2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Believe it or not, our 17th quarterly Piano World Adult Beginners Forum recital approaches! The recital will be posted some time on the 15th of February, which means that the submissions must be in by 9:00 pm EST, February 14. Please note this deadline is very firm; I cannot start working on the recital until it is closed, and once it is closed, no new entries can be added.

While any and all styles of music are welcome, we do ask that it be piano related.

If you are fairly new to the piano, please do not be intimidated by some of the talent here in the ABF. We all consider ourselves to be beginners even though we may have been playing for some time. And, we LOVE to hear recordings from folks new to the keyboard. So even if you’re on your first Alfred’s method book, we would *really* enjoy hearing from you.

Recital submissions should be in MP3 format. The maximum size of the file is 20 MB. We recommend encoding the recording at 192 kbs with a constant bitrate, as that works best with the online streaming player. At that bitrate, a 20 MB file works out to be about 7 minutes in length. Your recording will be normalized when placed in the consolidated zip files, but your original link will still be available for those who want it.

If you are new to recording your music, there are several threads in the forum archives that address the ways and means. See the "Important Topics in the AB Forum" thread stickied at the top of the AB forum page. Audacity is an excellent "free" recording application that can be used.

Submitting Your Recording:

We will be using again the absolutely marvelous automatic web-based recital program that mahlzeit wrote for us. And thanks to LaValse's extremely generous offer to host the recital program and zip files on his server, it is no longer necessary to upload your mp3 files to box.net or some other file hosting server prior to submitting it to the recital. You will upload your mp3 file to the recital server as part of the recital submission process.

When you have your mp3 file ready, go to:

http://abf.make247.co.uk/

and follow the instructions there. Once you have uploaded your info to the automated recital website, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. You will have the opportunity to revise your submission any time up until the deadline. If you have any problems at all using the new website, or if you do not receive a confirmation e-mail within a few hours, just PM me. If you have not participated in past recitals using this software, you may want to submit your recital piece at least a day in advance in case you run into any problems with it. (Though there should be no problems. Mahlzeit is a genius. heart )

Mahlzeit's website will use the following submission template to be filled out along with your attached music file. You may want to have your responses to these fields prepared in advance so all you have to do is cut and paste:

Performer's Name: {forum ID and real name if you’d like}
Where you are located: {optional}
Experience: {Yrs/Mos of piano playing experience}
Link to YouTube or other video: {optional}
Home page link: {optional}
Title of piece/composer:
Source of music: {sheet music, improvised score, play-by-ear, etc}
Instrument used: {Piano make, keyboard model, etc.}
Recording method: {audacity, Zoom, digital to PC, etc.}
Constructive technical feedback wanted: {Yes/No}
Additional Info: {Your thoughts on the piece, etc. etc.}

The due date for all submissions is 9:00 pm US EASTERN TIME on February 14, 2010.

Did I mention that the 9:00 pm deadline was firm?

Think "consistency of concrete." smokin

By submitting a piece to the recital, you are certifying that it is an amateur recording of your own performance.

Again, the recital order will be presented in the order the pieces were received, so the sooner you send in your piece, the higher you will be on the list! This serves to reward the folks who feel on top of their game, and it's about as fair as I can think of for all parties. You can revise your entries on the template (e.g., thoughts about your piece, adding YouTube links, and the like) any time and not lose your place in the recital queue, but if you resubmit your recording at any time, for any reason, you will be bumped to the end of the list.

Should anyone have any questions at all on what to do or how to do it, this is the place to ask. Remember, there are NO stupid questions, as we have a steady flow of new members in AB forum for whom this is their first recital, so your questions will probably help to eliminate other members’ problems. Please ask away!

Let's all go out and brave that Red Dot and share a lot of beautiful music! smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm ready to submit, but I don't wanna be first. smokin

laugh

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm in the middle of another file upload so I'll have to wait until that is finished before I think of uploading my piece. My upload would likely take too long otherwise causing it to fail. I wouldn't want that now would I?

I'm sure someone will get something uploaded before me as I'll be at least a half hour. smile

Roland FP-7 / Pianoteq 4.5.1
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oh, not already?

I'm going to be an 11th hour submitted again.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Ack! Ack! Ack! Ack! Ack! Ack! Ack!

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Eek, already! shocked

I'll go ahead and submit a Chopin prelude that I made a decent recording of a couple of days ago, which I am happy with. Though I'm hoping to have something else at performance level by the 14th (either Open Arms by Journey or Eyes On Me from FF8), and I'll replace it and bump myself down the list if I do. If I can't get anything else to where I'm happy with it by then I'll just leave the prelude up.

z32 Offline
lol Didn't even know there was a recital going on! Wanted to post my piece in the Feb. piano bar, but since this is up, decided to enter it here instead!

smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'll submit an entry too, I'm working on a short beginner piece by Beethoven right now.

[Linked Image]
Recitals:[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Question: what is the easiest way to link to one's avatar in the optional fields area of the submission form? Thanks in advance.

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
1a. (Firefox) Rightclick your avatar in any of your posts, choose "copy image location",
1b. (IE) Rightclick your avatar in any of your posts, choose "properties", mark the text under "address", CTRL-C to copy,

2. go to the field in the form, press ctrl-v to paste

aim for the moon - if you miss, at least you'll be among the stars.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Bunneh - Thanks much! I started in that direction but didn't think to chose "properties".

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
A
A
Hi can I use a harpsichord sound for my submission ? (digital piano) Or is it only piano sound? thanks

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Harpsichord sound is fine, Albany. smile We've even had some of the full-blown "band in the box" submissions with other accompaniments, too. All that's necessary is that a keyboard of some sort was involved in making the music.

I can't believe we've got 18 submissions already!! wow

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Whew! My first e-cital/recital ever. Yes, the little red light does play a factor.

Thanks for setting this up, Monica.

This is fun!

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
I don't know if it was the song, but this time I was really beginning to get annoyed with the re-takes. It's such a predicament. In the beginning, our first takes are fresh, but the mistakes kind of throw a monkey wrench into it. Then, when we finally get the piece reasonably under our fingers, it's lost it's freshness and musically it ain't too good although the notes may be right. Do you share this dilemma? The answer may be to set lower expectations as far as pieces, choose something that can be done without wearing out the record button and have a more spontaneous result. Thanks for listening to the rant. In May I'll probably be back to 10 redos and leaving a trail of expletives from the piano to the living room.

Andy

[Linked Image]

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Manndrew
I don't know if it was the song, but this time I was really beginning to get annoyed with the re-takes. It's such a predicament. In the beginning, our first takes are fresh, but the mistakes kind of throw a monkey wrench into it. Then, when we finally get the piece reasonably under our fingers, it's lost it's freshness and musically it ain't too good although the notes may be right. Do you share this dilemma? The answer may be to set lower expectations as far as pieces, choose something that can be done without wearing out the record button and have a more spontaneous result. Thanks for listening to the rant. In May I'll probably be back to 10 redos and leaving a trail of expletives from the piano to the living room.

Andy

Similar thoughts shared. Maybe something light and bright for May... flowers and all you know.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've taken the liberty to familiarize myself with some of the pieces already showing on the list.

Sorry, Ken, but when I search for, "Minuet fait par Monsieur Bohm" on You Tube I get:

"No videos found for “Minuet fait par Monsieur Bohm”"

and this redirected search: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Minuet+fait+par+Monsieur+Bohm&search_type=&aq=f

After the initial disappointment of having no search results, the topic of the redirected search made me laugh (juvenile, I know).

So, Ken, here's wishing your submission is much more in tune and better sounding than these search results! laugh

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Mines in and trust me when I say I had to dig deep for this one!

I ended up playing an original piece by ear I've been using to practice fingering and scales with.

I'm doing something really stupid and that is to restart the recording every time I make a mistake. While this is a good method should you want to make a zillion attempts at getting a good one, it is inefficent as heck..(not to mention nerve racking!)

From now on I'm going with the *leave the recorder on the entire time* method. My wife, dog, cat and sanity will be all the better for it I'm sure.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jotur
Ack! Ack! Ack! Ack! Ack! Ack! Ack!

Cathy

Battle of Britain? laugh

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Argh! I don't know if I'll be ready to submit in time. The two recordings I have now are... in a word, sucky.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission