2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hi Folks!

I am new to the forum and would like to ask a general question of those who have used the 'Alfred's Adult All-in-One Course'.

I took private lessons once upon a time when I was a kid - for approximately three years. I haven't played seriously since. Now that I finally have the time (yea!) I am going back to the piano (acoustic - electronic instruments just aren't for me).

Anyway, as a review I purchased 'Alfred's Adult All-in-One Course'. I thought I was going to be hopelessly rusty, but I surprised myself for not only do I remember quite a bit, but my playing skills are not that bad. . . . considering the long, long absence.

Anyrate, for those who have used the Alfred series, and have completed all three books - what level are you now playing on?

I am a not-too-rusty intermediate (but my sight reading skills are dismal right now). Right now I am breezing through the first book (which is too easy for me - but it serves as a very good review).

TIA

Music is the voice of the heart.
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
At the end of Alfred three you would probably be a grade 2 to 3 assuming you worked most of the ambitious sections at the end. But your mileage will vary.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Depends on the grading system. There is no standard, every exam or repertoire series kind of makes up their own.

For example, most of the pieces in the Ambitious section of book 3 are in the Keith Snell Level 5 books. At that level, you should be working on sonatinas or easy sonatas, the easiest Chopin pieces, or Bach Little Preludes or possibly Inventions.

Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
J
J
I'm still working through the first book sadly. Just started about a month and a half ago and working on it alone. No teacher. Slowly but surely. :P

B
B
I'm new here too and I'm working through it by myself. Bought a cheap benjamin adams keyboard and figured I'd go for it. Good luck!

Originally Posted by JohnMichael
I'm still working through the first book sadly. Just started about a month and a half ago and working on it alone. No teacher. Slowly but surely. :P

OP Offline
Ah! Thanks DragonPianoPlayer - giving me examples of what pieces one should be playing at the end of Book 3 helps me a lot.

I use to play Beethoven's Fur Elise (original score) and the Moonlight Sonata quite well (first movement) before I left music. I can still play them, but considering how I use to play. . . oh my! blush

Hence the reason for a major review beginning at the beginning.

B
B
Book 3 has Fur Elise, Toccata and Fugue in D minor, Moonlight Sonata, Well Tempered Klavier, Prelude A Major. It seems this series is good for the complete beginner.. I would say If you just need to brush up, might want to pick another book instead of Alfred Series. You can get those songs in a 10 for 10 deal from Alfred in their original form along with Turkish March and a few more, might be a better way to go if you just want to brush up.

I should say I been working on the series myself and am almost to the end of book 3 and it has helped me out a lot, but I can't see myself ever going back to book 1 at this point.

Last edited by bobjr; 01/19/10 01:51 AM.
My wife has a similar background to you DancinDigits. She took lessons through about the 5th grade and then came back in January 2009 at age 57. She started and conquered the last song in Alfred Book 1 (Amazing Grace) in the first few weeks and has since moved on to one of the Alfred Essential Repertoire books. She did flute through junior high and high school, so she had something after piano.

I started playing piano 2-years ago at age 61 with absolutely no music training or background. I finished Book 1 in November 2009 and I am in the Alfred Adult AIO Book 2 now. I like the slow acceleration of basic skills learning. I do have a teacher once a week.

Best regards,

Rod Michael
Mason & Hamlin AA, SN 93018
Yamaha CGP-1000, SN UCNZ01010
Zoom Q3
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

OP Offline
Thanks to all for the replies.

I would love to go back to private instructions. It always helps to have a trained, experienced set of ears listen to my playing. I may not pick up every mistake I am making, and I am sure that an experienced/well versed instructor can offer me insights and tips that I am unaware of.

But alas, money will not allow me to seek instruction. Maybe at some point in the future.

So for now, its independent study.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission