2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (36251, 1200s, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, 11 invisible), 1,517 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 106 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 105 106
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Brought the piano tipper with me and dropped some super glue on the pins of a wurli spinet at a music school. Doping, tuning, and a few minor repairs took 2 hours. Tuned a nice Yamaha C-7. Last guy used an ETD and the temperament was off in a strange way. Maybe bad measuring. The pins were difficult to set- tight, flexible, and sticky. Tuned a new one at the warehouse, picked up two benches at the store, fixed an errant fall board, and got a haircut.

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Did only 5 today. Kimball grand and replace a bass string, Wurly spinet, Bald grand, Walter Studio and Acro. Met my wife in town and had a "Chicago 7" Calzone at Old Chicago Pizza washed down by a tall Smithwicks and short black and tan.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I did "only" four today, but 3 of them had pitch raises, so does that count as seven...:-)? Kawai ge1a, Kawai cx5 (not my favorite kawai by a long sight), Kawai ust 12, Schafer 41 inch console. Watching Dennis the menace with wife and 9 year old son.

Promote Harmony in the Universe...Tune your piano!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net
E
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
"Hoping" to tune tomorrow...still recovering from a nasty cold...ears plugged...WHAT?...I said my ears are plugged.

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Eric Gloo
"Hoping" to tune tomorrow...still recovering from a nasty cold...ears plugged...WHAT?...I said my ears are plugged.

WHAT? did you say beers in the mug?

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bob

.....and got a haircut.

Funny, your hair looks the same in your avatar.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I tuned 5 again today. Dang glutton.

1. Tuned a Schimmel T120, raised pitch about 1/8 tone.
2. Tuned a Cable console. Not tuned since 1973. My uncle Bob tuned it last. Raised pitch 3/4 to 1 full tone to A/440. No broken strings.
3. Tuned a Story & Clark studio. Raised pitch almost 1/4 tone.
4. Tuned (oops another K word) a Kawai console. Raised pitch 1/8 tone.
5. Tuned everyone's favorite. A Kimball spinet. Raised pitch 1/8 tone. Been tuning this one yearly for 30 years. Tuned it in June when I did some action work to it thus the reason for the pitch raise.

What is it with 1/8 P.R's today anyway?

See, I really do tune other brands too! grin

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Now I look like the avatar...it was pretty long grin

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
5 today. Baldwin spinet, SS B, Yammy G1, M&H studio and a Wurly spinet. The B was in a lakeside gated community, parquet floors, bay windows, 4 car garage, guest house, etc. 16 year old boy skipped school to see der pianna tuna. Spent lots of time explaining things, (no there IS NO such thing as a "solid brass toneboard," etc.) Kid was a hot new age/jazz pianist.

M&H owner hit a bass octave C1-2 and "see, I don't like this." (Been a year since I tuned it last.) Mid range a bit sharp but the octave itself was OK. Hmmmm. OK, says I, let's give it a tuning. Temperment comes out clean, work the 3rds and 6ths, 4ths 5th into the base, go to 10ths, min 17ths and everything looks good. F1 and below octaves are a bit wide but correct. I hit a few cords. "I love the middle," says she and I demonstrate the intervals and physics involved. She's satisfied, almost. "I'm a string player, violin and viola. I never like piano basses."

Bingo. I pull the bass octaves sharp of pure and, "yeah, that's it!" says she. Oh well....

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
4 today! Oh no! He did the K word again!

1. Kawai K-2
2. Did another Kawai K-2
3. Did ANOTHER Kawai UST-9
4. Ha ha! I also did a Baldwin console.

Raised pitch on all, from about 438, shimmed a key slip on the UST-9---seems to be a constant problem with these pianos with those things warping. All in all a nice day.

Making $$$ anyway. grin

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Why is it always the last piano of the day (6pm) that is 150 cents flat??? WW Kimball circa 1990. Probably sent flat to the customer from the store with no free tuning, and the customer admits to never tuning it. Two other pianos today were 100 cents flat as well. It's always a rough day when I've never seen any of the pianos before. While searching the web for prices on an Baldwin L I'm appraising, I came to realize how low piano prices have gotten.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
replaced a set of butt cord on a U1 smile

Hailun dealer in Johor Bahru base in Ulu Tiram
Genio Silent system installer
Piano Tuner tech +65 90228720 Singapore & JB 012 7702587
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Rebuilt my trapwork

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Bob
Why is it always the last piano of the day (6pm) that is 150 cents flat???

I'd rather have it be the last one than the first one...at least you don't have to call the rest of the day's customers to explain that you'll be delayed.

First client yesterday, Samick SG 50 with disk player apparatus. Supposedly tuning and one "sticky note." Turns out to be about a dozen tight back action flanges, which I repinned after removing the sostenuto rail. Only one flange screw fell into the pan that covers the underside mechanism, but I was able to remove it quickly with a magnet. Did make me sweat for a couple of minutes, though. Didn't get around to tuning it. Made an appointment for a few weeks down the road for that one.

Then it was 3 regulars: newish Baldwin Studio, a 40+ year old Yam G2, relatively new Schulze Pollman upright.

I also adjusted an una corda stop screw on a Steinway (but was ambushed by a few funky unisons and some voicing issues...), which I will revisit this morning.

New Pramberger: glued the leather pads on the una corda trap lever that had fallen off when delivered.

And just when I thought there would be no Kawai yesterday, I went out to look for a hanging damper on a K-2, but the problem had for some reason disappeared when it heard I was coming.

About 12 hours door to door.

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Had 7 scheduled but snow was getting heavy and its Friday so the last two at a little church will wait for next time. 248 Bald studio tuned up very sweetly. Wurly spinet pitch raise, Hamilton, old Bald K with a weak block and a GC1.

Yesterday was 9. Another more or less Baldwin day. Yammy G5, Acro, 5 Hamiltons, 2 Wurly spinet. 1 of the Hamiltons is in a HS and I was instructed to pick the best of 2 available. I chose the one without the mouse nest. Call me rash, but I went with my gut reaction.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I tuned a Kawai 506 (yuck)Raised 1/4 tone. (hehe, yep, another one!)
I tuned a Yammy C2 Disklavier. Raised pitch 1/2 tone. Very nice tuning piano!!!
I tuned an old Adam Schaaf upright built in 1906. Last tuned by me in 2001. Raised pitch 1/4 tone, reglued 6 ivories, replaced one missing one.
I tuned a Baldwin Acro., built in 1948. Last tuned in 1990. Raised 1/2 tone.
I tuned a Grinell console. Raised pitch 1/4 tone. Been tuning this piano for many years, tuned last summer. Had a bass string break during the pitch raise dagnabit.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Shopping and bocce schedules.

Semipro Tech
E
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
Only 2 today, as I knew the afternoon tuning would take a long time. I tuned a late '80s Kimball console this morning. Its first tuning EVER was by me 2 years ago...major, major pitch raise then, and again today...and it's still 1/4 step flat.

This afternoon, I tuned a gorgeous 7'6" (or so) 1895 Chickering grand with a PianoDisc system. Mahogany case, perfect ivories. Had to pull the really heavy keyboard and felt my back start to go "TWANG" as I was lifting the keyboard. Fortunately, that's all that happened. Adjusted a weak repetition spring and reconnected another. The wippens have straight, heavy metal flanges. It's a strange one to tune and it always takes me longer than most other pianos. It appears to have 4 separate pinblocks...one for each section...bass, tenor, treble, upper treble. Each section stays in tune with itself, but quite out of tune compared to the others.

Warm, "dreamy" tone when in tune.

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
4 appointments, but only one tuning:

touch up some unisons on a B, a little voicing
shape hammers and minor regulation a Mason B Symmetrigrand
Korean Knabe console...planned to tune, but too many flanges to repin, both wippen and hammer flanges, so that cost a little time, too. I hate graphite impregnated bushing cloth. One of the little buggers popped right out o' there as I very gently reamed it.
Tuned and voiced a Bohemia 125 upright. Nice piano. Kind of bright, but very full sound and a well-prepped Renner action.

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
1. A Henry F. Miller Aeolian spinet. The teaching studio needed another piano, and this was the winner.

2. A Hallet Davis Aeolian Spinet (more or less the same piano as the Miller but better build quality.) This one was 2 notes flat. I raised it to 45 cents flat and scheduled another tuning in 6 weeks. The customer just paid $300 for the piano. The 13 year old piano player wants to attend Julliard.

3. Yamaha GH-1 with player Raised 25 cents. The customer just bought it for only 4K.

4. Tuned a D at the University for tonight's Jazz concert.

Saturday will be a prep on another D for an International Piano Series Piano solo concert Sat night and Sunday master class. Sometime during the day I'll need to head to the store and tune 2. I'll be on hand for the concert and will probably attend Sunday's master class as well.

Page 6 of 106 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 105 106

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission