2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,961 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 53 of 75 1 2 51 52 53 54 55 74 75
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bobjr
Hi... I need a little help on Toreador song. The triplets, what are they really supposed to sound like.

They're supposed to sound like 3 notes played evenly and somewhat quickly.

The footnote states that "the three notes of a sixteenth-note triplet are played evenly, in the time of one eighth note " (emphasis mine).

Compare the 16th-note triplet in measure #9 to the double eighth notes that immediately follow it. The 3 notes of the triplet are played in the same amount of time as one of the 2 notes of each pair of 8th notes.

For example, if you keep the tempo via tapping your left foot and if you typically play the 1st note of an 8th note pair on the "downbeat", then you would also play the 3 notes of the 16th-note triplet on that same downbeat.

This is all eqivalent to what you're probably already familiar with when you play the 3 notes of an eighth-note triplet in the same time as one quarter note .

"Toreador Song" is one of the better arrangements in Book 3 and I thoroughly enjoyed working on it and playing it. You will too when you start getting on top of it!

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
G
G
Hey,

Sorry if i should have posted this elsewhere, but this seemed like a relevent thread...

Im currently going through the adult course 1 book and am up to page 42... i only play for a few hours every other day or so, i unfortunatly spend alot of time working so i dont have as much time as i would like to practise...

Anyway ive been doing all the question/answer bits as i go through and my girlfriend asked me how i knew what i was writing was correct... Im pretty sure it was correct but i went to check the back of the book and noticed there was no answers... so i was just curious, is there any place you can get the answers just to confirm they are correct?

Also most pages have practise pieces to run through, usually showing how to play what you have recently learnt. I was just wondering what peoples thoughts are on how you should deal with those bits... currently i play them until i feel fairly confident with it and can play it through at least once without any mistakes... this sound ok or should i stay on each one until its perfect?

Sorry for the sporadic questions, just wanted to see what you all thought...

B
B
Originally Posted by John Frank
Originally Posted by bobjr
Hi... I need a little help on Toreador song. The triplets, what are they really supposed to sound like.

They're supposed to sound like 3 notes played evenly and somewhat quickly.

The footnote states that "the three notes of a sixteenth-note triplet are played evenly, in the time of one eighth note " (emphasis mine).

Compare the 16th-note triplet in measure #9 to the double eighth notes that immediately follow it. The 3 notes of the triplet are played in the same amount of time as one of the 2 notes of each pair of 8th notes.

For example, if you keep the tempo via tapping your left foot and if you typically play the 1st note of an 8th note pair on the "downbeat", then you would also play the 3 notes of the 16th-note triplet on that same downbeat.

This is all eqivalent to what you're probably already familiar with when you play the 3 notes of an eighth-note triplet in the same time as one quarter note .

"Toreador Song" is one of the better arrangements in Book 3 and I thoroughly enjoyed working on it and playing it. You will too when you start getting on top of it!

JF

Thanks for the advice,. It is starting to come together now and I have to agree it is one of the nicer songs in the book. Can't say I am really looking forward to playing "rock-a-my-soul" for the 2nd time. I think on Toreador and Sorrento are my favorites so far.

Originally Posted by Grofit
Hey,

Sorry if i should have posted this elsewhere, but this seemed like a relevent thread...

Im currently going through the adult course 1 book and am up to page 42... i only play for a few hours every other day or so, i unfortunatly spend alot of time working so i dont have as much time as i would like to practise...

Anyway ive been doing all the question/answer bits as i go through and my girlfriend asked me how i knew what i was writing was correct... Im pretty sure it was correct but i went to check the back of the book and noticed there was no answers... so i was just curious, is there any place you can get the answers just to confirm they are correct?

Also most pages have practise pieces to run through, usually showing how to play what you have recently learnt. I was just wondering what peoples thoughts are on how you should deal with those bits... currently i play them until i feel fairly confident with it and can play it through at least once without any mistakes... this sound ok or should i stay on each one until its perfect?

Sorry for the sporadic questions, just wanted to see what you all thought...

Hi Grofit and welcome to the forum. I can’t answer your question about the “questing and answers” in book 1 right now. To be perfectly honest I don’t remember them, and I’m not at home where my books are right now. Your method of dealing with the practice pieces sounds about right though. Once you can play them confidently and all the way through without any mistakes its time to move on. As you progress through the Alfred books this may change a little. At first it’s all about learning to play the notes, later on you’ll start working on a lot more subtleties in terms of dynamics, tempo, mood, etc.

Also, while you’re more than welcome to post questions or thoughts to this, the book 3 thread, I just want to make sure you’re aware that we actually have three separate threads going, one for each of the Alfred’s Adult book levels:

Book 1: http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/32/3619.html
Book 2: http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/32/4340.html

Keep up the good work,
Undone

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
G
G
Oh sorry, i did notice the different forums and thought i had posted in the first book ones... sorry... feel free to move it there if needed.

Good to know im on the right lines with how im approaching the task though!

B
B
Well seems I have completed Toccata in D Minor, anyone know a book that has the complete version with the fugue at a similar difficulty level? Maybe a different Alfred book ? I searched their website and I could only come up with the toccata. There are some books with Bach piano transcriptions but they are mostly very advanced and seem to be a little out of my league at this point. 2nd time Alfred has done that to me. Book 2 they had some variation of Cannon D and the "good part" never comes. Well the fugue seems like the "good part" of this piece, Toccata is like the intro.

Toccata & Fugue in d minor is one of my all time favorites. I have the sheet music for it, but it’s the full organ score (with foot pedals). I worked on this long before my “re-beginning” with Alfred’s. Working out your own transcription from the organ music is not really all that difficult in this case. There are several version of it available here: http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/search?q=toccata+and+fugue+in+d+minor including ones that are transcribed for piano. I think that if you’re willing to put the time in on this piece you could work your way through it “as written” (un-simplified). It’s just not going to be a quick “few week” project.

Undone

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

[Linked Image]
B
B
Thanks. I printed it out but it is so small, I guess I will put it on hold until I finish the last few songs from book 3.

Undone, Thanks for the advice about working on Toccata", I am teaching myself how to play organ... it will take considerable time and "Toccata" is what I want to attempt to play when I reach the comfort level of knowing the pedal board well! I have played it on my piano with the organ voice and just want to do this!

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ok, time to check in again-

Still working on the same 3 pieces. I think the Frosted Windowpanes will clear this Tuesday. Needed a little more "flow" and dynamic work, but I feel it's coming along. We'll see what my teacher thinks! Hymne (the Vangelis piece) is slower going. We added most of the third page to learn, but the chord progressions need a lot of smoothing and the dynamics are pretty much non-existant at this point. To A Wild Rose is working fairly well. A couple tricky spots yet for me, and controlling the p - pp - ppp at the end is not always smooth. It will get there, though. I hope!

On another note, I did finally get the Kawai MP-4 set up again upstairs. Now all I need to do is find the thingie that connects to the computer and I can try recording again. Can't go directly into the computer- my laptop is waaaaay too noisy!

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Is Clarke's "Trumpet Tune" in book 3 the same as "The Prince of Denmark's March"?

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by piano4
Undone, Thanks for the advice about working on Toccata", I am teaching myself how to play organ... it will take considerable time and "Toccata" is what I want to attempt to play when I reach the comfort level of knowing the pedal board well! I have played it on my piano with the organ voice and just want to do this!

Piano4 – It’s hard to play that piece (even if just playing parts of it) and not dream of getting a chance to do so on a giant pipe organ in some huge and echoing cathedral.

Undone

[Linked Image]
IrishMak – Good to hear from you! I’m just about finished with American Hymn and the first section of Book 3. I feel like I’m moving in slow motion through some of this stuff, but I have been working on some additional material outside of Alfred’s (that’s my excuse and I’m sticking with it). smile Anyway, I look forward to hearing some recordings from you.

Undone

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Waltz
Is Clarke's "Trumpet Tune" in book 3 the same as "The Prince of Denmark's March"?

Nope, the "Trumpet Tune" in Book 3 is Purcell's:

Trumpet Tune

Undone

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Undone - very well played - I didn't know you had a digital with trumpet and organ "voices" laugh

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

WOW, I noticed the other day that I haven't posted in the PW forums in awhile and I feel everyone has passed me by. frown

I haven't moved much in Book 3 myself. I'm finishing up "Steal Away", which is only page 30-31. I don't feel I'm very far in the book considering when I started it. Of course, my teacher has me working out of at least 4 other books too and I only work out of book 3 it seems every other month. My goal is to finish book 3 this year, some way, some how. My teacher may have something to say about that.

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Undone, and LOL @ JF's comment laugh

Cool signature quote Cyborg

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Cyborg - welcome back!

What are the other books you're working on?

JF

Originally Posted by John Frank
Undone - very well played - I didn't know you had a digital with trumpet and organ "voices" laugh

JF

[Linked Image]

Undone

[Linked Image]
Page 53 of 75 1 2 51 52 53 54 55 74 75

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission