2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, 8 invisible), 1,403 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hi,
I am new on this forum. I am making the switch to keys from guitar. Since I am teaching myself I will need to ask questions from time to time. Hope this is the right place. I made some big mistakes when teaching myself guitar(I finger barre chords with switched ring/pinky placement,with big hands it felt better,until I tried advanced blues).
I had 2 yrs of piano 30 yrs ago in uni as part of my audio engineering program at NYU, but soon abandoned keys for guitar except to fill in bass parts when bass players went missing. I know theory and can read treble clef but have to think about bass clef. Over the last month I have been refreshing my piano licks. I know major/minor/7/m7 chords in all keys with both hands, but will need to relearn all the inversions. And I gotta get my lesser used scales automatic again. So I sort of have a direction.
So,my first question. Watching lesson vids on youtube I see different teachers playing the same song(Midnight Hour)but using different bass fingerings for the same notes. The difference seems to be one guy covers the whole octave as a position while playing the bass riff, where the other holds the chord-shape and moves it up and down from C to F. Since alot of the basslines I have used all these years on keys were simple, based on root/5/oct with the standard 4/6 variations, I am more comfortable approaching bass with my big hand spread root to oct. Moving the C chord up to the F by moving your whole hand, when all I need do is use my fingers seems "uneconomical". Besides, there is a simple F inversion where I can leave my pinky anchored on the C key. Am I missing something here? Remember, as a guitarist I think in chords. I will be focused on blues/rock for now, since its what I know best, but want to work up to boogie-woogie/rags and Commander Cody/Lynyrd Skynyrd style country-rockers.
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Adios,
mannshands

Another aging guitarist making the switch to piano. Current rig is a Casio CTK-700 with a small Laney amp.
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by mannshands
Hi,
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Adios,
mannshands

Really? We'll see.

Two suggestions:

1. Use paragraphs. This was very hard to read. (you did say any input)

2. Go on youtube and search for left hand piano. There is a very good demonstration of ten different left hand patterns complete with fingerings. I'd post the link but youtube is blocked to this location.

gotta go practice
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hi MH, and welcome to the ABF!

I’m not one to be giving advice on playing a piano, but it has been my observation that the left-hand bass fingering technique is rather individual and not all are exactly the same. I try to watch and listen to others (who can play a lot better than me) play and observe their style and fingering technique.

So, my best advice to you is to select a LH style or riff that you want to play, and mimic others to see how it sounds and feels to you and then apply your own style/technique.

For example, I wanted to learn to play the Jerry Lee Lewis left hand boogie style and it was really awkward and difficult at first. However, now I can really let it fly with my left hand and it sounds so good to me it makes me want to jump up off the piano bench and knock the bench over with my legs and really let myself go!! grin

But, of course, I have to restrain myself and act civilized at the piano or my wife will think I’m not living right!! (But what she don’t know won’t hurt her/just kidding grin)

Fact is, if I enjoyed playing those oldie rock-n-roll tunes on the piano any better, people would think I was high on drugs. grin

Hope this helps!

Rick

Last edited by Rickster; 01/27/10 02:45 PM.

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
L
L
The secret of good left hand playing is a good left hand technique. A good technique means using your hand to:

1) Produce good notes.
2) Get ready for the next note.
3) Be able to play notes fast
4) Play relaxed

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission