2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 13 invisible), 2,099 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
L
I play the ukulele. I can't do anything fancy...mostly just strum chords and sing. I consider it my summer instrument because it's so portable. I love to play on the front porch or at the lake sitting in a lawn chair. It's such a quiet instrument that I can play almost anywhere without disturbing people. We drive cross-country every year or two and there's always room in the car for my ukulele. It helps to cure the piano withdrawal.

I also hope one day to learn to play the pipe organ at church (I have unlimited access) and also to continue with the violin. (I'm in book 2 of Suzuki if that gives you any idea how little I have learned so far.)

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Percussion =)

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
J
J
Probably as most of you know if you read my early postings, I started out as a piano performance major and then turned to the harp, which I played for almost 40 years. Now the piano is my major focus and soon to become even more so with my first recital coming up in 7 weeks! It's going to be so fantastic to perform again in front of an audience (although I am scared to death........) But it's going to happen!! Jim

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I used to play the classical guitar. In my 20's, through hard work, I became quite reasonable and used to play the likes of the Villa Lobos Preludes, Bach, Tarrega Recuerdos, etc, etc.

Then the pressures of work, etc meant that I put the guitar in the back burner, sometimes not touching it for long periods and then trying to catch up again - so I gradually deteriorated. Also my right hand acquired 'problems', probably due to bad habits and stress. Then I developed Dupuytren's Contracture on my right little finger, extending to my right ring finger. In the end I had a hand operation to deal with it. The outcome of which was pretty good. Eventually I was so frustrated and upset that the things I used to be able to play with ease had become so difficult that I stopped taking the instrument out of its case.

So - two months ago I returned to the piano!

So far, so good smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
degree in music performance - percussion. earned my living for many years as a professional drummer, percussionist, and played with some folks who went on to fame & fortune. eventually followed a different calling, then a career in software development, and lo and behold drawn to the piano @ 10 years ago.

as my homies would say, what a long, strange trip it's been.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I play the instruments listed in my profile. Two instruments I would like to add to the list but most probably not in the near future are the harp and the electric violin, but for the moment I would prefer to concentrate on what I already have... smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I taught myself to play the recorder (alto and soprano) when I was without a piano for 3 years. One day I hope to learn the flute and violin.

My husband plays the radio.

Best regards,

Deborah
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gooddog
My husband plays the radio.

My foster father plays jokes. This is his only instrument.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I played violin, although never very well. Now I only touch it every few months. One day I hope to get back into it but there's just not enough time in my day. Maybe if I quit piano for a few years.

M
M
In the past, in dance bands, guitar, bass, concertina; also in the past, cello and oboe. However, I am finding piano much more friendly and logical than any of those except maybe the bass.

Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
I was a classic and flamenco guitarist for many, many years, teaching, performing and even did some touring with a flamenco dance group. Arthritis in the middle finger of my left hand put an end to my ability to play guitar so I took up piano. I love playing piano, I can now play things like Haydn sonatas that I could only dream of playing on the guitar.

The guitar is still a major element in the lives of my wife and I since building world class guitars has been our fascination and livelyhood for almost 50 years.

John Shelton
Shelton-Farretta Guitars
www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by stores
I'm an organist, as well.
Same here. At uni I started with piano, but switched to organ and church music, I guess I just found it more congenial, more in line with my (sometimes) very intense Anglicanism. (Long story there...)

I don't have a permanent appointment, but I'm on the substitute lists for a number of churches. Often I have to pinch hit -nice Americanism there!- at the last minute. It keeps me focused, whatever that means.

Jason
B
B
I play the bass guitar, guitar, and ukelele in addition to piano. My piano definitely gets the most love. I figured I'd rather be an excellent pianist, a mediocre guitarist, bassist, uke player, rather than a good pianist, a good guitarist, a good bassist, etc.

I sometimes I wish I played the cello or violin.

Perhaps both someday soon. (:

Liszt - Liebestraume No. 3
Chopin - Revolutionary Etude
Mozart - Sonata in G Major, K. 283
Prokofiev - Dance of the Knights
T
T
I taught myself to play recorder (soprano) when I was at university, some years after I quit piano. Found my recorder a while back when I was packing up to move out on my own again. I may take it up again some day. For now, the piano is enough. I don't want to try my neighbours' patience any more than I already do.

[Linked Image]

Currently working on: Suzuki Piano School, book 5, second half
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Uke and guitar. Picked them up later in life. Got a case of GAS (guitar aquisition syndrome) so now I have 2 soprano ukes, one baritone uke, an acoustic guitar, an acoustic travel guitar, 2 electic guitars, amps, etc.

But once I got the Estonia, they have gotten a little dusty..

Estonia L190 #7004
Casio CDP S350
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stanza[...
Got a case of GAS (guitar aquisition syndrome) [...]

Or more generally, Gear Acquisition Syndrome. I feel your pain, mate. I'm starting to get GAS again these days...must resist, must resist... laugh

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I had firmly promised not to buy a new instrument in 2010, but I couldn't resist the temptation to buy a a quena the other day. I actually asked for the price, walked on and went back after 10 minutes or so... whome

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Trombone. I'm able to get by in all the brass, but trombone is primary. And... barely worth mentioning... a long-past and ill-advised adventure with oboe for about a year (never again).

"Wide awake, I can make my most fantastic dreams come true..."
- Lorenz Hart
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
I had firmly promised not to buy a new instrument in 2010, but I couldn't resist the temptation to buy a a quena the other day. I actually asked for the price, walked on and went back after 10 minutes or so... whome

I've got my eye on either getting some more stompbox effects and building a pedalboard for my electric guitars or possibly considering a pedal steel. However, the steel would set me back at least 3k, and I'm not sure I want to spend that kind of money right now.

Last edited by Horowitzian; 02/01/10 08:54 PM. Reason: Bad spelling. :-)

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
Technically, the piano is my second instrument. I've played flute for the past nine years, and will actually be auditioning for colleges in the next month or so ( eek !). I've been playing piano for only abouttt.... eight months. It's great to finally be able to play pieces (on the piano) that I've wanted to for years (: I've picked it up pretty quickly too, I'm learning a Chopin nocturne nowadays.

One day I swear I will learn cello (though it will have to wait until I get my own place since my parents say I can't learn any string instruments while I live with them ha)

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission