2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Aliwally
I know that the LSD back then was supposely a great tool for learning.

LSD and other psychotropic substances have been clinically proven to be of great benefit under the proper set & setting, especially when applied to drug and alcohol addictions. some number of therapists incorporated its use into their practice, and some took it underground when it was made illegal. part of the problem was its rampant recreational use in the 60s, which led to the baby being thrown out with the bathwater. fortunately, there are a number of organizations working to allow this powerful medicine to be reincorporated back into therapeutic practice.

For those interested in the subject, "The Secret Chief" by Stolaroff is an interesting first-hand account of psychedelic therapeutic applications of LSD and other psychotropic substances.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I get my "highs" from listening to great music and opera.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
As a teenager (and to many that may not matter), I don't use any substance besides my asthma medications because I am underage (and because some of them are illegal altogeter). I have not yet found a reason to alter my mind while performing, although I am not saying that it is bad, because so many others older and more experienced than I am do so and say it works.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by David-G
Me too. thumb

I've got to the age where I'm thinking about how to preserve my mind and body, not stuff it up...

Du holde Kunst...
C
C
Pot can work both ways. If your trying to memorize something, or learn a new piece it can make it harder. On the other hand, if you have a piece you know well, where you have a few passages you can't get right and you need to practice, pot can put you in a frame of mind where you can practice a short passage over and over again for hours and it won't bother you. It puts you in a meditative state.

Alcohol on the other hand, is very bad in every way for practicing and playing, unless your just doing it for fun and don't care how you play. How rock stars get drunk and play concerts is beyond me.

I once read a story about John Lennon when he was recording one of his last solo albums. The bassist pulled out a joint and lit it. Lennon asked him to wait until they finished recording the song. He didn't want anyone messing up the take because they were stoned. Of course, the Beatles did a certain amount of drugs in the Sgt. Pepper era, but I guess Lennon, with experience, thought it made musicians make mistakes more then it helped them focus.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cjsm
Pot can work both ways. If your trying to memorize something, or learn a new piece it can make it harder. On the other hand, if you have a piece you know well, where you have a few passages you can't get right and you need to practice, pot can put you in a frame of mind where you can practice a short passage over and over again for hours and it won't bother you. It puts you in a meditative state.

Alcohol on the other hand, is very bad in every way for practicing and playing, unless your just doing it for fun and don't care how you play. How rock stars get drunk and play concerts is beyond me.

I once read a story about John Lennon when he was recording one of his last solo albums. The bassist pulled out a joint and lit it. Lennon asked him to wait until they finished recording the song. He didn't want anyone messing up the take because they were stoned. Of course, the Beatles did a certain amount of drugs in the Sgt. Pepper era, but I guess Lennon, with experience, thought it made musicians make mistakes more then it helped them focus.

I always figured that The Grateful Dead's music was as bad as it was for similar reasons. A lot of that sort of music was meant to be heard while stoned.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Next there'll be a thread about crack and piano playing. That'll be a real hoot!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by currawong
Originally Posted by David-G
Me too. thumb

I've got to the age where I'm thinking about how to preserve my mind and body, not stuff it up...

I agree with currawong -

I only listen to great music - because it makes me high - and I don't need anything illegal or unhealthy.

"Meditation" is another good suggestion.

Analyze yourself and find out what bothers you, and why you need to self-medicate.

best wishes,
Valerie

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What did the dead-head say when he ran out of dope?

...this band sucks!

I partook of the herb for about 25 years, but have not done any mind-altering stuff for about the last 20. My second ex-wife rolled a number first thing in the morning and had one going just about all day. I am glad
she did-I hate to think how viscous she'd a been without it.

What I learned is that I can't play piano and smoke the stuff. I just thought I played well. Now all I drink on gigs is water.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by eweiss
Next there'll be a thread about crack and piano playing. That'll be a real hoot!

I'm sure the police will be reading with interest! grin

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
T
T
As tempting as it is to beat the dead horse and ramble on for days about my personal experiences with playing piano under the influence of various substances, I'll resist the urge. The bottom of page two is not place for such rants.

Instead, I'll simply share with you some food for thought. The following is a passage from a 1982 Playboy interview of George Carlin regarding his use of marijuana.

"PLAYBOY: Would it be fair to say that you’re not sorry about your 30 years as a pothead but you’re glad they’re over?

CARLIN: Exactly. Grass probably helped me as much as it hurt me. Especially as a performer. When you’re high, it’s easy to kid yourself about how clever certain mediocre pieces of material are. But, on the other hand, pot opens windows and doors that you may not be able to get through any other way. Being a very bound-up, Irish Catholic, I’ve often thought that whatever negative effects pot had on me, it probably saved me from being an alcoholic and a complete brainless idiot by the time I was 25. So I’d say pot has been a break-even proposition for me."

To say Carlin was a master of words would be the understatement of a lifetime. However, that said, I did edit out the profanity from the passage in order to make it appropriate for this platform.

For those who are interested, the full interview can be found at: http://stash.norml.org/george-carlin-how-i-will-miss-you

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Per Orange Soda King - "I have not yet found a reason to alter my mind while performing, although I am not saying that it is bad, because so many others older and more experienced than I am do so and say it works."

Don't believe them fella - its a bunch of baloney.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

Oh don't worry currawong, it's totally recreational, nothing more. I'll grow out of it... I'm merely having fun getting a bit crazy with my mates on the weekend.

But if you really think I need pot to appreciate the glories of Beethoven, Liszt, Wagner and Elgar -not to mention the kinetic excitement of Argerich- then the joke no longer has any relevance.

Not to worry. My job requires so much of my energy, pot is an occasional diversion, nothing more. This thread came up; just thought I'd be honest about it.

Jason
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Mostly sticking to topic here, are there any known examples of compositions created under the influence? The musical equivalent of Coleridge's Kubla Khan?

-Jason

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Oh don't worry currawong, it's totally recreational, nothing more. I'll grow out of it... I'm merely having fun getting a bit crazy with my mates on the weekend.
I know smile - and I'm not judging anyone. Even though I grew up in the 60s I actually never tried it, if you can believe that! But I'm just aware of my age and mortality today... smile

Du holde Kunst...
You mean you never inhaled?

Nice one soundslike.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by beet31425
Mostly sticking to topic here, are there any known examples of compositions created under the influence?

One might think Tristan, but it was Richard Strauss who quite correctly said (to this affect): 'do you know how much effort Wagner put into writing that music?'

Anymore than when Beethoven gave birth to his 7th symphony, Wagner put his whole life and energy into creating that miracle of Tristan. No, he wasn't stoned, but golly gee, has there ever been any more mesmerizing music? I didn't think so.

The first time I heard it I was totally free of any substance, but by the time of King Mark's address I was starting to wonder if someone might have slipped me a little 'something'. Funny, it happens in Strauss's Die Frau also, though not to the same extent.

Jason
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Mostly sticking to topic here, are there any known examples of compositions created under the influence? The musical equivalent of Coleridge's Kubla Khan?

-Jason

How about everything The Beatles wrote from around "Rubber Soul" on.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I have to admit I wouldn't mind trying, but I would have no clue where to get it to try it. I live in almost total isolation, I never go out, etc....

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Originally Posted by stores

-Jason

How about everything The Beatles wrote from around "Rubber Soul" on.
Not to mention all of Louis Armstrong.

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission