2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 1,978 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 341 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 340 341
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
wow Barb, I bet you know that pattern pretty well now!!

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
So, I had a lesson today and I had get a handle on 'Matrix'. Screwed up the rhythm so badly that it's back to the drawing board.

Remember that poster that said, "No Metronome and No Counting"....well that's my problem. I had to be reminded that Chick Corea is a DRUMMER smile

The consolation is that I got the notes right...

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee

thumb

The drawing board is a good place to visit. How else do we improve? wink

A Sudnow Method Fanatic
"Color tones, can't live without them"

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Hey Barb, loved your "I should Care" recording! Really nice!

And Jazzwee, thanks for the (5-1-9-5) tip! I've tried adding it into what I'm doing with some standard ballads - it works really well! I'm still a real newbie with the jazz and any/all tips I can glean from others are real eye-openers.

Think less - play more

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
CMohr, glad to know you're paying attention. There's a lot of these so I'm only noting the ones new to me. I'll make sure to be more specific next time.

The nice thing about these moveable shapes though is that you can play it on multiple chords so it can come automatically to a hand position. Handy for filling in. Just don't forget the basics: in the end, it's the chord tones that must dominate (1,3,5,7). So you should have mastered all your arpeggios and inversions thereof. smile

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Swingin' Barb

thumb

The drawing board is a good place to visit. How else do we improve? wink

I came really ready because I knew all the notes -- so I was overconfident. Busted my ego fast... But that's how it goes. I usually conquer the deficiency eventually and it seems like a little event later. Maybe that's why my teacher always focuses on a weakness. Never worries about things you already know to do. Always focusing on what seems the strongest weakness at any time.

In this case, I'm very poor at counting out the rhythm when reading the music. Well I hate reading music, period. And 'Matrix' is like reading Classical --- lots of notes.

A confession: Rather than count the rhythm, all these years, I just listen and copy the recording. Well I wasn't given that chance today. So I'm finally caught smile

My Jazz Blog

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Ah - back to counting. Easier said than done. wink

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
I was just learning a tune today and thought I would record it to see how it sounds. It has a few examples of the things I mentioned in my last posts, moving upper extensions etc
Anyway, here it is... I got it bad and that ain't good

http://www.divshare.com/download/10248758-954

I find I learn a real lot through recording and then listening back to find out which bits work and which don't, and where the bad bits are. It always amazes me how obvious this is listening back and how easy to miss when playing.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
That's a beautiful tune Dave thumb Is that your idea of 'bad'? grin Doesn't look like you have far to go.

I really liked your solo lines. Very nice melodic snippets there. I was trying to look for those moving upper extensions but I may have heard it only once. Maybe you can point it out.

BTW - these types of tunes are hard for me because the bass player isn't setting time (no quarter note pulse) so I couldn't catch the groove from the Rhythm section.

It's great that you posted stuff that's unfinished. That's really in the spirit of this thread. I would really be interested to hear how you progress with this.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Rhythm section? Wasn't that computer midi stuff? If not, you'd better get that drummer some brush lessons, and new cymbals. It's pretty hard to program swing (unless you have Finale).

Beeboss, you've got some great stuff happening there. I like the inner voice falling lines (13, b13, 9 stuff). Nice extensions at the end of the B section, too.

So when you are soloing, I notice that your left hand seems to play lots of closed voicings, ie the comp is only the left hand and the solo is completely the RH. Was that just my perception or do you also do two hand voicings while soloing?

I'm currently trying to think of myself as having three hands rather than two. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Sceptical, I just assumed it was an Aeborsold Play-Along but the Rhythm was too complex for a normal person using Aeborsold. I tried counting to it and there were such huge gaps with no bass or drum.

Re: Three hands -- I was taught to do that on the Head. The fuller the sound the better. But when soloing in a combo, to not get in the way of the RH, leave the LH sparse. In fact, my teacher would play the entire tune without a LH, striving to sound like a horn player.

Solo piano and ballads, you've got more leeway with two hands and it's really necessary.

When I first learned Jazz, my first teacher just told me to do Rootless LH for everything. What a mistake. In my AL Thread, I teach two handed voicings before I get into rootless.

Now I listen to Brad Mehldau and I really hear three hands! Even when soloing. He's got those pair of thumbs busy on Ostinatos smile

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sceptical, I just assumed it was an Aeborsold Play-Along but the Rhythm was too complex for a normal person using Aeborsold. I tried counting to it and there were such huge gaps with no bass or drum.

I thought it was something homespun myself. Beeboss will tell soon...

Re: Three hands -- I was taught to do that on the Head. The fuller the sound the better. But when soloing in a combo, to not get in the way of the RH, leave the LH sparse. In fact, my teacher would play the entire tune without a LH, striving to sound like a horn player.

Now this is what I'm trying to avoid. We aren't horn players. I've played as one long enough now and am getting tired of letting most of my fingers just sit there and be idle. I'm not saying that there isn't a time and place for fast runs, but I think in my case I'm starting to prefer soloing with fingers 345 and letting 1 and 2 on the RH have their own voice with the LH 1. We'll see if I get very far with that.

When I first learned Jazz, my first teacher just told me to do Rootless LH for everything. What a mistake. In my AL Thread, I teach two handed voicings before I get into rootless.

Mistake? Why? Did it make it harder to learn how the chords worked or just make it sound odd when playing solo piano?

Now I listen to Brad Mehldau and I really hear three hands! Even when soloing. He's got those pair of thumbs busy on Ostinatos smile

Ya, there is that thing, but I'm thinking more of how the 1 and 2 on both hands have the inner voice, and inner lines and leaving the outer hands to do more work. Also, if I get too comfortable my hands tend to shrink to voicings that may only span a 7th, whereas if I challenge myself to open up the occassional voicing I find a cleaner more spacious sound that I hear from guitarists and string sections.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
sceptical, my teacher is a very strong stylist (and he's known for that) and teaches the concept that one should "play piano like a horn". BTW - if you're wondering where this concept came from, it was from Madame Chaloff, who taught, among others: Keith Jarrett, Herbie Hancock, Kenny Werner, etc.

So his focus is to really concentrate on creating a recognizable tone and well thought out and VERY LEGATO lines. Certainly I can hear this applied by the above players. Combined with this is that every note has intent and purpose and not from random noodling.

Now this is not to say that one is to solo with a single hand, since you can play faster lines combining two hands. But as far as comping is concerned, Brad Melhdau's thumb actions aside, certainly it precludes upper register comping which would interfer with the stronger volume of the solo lines right?

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
But let's make sure we distinguish here from Comping Voicings vs. Soloing. The best voicings of course are two-handed.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

So his focus is to really concentrate on creating a recognizable tone and well thought out and VERY LEGATO lines. Certainly I can hear this applied by the above players. Combined with this is that every note has intent and purpose and not from random noodling.

No, random noodling is bad. Agreed. And I also agree about the legato quality of horn playing. But I'm not talking about that. See below.

Now this is not to say that one is to solo with a single hand, since you can play faster lines combining two hands. But as far as comping is concerned, Brad Melhdau's thumb actions aside, certainly it precludes upper register comping which would interfer with the stronger volume of the solo lines right?

This I'm not so sure about. Yes, at times you want a clear separation, but what I'm starting to explore is the idea of having the solo line not be so apart from the rest of the comping. When comping with horn players and singers you'll mostly be playing in the same range as them, and sometimes above, sometimes below. So I'm trying to have the hands wider now, and include the solo line at the top, but much closer to the rest of the voices. This also forces me to think about the voicings as individual parts, rather than a chord. It also slows me down so I don't fire off the rapid scales and patterns that I've used for a bit too long. Who knows if what I'm suggesting will work for anyone (me included), but I can't see the harm in trying it. I'm sure I'm not the only one to think this way. I just haven't listened to enough players to find any examples of what I'm talking about exactly. We'll see.

Again, I'll try to post an example of what I'm trying these days.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Sounds like you're talking more of counterpoint...

I don't know if this is connected but another poster here, Dave Solazzo, and I have this long term project and that is to solo with two hands. So when I'm practicing to play like this (which is very hard due to my much weaker left hand), I have to really think of the lines much differently.

Now my teacher is aware that I'm working on this and this doesn't conflict necessarily with the 'horn' concept although obviously one now has to think of a 'horn section'.

I've tried posting attempts at this a few times but the problem is that my LH is technically deficient. So everyday, I've been doing more with it, playing solos with just the LH alone.

Anyway, when the two hands are combined to create a solo, you really do stop thinking of chords (though harmony though is still clear in my head).

I really want to perfect this style. It's difficult to be 'swingy' doing this because there tends to be downbeat synchronization between the hands, I've noticed.

If I tried this again now, I would find myself putting the LH in a more supporting role. I'm not near a point where the two hands can be equal. However, I'm happy to say, that I can now play eighth note lines with the LH. That's a major improvement from the previous quarter notes it used to play (bass lines).

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
The backing track was midi drums with me playing bass, just a one take job so its rough. I try to do my own backings rather than aebersold, that way I get to play the tunes I want in the key I want at the speed I want with the changes I want.
It is hard to follow the time in this one, probably why its a bit loose at times. I quite like that though.
Not sure how I will progress with it as I expect I will pactice a different tune today.Maybe I will post another.

Sceptical, yes you are right that my LH is playing mostly closed voicings, I don't often do much block chord stuff, at least not in melodic improvisation mode. I would use fuller voicings if playing solo piano though. I find it hard to play anything interesting with block chords.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
beeboss, that is the limitation of aebersold. Often it's too slow or sometimes some tune is styled as Bossa when I want swing. I tried Band-in-the-Box with RealDrums so that was helpful at one point. But the Bass sucked so now I hardly ever do anything other than with a metronome. Just too much work sometimes.

It's good you can make your own.

It's really great to see everyone posting learning stages. We all get to learn together. By all means, post whatever new thing you're practicing.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
My next phase is Rhythmic practice using Matrix as the base. I think it gives a fresh point of view when I sing the Matrix solo at half time or slower just from the transcription. Nuances I think I hear at 250bpm sound much different when played at 125bpm.

This is really helping me listen rhythmically as well. Now I see why my teacher was focused on my ability to read the Rhythm accurately. There's other things to learn here related to rhythmic displacement.

This truly is such advanced material and Chick's genius is just mind boggling. To think that this was being created on the fly is just inconceivable. It does take some deep digging though to appreciate this genius. It isn't that obvious at first glance.

As a side effect to playing Matrix, my dexterity and technique have improved significantly too. It seems like I overcame another layer of tension and speed picked up. Even indirectly, it's already impacted my solos and I haven't tried to memorize licks or anything. I just observe his note choices against the underlying harmony (or more difficult to ascertain --- his implied harmony).

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Jazzwee, I might have missed this part, but did you transcribe Matrix, or where did you get it from?

Page 6 of 341 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission