The Kawai has the Millenium action, the lower price and is newer.

The Boston is a slightly better build, longer, but older and more expensive.

Play them both again. You won't be making a mistake either way.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

B
OP Offline
B
Thank you on your replies. Although I did say that I've played both of the pianos the GE-30 I originally played was brand new at a local dealer's store and not the 2003 I went to see yesterday. After playing the 2003 which had a very beautiful sound in the upper register I've noticed that the difference between the two was rather big. The 2003, although having a very beautiful sound in the upper register was very mushy sounding in the bass. The action was very heavy, still very precise. The seller, who appears to be very anxious to sell as he is moving out of the country mentioned that the piano has been purchased brand new and barely played by his young daughter and has been tuned some two years ago last time and so I wanted to ask if lack of playing or lack of tuning could do this an instrument, that is make the bass sound week and make the action feel heavy? Also could a piano tehnician make the action lighter and how much would something like that cost?

Thank You

Bruno

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission