2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, 11 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
OP Offline
O
94 years is a blessed age, but it made me a bit sad too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8SOhPE6XsU&fmt=18

Rolf

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I just read that on his website after a friend mentioned it to me. Rest in peace, Mr. Wild.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I was lucky enough to hear him 4 or 5 times. The earliest was his famous all transcription recital at Carnegie Hall and the most recent was his last recital at the Mannes Keyboard Festival. I remember he gave Alicia de Larocha a copy of his newly written Mexican Hat Dance transcription while she was sitting on a bench outside the concert hall.

A great life in music and a major pianist of the 20th century.

Rest in Peace

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/23/10 06:11 PM.
W
W
frown

I am listening to this recording (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG6Y-6cWVno&feature=related) right now in memory of Mr. Wild. Rest in peace. You will be greatly missed.

K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
I remember hearing Earl Wild play 3 concerts in Chicago in honor of the 100th anniversary of Liszt's death back in 1986. They were entitled Liszt the Poet, Liszt the Virtuoso, and Liszt the transcriber. Absolutely incredible. This is a sad day.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
This sad news. frown

I really love his mastery of Liszt. He will be surely missed.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
What a great artist and amazing man.

He was here in Amsterdam a couple of years ago accompanied by his husband Michael for an incredible concert in the Concertgebouw and a number of well attended social functions. His age was starting to impact his abilities a bit and there was a small memory lapse but it was still one of the most inspiring and talked about highlights of the season.

May he rest in peace and his music live on for many, many years.

J
J
Another great pianist has passed on. So sad, but at 94, he gave so much to the world. May he have peace. I wish Michael condolences. Jim

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I love his set of the Rachmaninov concertos with Horenstein.The recording of the 3rd would be one of my desert island discs.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Goodnight, dearest. I'm so upset, I cannot put any cogent thoughts together right now. Earl, I loved you dearly, I always wanted to meet you, such awesome talent, the greatest Gershwin interpreter, ever.

Earl Wild was my introduction to Gershwin. I owe so much to him, and late as it is, I'm going to listen to him playing Gershwin.

Edit: just put the Gershwin CD on. Why am I crying so much? frown

Jason
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
The world is a poorer place but I am thankful for the joy that he brought to me. I'm going to queue up his Rachmaninov 3rd followed by the Chopin Nocturnes and mourn his loss.

Greg
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I heard Earl at the Kennedy Center in 1986 -- part of the same Liszt anniversary tour that Keith caught in Chicago. What really stood out was how he could take some of the most challenging pieces Liszt wrote and dash them off with total ease and complete command -- I don't think he broke a sweat the whole afternoon. I was also lucky enough to hear him play his 80th birthday recital at Carnegie Hall. It was all marvelous, but three things will always stand out in my memory: his performances of his own arrangement of Handel's "Harmonious Blacksmith" and Paul Pabst's transcription of Tchaikovsky's "Sleeping Beauty" music, and the moment at the end when Marilyn Horne stood up in her box and led the hall in a rousing chorus of Happy Birthday.

One last note. I've spent many hours over the years practicing and playing Wild's transcriptions (epsecially his Gershwin material), which I consider to be second only to Rachmininoff's as perfect examples of this neglected art form. Except for Hamelin and Hough, he may have been the last accomplished practitioner of this art. He was truly an American original, and the world will be a poorer place without him. RIP.

Phil Bjorlo
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
His recordings rank among my earliest piano influence.

You will be missed. RIP.

frown

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
BB Player, Emanuel, Gerg: +1! smokin

I am going through the Gershwin Concerto for the 5th time. I just cannot believe what has happened in my life, I will get no sleep this evening.

Without Earl Wild, I'm not worth sh*t. This is a terrible loss.

Jason
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Rest in peace. Thank you for the joy and beauty you have given all of us.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Emanuel Ravelli
I heard Earl at the Kennedy Center in 1986 -- part of the same Liszt anniversary tour that Keith caught in Chicago. What really stood out was how he could take some of the most challenging pieces Liszt wrote and dash them off with total ease and complete command -- I don't think he broke a sweat the whole afternoon. I was also lucky enough to hear him play his 80th birthday recital at Carnegie Hall. It was all marvelous, but three things will always stand out in my memory: his performances of his own arrangement of Handel's "Harmonious Blacksmith" and Paul Pabst's transcription of Tchaikovsky's "Sleeping Beauty" music, and the moment at the end when Marilyn Horne stood up in her box and led the hall in a rousing chorus of Happy Birthday.

One last note. I've spent many hours over the years practicing and playing Wild's transcriptions (epsecially his Gershwin material), which I consider to be second only to Rachmininoff's as perfect examples of this neglected art form. Except for Hamelin and Hough, he may have been the last accomplished practitioner of this art. He was truly an American original, and the world will be a poorer place without him. RIP.

My uncle Ron saw the same program, and more recently saw him again in recital. He had the opportunity to speak with the artist afterwards, and ended up with a mini Master's class from him. He said it was quite the experience because he played the Liszt like he was playing a kid's piece. He had such a calm demeanor about him at the piano, which made all of his performances look so easy. This is what truely makes a good artist, and he'll definitely be sadly missed.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Surely a sad day for the music world. frown

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
When I first read this I was sad. On second thought I realized that we should be celebrating his life and all that he shared with us. He was truly a great musician and inspiration.

I watched an interview recently (was it youtube or tv???) with he and a conductor. During it he also played. It was enjoyable to see him 'live'.

Although I have always known of him, it was only a year ago that KK, TT, and I attended an Eric Himy concert where Mr. Himy played some Earl Wild arrangements, and I purchased his Gershwin CD which includes more Gershwin/Wild pieces. It inspired me.

A month ago I started working on THE MAN I LOVE, studying it via Skype with concert artist Jeffery Biegel. My first delve into cocktail music! It is harder than the 6 pages seem but I am enjoying the challenge and learning more about Earl Wild arrangements.

I have particularly been enjoying Mr. Wild's talents through that piece and odd as it may seem, have felt a connection with him.

Here he is on youtube playing it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKBYbn1bcL4

There are many more Youtube Earl Wild postings for your pleasure.

RIP - Your talents are appreciated

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
I've spent the day listening to my collection of Earl Wild CD's including the Chopin Nocturnes, Ballades and Scherzi, the Rachmaninov Concerti with Horenstein among many others. Strangely enough, I don't have Wild's performance of the Gershwin concerto but given Jason's passion for it I intend to remedy that.

The thing that I've found most striking in listening to his playing for hours is the sheer elegance of his artistry. He had technique to burn as do a number of other virtuosi but the question is: given that technique what do you do with it? In Wild's case there is a beauty, a flow and (I'll say it again) an elegance to his playing that makes you stop short and listen. I have to admit it was very emotional listening to Rachmaninov's Op. 14, No. 8 "Do not grieve".

I think Lilylady said it well: we should be celebrating his life and that's what I spent the day doing. As with all of the greats, the artistry will outlive the artist.

Greg
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
frown His Gershwin arrangements and Moszkowski are some of the reasons I wanted to learn piano in the first place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission