2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,272 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1360169 01/28/10 01:01 PM
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
...what do you think?

Personally, I'm disappointed that it looks like an iPod touch on steroids, and that it runs a glorified version of iPhone OS instead of Snow Leopard.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
A
A
Disaster, people who are likely to buy that already have a decent phone and laptop..

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Generally disappointed as well. A deal breaker for me is the inability to multi-task e.g., listen to music and read a book at the same time. This is obviously a function of the OS choice and, given the processing power onboard, is a real disappointment.

Also, more personally to my situation, GSM 3G simply isn't available anywhere near me and there aren't any places locally that I'd want to hang out for a long time using their Wi-Fi. If I'm at home, I'll use a computer (desktop or laptop) and the only thing I can see that I'd use an iPad for would be if I could read and listen to music at the same time (see objection above).

I'm also kind of waiting until the whole ebook thing sorts itself out into a widely adopted standard that everybody uses but this isn't really a deal breaker for me.

They'll sell a gazillion of them though.

Greg
I was really interested in the variety of books they have on the iBook site. I like my Kindle because Amazon seems to have a very large and diverse selection that has been growing rapidly since the gadget's inception.

I have an iPod Touch and my son has confiscated it to play application games. If I bought an iPad I know exactly what would happen. With the Kindle it looks too much like a book to interest him smile It's a win -win.

Last edited by Less Rubato; 01/28/10 01:40 PM.
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BB Player
Generally disappointed as well. A deal breaker for me is the inability to multi-task e.g., listen to music and read a book at the same time. This is obviously a function of the OS choice and, given the processing power onboard, is a real disappointment.
[...]

Really? Because I know my iPod touch can play music and surf the web at the same time. How hard could it be to make the iPad play music and display a book?

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Horowitzian
[...]

Really? Because I know my iPod touch can play music and surf the web at the same time. How hard could it be to make the iPad play music and display a book?

Yes, really. See comments here or do a web search for iPad multitask. Quoting from the above link: "Where is multitasking (honestly, only one app at a time for a device of this size and speed)?"

Not supported.

Greg
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Now that is just nuts, Apple. :rolleyes:

I have a MacBook Pro for the times I need a portable computer, thank you very much.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
I'm not sure what Apple had in mind as far as target end user/application is concerned. It's clearly not intended to be a laptop replacement, yet it will run iWork. It's clearly intended to be more than just an e-reader but doesn't multi-task. Dunno.

All I can say is that if I was their target market, they missed.

Greg
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
I'm not sure what Apple had in mind as far as target end user/application is concerned. It's clearly not intended to be a laptop replacement, yet it will run iWork. It's clearly intended to be more than just an e-reader but doesn't multi-task. Dunno.

I'm scratching my head too. since it runs iWork, you'd think they'd implement some sort of stylus input to enable one to take notes on it.

Same here. I'm going to consider an iPhone if/when Verizon or someone besides AT&T gets them. For now, my iPod touch is an excellent mobile device. cool

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Some thoughts on the iPad:

Last edited by BB Player; 01/29/10 10:16 AM. Reason: embedded video

Greg
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Wonder who the overactive imaginations were who thought that up?? grin

Still pretty funny, despite the main character.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
I read that the clip from "The Bunker" has been used more than 250 times in various parodies (I've seen 3 of them). I also read that when the director of the film was asked what he thought of it being used so much for that purpose he said he was OK with it and thought many of them were funny.

Greg
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
It would seem to be highly adaptable.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
It would seem to be highly adaptable.

Yep, pretty adaptable:

Greg
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
LOL. laugh

M
M

I'm sure that you'll be able to do this on the iPad too. The multi-tasking limitation is that you can only use the official Apple apps in the background. Just like the limitations in ipod touch and iphone, it appears that it won't allow you to listen to Pandora or Last.fm and read a book since those aren't Apple sanctioned for backgrounding.

I believe the limitation is in the OS though (not a hardware or memory issue). I'm guessing we'll see this ability in OS 4.0 for all three devices.

I'm personally more disappointed in the lack of Flash and Silverlight. I realize it's old technology, but it'd be awesome to watch Hulu and Netflix on the iPad.

Matthew Ross
Kawai US-6X (photos here)
Played for several years as a child and restarted as an adult in November of 2009
H
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
The earlier prototype???

[Linked Image]

8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mattodono

I'm sure that you'll be able to do this on the iPad too. The multi-tasking limitation is that you can only use the official Apple apps in the background. Just like the limitations in ipod touch and iphone, it appears that it won't allow you to listen to Pandora or Last.fm and read a book since those aren't Apple sanctioned for backgrounding.

I believe the limitation is in the OS though (not a hardware or memory issue). I'm guessing we'll see this ability in OS 4.0 for all three devices.

I'm personally more disappointed in the lack of Flash and Silverlight. I realize it's old technology, but it'd be awesome to watch Hulu and Netflix on the iPad.

Surely!

About Silverlight and Flash...I certainly don't miss either on the itouch. Hulu and Netflix need to adopt better codecs. smile

hv #1364405 02/02/10 11:45 PM
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by hv
The earlier prototype???

[Linked Image]

grin

A
A

My feeling is that movies and books are what they are after.

It's a large surface which is perfect for movies on the go, as well as a Internet, games and books.

I'm really looking forward to Apple being a new player in the game and lowering ebook prices to a reasonable amount. There is simply no reason why ebooks are more expensive than what I can buy with a coupon at my local Borders.

Dr. Appleman, former NASA engineer, Empire of Earth and B.S. of Ninjutsu at MIT.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission