2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
51 registered members (Chouca, Candywoman, David B, Anglagard44, CyberGene, Animisha, Darkwasp, aphexdisklavier, 11 invisible), 430 guests, and 382 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Pramberger JP-185 serial #J0021090 anyone have any info? #1350670 01/15/10 06:53 PM
T
twin piano mom Offline OP
OP Offline
T
OK....I am back again......after some research we bought this piano, and gave up on the astin-weight....and I am wondering if I made a good decision. We had our piano instructor check it out and she loved it. She said that if we didn't buy it, she would. It is a Pramberger JP-185 6'1" piano in immaculate condition. It is beautiful with excellent touch and tone. I got to researching it on the forum and found that Samick is now making pramberger grand pianos....I am pretty sure this is Young Chang but wanted to know for sure. I also wanted to know if it was made in Korea (which I thought it was) not china....and wether it was Samick or not. He said that he has owned it for around five years. I can't find any info on serial numbers for these pianos and have no idea when it was manufactured or for sure by whom. There is not a sticker that says made in Korea that I read will indicate that it was made there. Does that mean it was made in China... and how do you know? I would love any feedback, buying a piano now days is so confusing......It does have an insignia in the right hand corner that says young chang i think. Thanks for any input!

(ad int) Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
Re: Pramberger JP-185 serial #J0021090 anyone have any info? [Re: twin piano mom] #1350678 01/15/10 07:03 PM
J
juano Offline
J
Hi!! My name is Juan, from Buenos Aires, Argentina. I am trying to buy a piano and I have lots of doubts!! I have the opportunity to buy a Weber piano by YOUNG CHANG. (Besides there´s a GROTRIAN Steinweg and a Shiedmayer, baby grand to buy). I played all the pianos and I like so much the YOUNG CHANG piano. It sounds like a Kawai! but, I am afraid to buy it. I don´t know if it is a good purchase!! (and a good piano).
About Pramberger pianos, I read in french magazine PIANo and in internet that it is an excellent piano!!!!
The seller who is possibly selling me the piano (one of the more important sellers in my country), told me that Pramberger are excellent pianos. It is all I know about them!!!

Re: Pramberger JP-185 serial #J0021090 anyone have any info? [Re: juano] #1350703 01/15/10 07:48 PM
C
ChasT Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Twin Piano Mom,

First the disclaimer: I'm no "expert." I just read the posts here and look up stuff.

I pulled up the pianobuyer.com link on the right side of this page and read the brand review for Young Chang. Mr. Fine writes:

In 1995 Young Chang employed the services of Joseph Pramberger, a highly respected piano-design engineer who had spent much of his professional career as an engineer and manufacturing executive at Steinway & Sons, to evaluate its piano designs and make improvements. The pianos that resulted from this process were known as the Pramberger Signature Series. The company also produced a completely new line of premium pianos designed by Pramberger with maple inner rim (grands), upgraded hammers and soundboard material, Renner action parts (grands), and exotic veneers. These were called the Pramberger Platinum Series, and their fallboards read "Pramberger" instead of Young Chang.

When Mr. Pramberger died, in 2003, his family ended the relationship with Young Chang and moved to Samick. The pianos made by Samick were not the same design as those from Young Chang. Yours appears to be one of the Young Chang pianos. The things I've read about them here have been positive. I believe the piano was made in Korea.

Anyway, it has a good reputation and you, the girls, and their teacher all like it. I think you did very well.

Congratulations!

Charles

Re: Pramberger JP-185 serial #J0021090 anyone have any info? [Re: ChasT] #1350829 01/16/10 12:56 AM
Cy Shuster, RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It was apparently made in 2001 in Inchon, South Korea, by Young Chang. I've played some that I like; it is a better model.

Current condition is of course very important, but it was a good piano when new.

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
www.shusterpiano.com
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Director, PTG Norfolk 2016 Technical Institute
http://convention.ptg.org
Re: Pramberger JP-185 serial #J0021090 anyone have any info? [Re: Cy Shuster, RPT] #1350841 01/16/10 01:30 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks you guys for the input...esp. Charles for researching it for me! I think my mind is eased a little bit. I did get a box from the owner a few hours ago that had a polishing kit and a pamphlet inside for a 15 year transferrable warranty from Young chang.....I am pretty sure it is the Platinum series as it says that on the box. I think we made a good purchase as well. Our piano instructor has a Yamaha grand and she says she will trade me at anytime. She was impressed at how she could make the piano get both soft and loud and said that it had a very quick action. Again....I appreciate you wonderful people!

Re: Pramberger JP-185 serial #J0021090 anyone have any info [Re: twin piano mom] #1351425 01/16/10 11:18 PM
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
twin piano mom, I have a JP-185 from that era, serial number is very close. 21077. It is a lovely piano, and very well made. I'd rather have a C. Bechstein, but I didn't have an extra $50K to throw in. Mine sounds very good, and holds tune very, very well. What finish is it?

If it is a JP, it is the Platinum series and was made in Korea.

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
Re: Pramberger JP-185 serial #J0021090 anyone have any info [Re: mikhailoh] #1351587 01/17/10 02:40 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Micheal,
We just had it delivered today and it is beautiful. The person we bought it from said it was a rosewood finish, and it is a satin, not a gloss. I was told the wood finish is more expensive than the black, but I like the look of the black. I am more in love with the piano the more I look at it and I am very impressed with the sound. The piano movers told us to wait 5 days to have it tuned, but someone else told me to wait 2 weeks. Do you know what is the best time frame to wait for a tuning?

Re: Pramberger JP-185 serial #J0021090 anyone have any info [Re: twin piano mom] #1351770 01/17/10 10:21 AM
C
ChasT Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Pictures!!! We need pictures! It sounds beautiful.

Yes, wood finishes normally cost more than black.

Give the piano a while to acclimate to its new home before you have it tuned. If it sounds good now, I'd give it a month or so. I waited about 6 weeks before I had mine tuned.

So, are the girls still happy?

Charles

Re: Pramberger JP-185 serial #J0021090 anyone have any info [Re: ChasT] #1353736 01/19/10 11:40 PM
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Well that's nice. Mine is satin rosewood as well!

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
Re: Pramberger JP-185 serial #J0021090 anyone have any info [Re: mikhailoh] #1353787 01/20/10 12:53 AM
T
OP Offline
T
My girls are in heaven and since 3 of my 5 children play piano, we have frequent fights over it right now I am sure the newness will wear off eventually, Until then, I am sure I'll have plenty of music to listen to. I will have to post some pictures, it really is amazing that this piano is 5-6 years old. It seriously looks brand new!

Re: Pramberger JP-185 serial #J0021090 anyone have any info [Re: twin piano mom] #2630727 04/06/17 03:08 PM
Z
zyndurai Offline
Z
How has that piano worked out for you? I'm thinking about picking one up used.

Re: Pramberger JP-185 serial #J0021090 anyone have any info [Re: twin piano mom] #2630755 04/06/17 04:39 PM
D
Duke of Dunning Offline
D
So "mom" has not posted here in over 7 years. Doubt you will get a response. Why don't you start a new thread and describe the piano you want to buy.

Baldwin SF-10
Petrof III
Chickering Console (1950s)
Associate Member PTG (Chicago chapter)

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
World Piano Day livestream
by Tyrone Slothrop - 03/28/20 12:42 PM
YouTube : DeutscheGrammophe
by Pianoperformance - 03/28/20 11:12 AM
Piano meetup pandemic recital
by KevinM - 03/28/20 11:06 AM
Stephen Hough and Covid 19
by gooddog - 03/28/20 09:54 AM
Rust spots on strings
by Deltajockey - 03/28/20 08:30 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,744
Posts2,939,650
Members96,385
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission