2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
65 members (Animisha, Beowulf, blueviewlaguna., b4xter, anotherscott, AcousticAndre, Abdol, 12 invisible), 522 guests, and 354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 50 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 49 50
Re: New stage pianos from Yamaha!
Melodialworks Music #1352946 01/18/10 09:39 PM
W
W
Originally Posted by Melodialworks Music
Originally Posted by Dr Popper
CP 5 demo by none other then BAD MISTER himself

I thought it was a rather uninspiring demo. He didn't seem very comfortable with the instrument. Where's Bert? We need Bert! We need excitement, energy!

I certainly felt that Phil at least played the piano, unlike the CP1 Demo where you were lucky if they played a dozen notes.
Clyde

DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, etc.
wildpaws #1352977 01/18/10 10:12 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm hearing that the NW Stage action is largely the same as NW (ie. plastic keys with pieces of wood attached to either side), yet without grade-weighted hammers.

Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Kawai James #1353007 01/18/10 10:54 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Nah its more like the keys on one of the top line Clavinova's its a fantastic action actually.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
Melodialworks Music #1353008 01/18/10 10:57 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D

I thought it was a rather uninspiring demo. He didn't seem very comfortable with the instrument. Where's Bert? We need Bert! We need excitement, energy!

What's the actual point of posting a video recorded using the video cameras mic? I don't get it? How does this piano actually sound? No clue, based on this (and many other) videos.

Pa-leze, SOMEONE record from the audio outputs. Otherwise, its like teasing from a cheap hooker. (Not sure if I would want to dabble there, or not . . . )

He'd been there all day ...he was tired.

But it WAS Phil ... not as entertaining as Bert but 10 times the player.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
Dr Popper #1353009 01/18/10 11:02 PM
Nah its more like the keys on one of the top line Clavinova's...

Yes, that's what I mean. NH (as found on the CLP-370/CLP-380) is essentially GH3 with pieces of wood attached to the sides of the keys.

Can you confirm whether or not the action uses grade-weighted hammers?

Cheers,
James
x

Rille Stark #1353112 01/19/10 02:18 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Richard Stark
"Spectral Component Modeling" sounds like an interesting technical term... cool

From a Yamaha Professional called Athan at the Music Player forum:

Originally Posted by dewster
They won't tell us so we end up speculating. That was a very confusing issue, even Yamaha's people couldn't communicate it very clearly.

Sorry, thought the post last week was pretty clear , but it WAS 6 am on the second day of NAMM

Spectral Component Modeling - Spectral Components Modeling is somewhat of a play on words. If you look at the diagrams in the CP Series brochure, you can see the different component blocks - The piano type, the preamp type , the VCM modulation effect, the power amp compressor block and reverb block. So one meaning of the Component Modeling is that we modeled different components of the signal chain.

At Yamaha when we use the term modeling we mean an actual mathematical model of a process or instrument. The VL1, VL70M and Virtual Circuit Modeling are all examples of Yamaha modeling and actually the same engineer who developed those models developed the CP series modeling. So the VCM effects, Preamps, Power Amp. Compressors, and speaker simulation are all models.

The CP1 has three different Piano Types (Acoustic, Electric and Synthesizer) each with a different core tone generation system. We selected the technologies that we felt were the best sounding available for that sound.

Acoustic Piano Type -Samples with some components of the piano itself modeled like hammer stiffness and sound board resonance and also a modeled mic preamp.

Electric Piano Type - This is the other part of the meaning of Spectral Component Modeling. We use spectral components of the sound for the electric piano models. Rather than multi-velocity layers of samples, SCM for the electric piano uses granular spectral parametric data so every nuance of the player’s touch is translated into expressive tone. There is nothing that is at all like what is normal referred to as a sample in the core ounds of the electric pianos. We did record many different vintage EPs to get information for the models , but there are no split points ot velocity switches or anything that is a " waveform".

However we do have multiple technologies available in the CP1. So for example some one commented that they did not think the electric pianos had note offs- actually they do. We didn't model the note offs as they do not have different characterisitics based on how hard you play. We just used sampled note offs.

Synthesizer Piano Type - In the CP1, it is real FM. Period. There are 4 of the most popular DX7 EP algorithms. On the VCM effects block there is a model of the TX816 chorus. There is a separate DSP chip to do the calculations necessary for FM.

Yamaha (and other companies) have done products with multiple synthesis methods before.

The CP5 does not have the mic preamp Models ( which accounts for the difference in the number of acoustic pianos listed in the brochure- there are 2 band mic preamps and a 3 band mic preamps in the CP1 and these are listed as different acoustic piano types) , the extra DSP for FM and of course the design elements and price are different.

The CP50 has one acoustic piano the CFIII and one tine model, the 75 and both reed models ( 69 and the 77). n

You can gleen all this information from either the CP Series catalog or the Illustrated Guide. They are available here. CP1 Resources Page

Anyway, we just try to provide the information we have in as clear a way as possible and stay away from opinions or value judgements.

It will be up to you to play the new CP Series and make up your own mind about it.

Hope that helps !

dewster #1353119 01/19/10 02:23 AM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5
Dave Ferris #1353122 01/19/10 02:35 AM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris

Hobbyists and hacks of the world unite @ pianoworld.com

Geeze..... careful with that axe Eugene ....

Dr Popper #1353138 01/19/10 03:01 AM
Richard Stark, many thanks for pasting Athan's post - I think he explains SCM very clearly, without going into too much technical detail.

Cheers,
James
x

Dr Popper #1353175 01/19/10 05:27 AM
box Offline

Not surprising. mr. dewster's antics over there have not exactly made pianoworld look good. He's been moderated a bit now, so hopefully the CP thread can get back on track.

box #1353192 01/19/10 06:49 AM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by box

Not surprising. mr. dewster's antics over there have not exactly made pianoworld look good. He's been moderated a bit now, so hopefully the CP thread can get back on track.

They just don't know him like we do ... if you accept from the outset that he's obsessed he's as lovable as a new puppy wink

Dr Popper #1353194 01/19/10 06:53 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
They just don't know him like we do ... if you accept from the outset that he's obsessed he's as lovable as a new puppy wink

As long as there's newspaper on the floor. wink

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
Kawai James #1353208 01/19/10 08:02 AM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by KAWAI James
Richard Stark, many thanks for pasting Athan's post - I think he explains SCM very clearly, without going into too much technical detail.

Cheers,
James
x

+1

theJourney #1353381 01/19/10 01:26 PM
M
M
More info from Athan in the other forum about the DX7 sounds:

The biggest difference between the CP1 and a DX7 is not in the digital domain, but rather in the quality of the D/A (digital to analog) convertors. The FM algorithms are the same as in the DX, but it sounds more like an FS1r in the output because D/A technology has come along way in the last 20 years. To be clear, there is no FM programming available. It is just 4 EP algorithms with some simple parameters like attack and release

And about the CP1 missing features compared to the CP5:

It is definitely not typical that the flagship has less features than the other products in the line. But then again a samurai sword doesn't have a bottle opener on it. :rolleyes

For a majority of people, the CP5 is going to have the best feature set for their needs and budget. Again if you read the threads here people have confirmed that the keyboard action and core sounds are the same between the CP1 and CP5. The CP1 is a design statement and you probably have to see it in person to really appreciate it.

Dr Popper #1353666 01/19/10 09:48 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

What's the actual point of posting a video recorded using the video cameras mic? I don't get it? How does this piano actually sound? No clue, based on this (and many other) videos.

He'd been there all day ...he was tired.

But it WAS Phil ... not as entertaining as Bert but 10 times the player.

OK. I agree. He was tired. He's a great player and musician. However, it was uninspiring at least to me, and the sound quality was terrible. I'd really like to see / hear someone that is passionate about this instrument, playing it so that we can hear the quality. That's all.

It's like my music. If I posted crappy examples, I wouldn't exactly get a lot of folks interested in buying it, would I? (Trust me - it really sounds better than what I've posted).

Yamaha apparently spent 5 years developing the CP1. Is it too much to ask for some quality demos?

Apparently it is.

Then the typical response is going to be "you've got to play it". I agree with this BUT, the only stores (at least in my area) that will bring it in are big box, loud, noisy (think guitar heads a few feet away). It will be hooked up to crappy monitors, so far apart that you're really listening to one channel of the stereo.

I'm supposed to evaluate the keyboard under these circumstances? Well, I can get something of an idea, but really I'd like a whole bunch of CD quality demos as well. So I can listen, in the quiet of my studio, through my monitors.

Lawrence

Melodialworks Music #1353691 01/19/10 10:13 PM
Lawrence, I'm sure Yamaha will put out some excellent demos in due course.

Cheers,
James
x

Melodialworks Music #1353768 01/20/10 12:21 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Shaky video with crap audio must be some kind of NAMM tradition. A little work on the presentation here would go a long way.

Yamaha apparently spent 5 years developing the CP1.

Wow, where did you hear that? Not that I don't believe it.

Then the typical response is going to be "you've got to play it". I agree with this BUT, the only stores (at least in my area) that will bring it in are big box, loud, noisy (think guitar heads a few feet away). It will be hooked up to crappy monitors, so far apart that you're really listening to one channel of the stereo.

That's why I was pushing them so hard to give any technical info at all (and caught holy heck over it - my fault for not being more tactful, and for not knowing I was walking into more of a club than a forum). I can't spend the rest of my life tracking these things down and comparing them in noisy Guitar Centers and such. Just tell me if the CFIII sample is the same across all models. Then if I happen to run across one of them somewhere in a less than unideal demo environment, I'll know the sound at least will be comparable regardless of which one I might chose or recommend.

They're playing their cards too close to the chest. I might be reading it wrong, but it seemed to me that people had to really make a fuss before they came clean on the FM thing for instance. And after all that I wonder what the fuss was about - an exceedingly limited and so disappointing DX7 implementation.

madshi #1353771 01/20/10 12:24 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
It is definitely not typical that the flagship has less features than the other products in the line. But then again a samurai sword doesn't have a bottle opener on it. :rolleyes

Funny, "rolls eyes" was pretty much my reaction to that statement too.

dewster #1353826 01/20/10 01:52 AM
dewster, my apologies, I haven't been keeping up with the discussion on the other forum, however may I ask you to clarify what you mean by "came clean on the FM thing"?

The FM simulation is entirely modelled, is it not?

Cheers,
James
x

Kawai James #1353840 01/20/10 02:17 AM
OP Offline
This is how Athan a Yamaha Professional expressed it on The Keyboard Corner:

Synthesizer Piano Type - In the CP1, it is real FM. Period. There are 4 of the most popular DX7 EP algorithms. On the VCM effects block there is a model of the TX816 chorus. There is a separate DSP chip to do the calculations necessary for FM.

Peace

Page 20 of 50 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 49 50

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recording myself playing
by Ehudhoc - 07/02/20 01:28 PM
Music School Graduates
by samwitdangol - 07/02/20 12:45 PM
Two jobs
by samwitdangol - 07/02/20 08:54 AM
Black Key Arpeggios
by Qazsedcft - 07/02/20 06:44 AM
This Week's Wim, s1 e2
by Pianoman53 - 07/02/20 06:43 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,979
Posts2,975,911
Members97,615
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission