2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (busa, clothearednincompo, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,119 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 10fingers
Besides, playing along with an accompaniment gets old pretty fast. It'd be a lot more fun to get together with some live musicians...

Jonathan

Can't agree with you there, Fingers, it's never gotten old for me...I've used accompaniments for years.

All well and good to play with other musicians when and if they are available, which you can also do with the 635...in fact it can substitute for the musicians you couldn't find to play in an ensemble, perhaps as a bass player or drummer.

I use my PSR-S910 midi'd to my 88 key P-85 and also my CP-300...it's great fun, especially when I can play in an ensemble of my own choosing, at a time that I choose.

Auto-accompaniments aren't the tippy tappy joke they used to be 30 years ago...they've come a long way, and can now be considered a benefit rather than a hindrance.

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
S
S
For me, the drum kit was an added bonus for my Roland 700GX. Many piano teachers say to play with a metronome, which I find to be annoying. But I have done some studio work, and I know how important it is to stay on the beat, which often people don't realize how much they speed up and slow down without a click track or drums.

I presume playing to a drum track achieves basically the same thing as playing to a metronome, but it's just a far more enjoyable experience. The p-155 only has a metronome, the 635 has drum tracks. I would reluctantly use the metronome to work on timing if I had no other options.

So whereas I probably wouldn't use drum tracks in performance (maybe for one song, just for variety, I'm pretty much a solo performer), they are helpful to occasionally use in my home. I'm pretty sure I would not use the accompaniment feature during a performance. Seems "dishonest" to me.

Sprout

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sprout

So whereas I probably wouldn't use drum tracks in performance (maybe for one song, just for variety, I'm pretty much a solo performer), they are helpful to occasionally use in my home. I'm pretty sure I would not use the accompaniment feature during a performance. Seems "dishonest" to me.

Sprout

Using a digital piano could be deemed "dishonest"...it's not a "real" piano. wink

Used tastefully, accompaniments add to a performance, but one should not rely solely on them for playing, unless playing the piano is secondary.

There are many performers who play piano along with a standard midi file (SMF), which is basically an extension of accompaniment styles.

I play over SMF (usually one I make myself) when I want to try out different piano licks within a tune.

It will certainly depend on how one advertises oneself for gigs...honesty would surely be the best policy...and, if I was hired for a solo piano performance, no way would I use accompaniment or SMF.

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
S
S
I didn't mean dishonest in a totally bad way (but yes, I would sometimes say that a dp is even bordering on "dishonest")--I just mean that it borders a little too close to karaoke for me. When I go to see a performance, I want to hear people playing intruments, not just pushing play. I feel pretty much the same way about using a CD for tracks. I'm mostly a singer and I use guitar/piano as accompaniment. It's odd for me when someone performs and just sings using backing tracks. Kinda the same way with accompaniments. Now if you program them yourself, that might be a different matter. Just using the stock sounds is odd for me.

Sprout

The YPG-635 isn't too great as a piano due to the unrealistic 1-layer samples. They sound halfway decent through headphones or external speakers but they totally lack the sharp bite you get from playing f and harder on an acoustic piano and lack detail when played softly. I suppose it doesn't matter as much when you're just trying to learn most pieces, but it's annoying when you're trying to play something from start to finish.... but I'm just pickier than the average person :P

It does have a ton of other sounds, but much like the piano, they all sound kinda thin and digital. Additionally, the speakers (and headphone out) hiss even at low volumes, just like my old cheapo 61-key Yamaha.

Roland FP-90X, Kronos2-61
J
jabe74 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hey, lots more wonderful comments.

Tbar, I haven't tried the Roland -- or any Roland for that matter. I'll see if I can find one, but there are few music stores in my area.

10fingers -- I might try calling Guitar Center. Are you saying they might offer a discount if I ask, even if I don't see a lower price elsewhere? What's a rock-bottom price for the P155?

Do folks think the P155 will go on sale in March or April, when the new Yamahas come out?

Thanks again for all your help. I love this board. jabe74

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by jabe74

10fingers -- I might try calling Guitar Center. Are you saying they might offer a discount if I ask, even if I don't see a lower price elsewhere? What's a rock-bottom price for the P155?

I don't think asking outright for a percent off will work. Not if they see that you are already committed to buying a piano. They do offer discounts but only if they think it's the only way to close a deal. Go in the store and play the piano for a while. When the sales guy asks tell him you like it but you will need to come back in a week or two after saving more money. He will offer a zero interest loan. Tell him you never borrow money. Lowering the price is the salesman's last resort, not his first. If you know this then you can let him exaust his other options. But be prepared to jump on the discont. he will never put the discount offer in writing.

They will however price match without any arguments or conditions. As long as the other store has them instock they will beat that price by 10%.

They will have sales but discounts on Yamaha products are rare. You only tend to see store wide deals like "$100 off any single item over $1,000" and those kinds of sales,

Last edited by ChrisA; 01/26/10 05:50 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I would take a different approach. Make an offer.

If they hesitate, offer to pay in cash. (That saves them nearly 3% vs. a credit card payment.)

J
jabe74 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Unfortunately there are no GCs in my area, Chris and Mac. I suppose I could call up and see how things go. I've seen storewide sales at other sites, like MW, and might be willing to wait for another. Thanks, J.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by jabe74
Unfortunately there are no GCs in my area

No? What next? I suppose you'll say there are no Starbucks either.

Seriously, some Saturday you will just have to make a day of it and take a road trip back to civilization and plan on spending all day in a music store or maybe you find a place where several are close by. Maybe take a side trip and see what these things called "Starbucks" are all about. I did just that. I decided to spend a few hours in each of two stores. Took all day. but it's one one day and you'll then be the expert.

J
jabe74 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Ha! We finally got a Starbucks a couple years ago. Seriously, there are no GCs in our state. I suppose I could take a four-hour drive. Not everyone lives in Southern California, nor wants to. Next time I go to a big city, I'll check it out. But I appreciate your advice Chris.

jabe74

S
S
Extremely happy with my YPG-635. Only "con" I have is the looks of it. Recently added to it the 3 pedal unit (BestBuy had a discount on accessories). There you: a plug for the 635!
Note: remember the DGX-630 is the same piano

B
B
I also had the DGX 630, I returned it because one speaker had a defect. I also missed the connection, and I didnt like the headphone connector at the backsite, so the wire was always on top of the keyboard.

Now I have a Casio PX 330 and I'm happy with it.

Casio Privia PX-330BK
It looks like Yamaha is launching the DGX-640 soon, with apparently few changes (?) but -to me - better looks than the 630/635. Maybe an opportunity to get good rebates on 630/635 if the shops have a large stock.
[Linked Image]

Adult Beginner on a Roland FP-7
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I also had a 635 for a short time. The main annoyance for me was that the left hand did not sustain in split mode. I don't know if that makes a difference to anyone else but for me it was maddening.
I did like many of the voices. The speakers were fairly weak but with headphones sounded fine.
Now I have a PX330 and while both sides sustain, I have other minor annoyances. However, for the money I realize I can't have everything I want!

Sandy

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission