2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 341 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 340 341
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by scepticalforumguy
And, I've removed Georgia because it really wasn't something I wanted up there for too long, especially when people started posting their favorite Youtube versions which were meant as performances.

I'll post something again, and I hope others do too. But I was assuming this thread was all about learning and sharing that process. So in that spirit, I will continue to post things in progress looking for tips from others.

I hope you reconsider this. For one we're anonymous here. Second, as we progress from our learning stages we post better things. Others can learn when they see where we've come from and where we end up. I sounded pretty bad two years ago. I'm better now. So others can compare and see what they can expect. Obviously we have tunes we can play better because we've done it over and over. But in learning something new, everyone has to start somewhere.

Anyway, my attitude is that I stopped caring. Every year, I get better and the old criticisms bounce off my new armor of growing skill. What we do here isn't easy and not learned overnight.

As we learn and fail sometmes, others learn with us. So I vote we leave our egos at the door and keep ourselves open here.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oh hey, I'm all for leaving my ego at the door I think. I just don't want those with the mucky boots to step on mine while they trample past. wink

But ya, I'll reconsider. I'm planning on posting some other stuff anyways, so...

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Well for one, I posted Dolphin Dance after 1 take, and clearly I was kind of renewing my memory of the changes. So a lot of it was off time. I'll repost it when I get a chance. But you don't see me rushing to fix it wink

Just don't reveal your real name, Keith...err I mean Sceptical, and you'll be fine. Although, at your concerts, please stop making those vocalizing sounds as it's distracting. wink

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Here's my Augmented triad exercise applied to 'All the Things You Are'. I'm basically arpeggiating an Augmented triad everytime I encounter a ii-V in the tune.

http://www.box.net/shared/8tith2fde0

I apologize for the recording quality. Instead of the H4 recording via Line, it recorded using the Microphone (forgot to reset the source) and unfortunately, I already deleted the recording.

Augmented triads are interesting because like diminished chords they are symmetrical. So this is an example of 'shape' based playing. My fingers remain in a basic shape at a ii-V.

In ii chords, the augmented triad ends at the b3 of the chord, in V chords, it ends on the root.

Because the sound is distinctive, it obviously cannot be overused.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I might also shoot for recording Beeboss's Diminished Cycle triads on Dominants. But I need more practice on that.

My Jazz Blog

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Interesting sounds wee... I tend to use the augmented triad as a chord rather than arpeggio. Was trying out some Major/minor sounds today. Found this chord that I really liked, C Eb G B / F Bb D , best used as a C-7th chord but with the b7 and 7 together, adds some spice to it.

I was working on some melodies where your switch from major to minor and back, basically all 12 tones can be used, but you are working from a tonal centre. I wish I could post some stuff up, as soon as I am able to record I will.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I like you way you incorporate the 'excercise' into the music, how you are using the whole tone idea to guide your improvisation rather than just playing a pattern over the changes.
I use this idea a lot in practice, especially over playalongs, basically improvising but using a restricted range of ideas to see what I can get out of them.
It works with any idea from the most specific to the most vague, but ones I use a lot are...
- intervals (using lots of 4ths for example)
- a rhythmic pattern (maybe a group of 5 1/8 notes)
- a shape of phrase (going up for 2 bars and then down for 1 bar)
- a dynamic (start a phrase pp and then up to ff and back)
-using large leaps of at least more than an octave
- doing a whole sequence within the range of a 5th
etc the possible list is endless. It's a great way of building up a store of approaches that I wouldn't normally use.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi All,

I've been snooping here on and off a bit. I liked your little exercise, Jazzwee. This is a cool thread.

beeboss -- I love your suggestion to take little patterns and play over the playalongs. So, I went a step further and listened to some music on Pandora to see if something would sound interesting.

It took only a minute listening to Eric Reed improvising to "I Should Care". I picked out a couple of little ideas of his and played along with my Jamey Aebersold 2-5-1 backing track.

Below are the results with a few little bloopers included. grin

http://www.box.net/shared/74uevai4u6

After doing it this way, then, I add the left hand rootless voicings and play the pattern with Band in a Box at a much slower tempo. The left hand addition is a killer for now. I won't be posting left hand for a while. wink

Barb

A Sudnow Method Fanatic
"Color tones, can't live without them"

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Beeboss, you got what I was doing exactly. Although I said I was arpeggiating, I don't want to imply that this was written out and I was doing some Chopin Etude. This is all improvisation. The concept is limiting the note choices. From the basic Augmented Triad pattern, there are some other scalar choices that allow me to alter the melody.

So hopefully doing these exercises expands my vocabulary. The specific thing that I'm training myself to do is intervallic playing, which in my mind is raising tension by moving in unpredictable intervals. Regular Bebop is typically heavy in stepwise and chromatic encirclement moves and can be predictable. Mixing intervallic playing adds that little modern touch.

Fourths are a particularly good for an intervallic pattern. As I'm learning more, it seems like you can make unusual sounds too if you consciously alter where you start your quartal pattern. I'm not going to post an exercise of this since I already practiced this before.

Now I can't say that the diminished cycle triads on dominants are automatic to my fingers yet so I'll be doing some more work on that.

Before I did this exercise, I understood Augmented triads in theory but didn't sufficiently practice it so I can apply it on anything on the fly. Now I think I can.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Swingin' Barb
Hi All,

I've been snooping here on and off a bit. I liked your little exercise, Jazzwee. This is a cool thread.

beeboss -- I love your suggestion to take little patterns and play over the playalongs. So, I went a step further and listened to some music on Pandora to see if something would sound interesting.

It took only a minute listening to Eric Reed improvising to "I Should Care". I picked out a couple of little ideas of his and played along with my Jamey Aebersold 2-5-1 backing track.

After doing it this way, then, I add the left hand rootless voicings and play the pattern with Band in a Box at a much slower tempo. The left hand addition is a killer for now. I won't be posting left hand for a while. wink

Barb

Cool Barb! Making good progress!

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Wizard of Oz
Interesting sounds wee... I tend to use the augmented triad as a chord rather than arpeggio. Was trying out some Major/minor sounds today. Found this chord that I really liked, C Eb G B / F Bb D , best used as a C-7th chord but with the b7 and 7 together, adds some spice to it.

I was working on some melodies where your switch from major to minor and back, basically all 12 tones can be used, but you are working from a tonal centre. I wish I could post some stuff up, as soon as I am able to record I will.

Hey -- that's like My Funny Valentine smile

My Jazz Blog

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee
Cool Barb! Making good progress!

Thanks, Jazzwee. The Aebersold tracks are helping me to improvise with the ballads in my repertoire. I mix back and forth a couple of measures of melody, then some improvisation. I am getting braver about all this. smile

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

Hi Barb, yes thats the way to do it. It is so easy to find an idea to try out, and if you do a few new ones every day pretty soon you have a large pool of ideas to dip into at any moment. Hopefully it can make practicing more interesting as well.
Often when I listen to music I try to remember ideas which I like the sound of to experiment with later.

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by jazzwee
Originally Posted by Wizard of Oz

Hey -- that's like My Funny Valentine smile

hey Wee, I was thinking more like from C major to C minor, parallel. Valentine is from C - to Eb major, which basically is the same key, just relative.

Have you heard of Only the Lonely by Frank Sinatra? Jarrett did a nice cover of it. That's a tune where the melody has that shift.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Wiz, no the chords of Funny valentine starts with Cmin/maj7 | Cm7 | Cm6 | AbMaj7 | ...

It's probably the most remembered Cmin/maj tune...

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Today I was cranking on Matrix again, getting it to tempo. I was exhausted after practice! The good news is that with the finger breaking stuff on this fast tune, you really have to focus on relaxation or you cannot play it. I'm not trying to overstress myself so I'm just doing 200bpm, which is fast enough to get a gist of the tempo. But the real tune is much faster. Maybe 240bpm. I didn't really time it.

It's not really the tempo that's the problem so much as I can play it faster, but I cannot remember the lines that fast. I end up pausing trying to remember where I am. And gosh no, I will not sight read this sucker. I have it committed to memory.

Tomorrow I play this in front of my teacher so we'll see.

As I worked on Matrix, I noticed another symmetrical Chick pattern that I was able to practice...

In the key of C:
Ascending:
G C D G (5 1 9 5 )

The nice thing about this pattern is that it works on just about every chord other than half-diminished. So it requires no thought to sneak into a line. Being symmetrical, it is really easy to remember. Chick arpeggiates this down then up again.

Now although it seems like a non-interesting pattern because of the chord tones, it's actually a stack of 2 fourths a step apart. So when played linearly it gives a vague tonality.

My Jazz Blog

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T

Nice work Barb! thumb You got in the swing there!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hey -- thanks TLT. I am having fun taking baby steps!

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Swingin' Barb - I'm glad that, since I'm breaking my vow to stay off PW until I get work done, that I stopped in here. Great recording! I listened a couple of times thru - you are getting to be a pro -

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jotur
I listened a couple of times thru - you are getting to be a pro - Cathy

Cathy - You are sweet! But, I am trying not to laugh too hysterically. Pro is not quite the right word here. grin Let's just say I am getting to be a lot braver about posting this sort of stuff.

Barb

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

Page 5 of 341 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission