2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It's not unusual to see incremental changes to a product...no doubt Yamaha's surveys showed that clients wanted a jazz organ and a choir voice.

I'm pleased with the changes and I intend to pick one up after testing it thoroughly...the 25 lb weight and GHS action are perfect for my needs. Pity they didn't add line outs.

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Looks to me like a P85 with very minor changes.

Many times companies do this simply so they can take advantage of newer parts and manufacturing processes. This saves them some cost and lets then use parts that are more readily available. Very little for the end user, unless they were able to get the cost down are address some failure points that were causing warranty work.

Last edited by ChrisA; 01/15/10 01:44 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KAWAI James
I'm sure the main piano sounds have been updated.

Never underestimate the Yamaha marketing department.

They can tart up the most incremental ROM shuffle / painted logo change into the NEXT BIG THING and laugh all the way to the bank.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano World
I'm at the 2010 NAMM show now.

Anything special I should check out?

please Please PLEASE compare the CFIII sample in the CP1 to the CP50!

I hate to do this, but PRETTY PLEASE?!?!

P
P
Could you try out the Korg NW action on a SP-170? There's absolutely zero information on how it feels relative to other Korg, Yamaha, Roland, and Casio actions. I've got a Casio PX-130 on the way, but I've got 90 days to return it if the SP-170 has better action at the same price.

D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by dewster
Originally Posted by Piano World
I'm at the 2010 NAMM show now.

Anything special I should check out?

please Please PLEASE compare the CFIII sample in the CP1 to the CP50!

I hate to do this, but PRETTY PLEASE?!?!

There is no playable CP5 or CP50's at the show according to my sources .....

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The CP-5 and CP-50 won't be out till March.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dr Popper
There is no playable CP5 or CP50's at the show according to my sources .....

These two dudes claim to have played them, not sure if it was at NAMM or not:

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbth..._Yamaha_CP1_first_impression#Post2153953

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbth..._Yamaha_CP1_first_impression#Post2153981

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
One thing for sure...all the hubbub has certainly taken the limelight away from the V-Piano and the Korg SV-1...at least for now.

The air of mystery about the CP-1's way of doing the acoustic piano has really given Yamaha lots of publicity.

Very interesting products, and obviously the CP-1 is very impressive, and not a one trick piano pony like the V-Piano.

I played the V-Piano for the better part of a day, and spent a couple of hours on the SV-1...neither made me feel like I wanted to part with my hard earned cash, especially the former, which only offered acoustic piano and no controller functions for a sizable chunk of change...I'm afraid Yamaha is about to slip me a CP-1 mickey, and resistance might be futile.

Snazzy

A
A
Looks like a P-85 with two replacement sounds. Glad they added a jazz organ. Does the P-95 have the same problem as the P-85? You know what I mean ... the bottom is not flat so it doesn't sit nicely on many k/b stands.

Rob

Yamaha CP-300, P-85, NP-30
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Auggiedoggy
Looks like a P-85 with two replacement sounds. Glad they added a jazz organ. Does the P-95 have the same problem as the P-85? You know what I mean ... the bottom is not flat so it doesn't sit nicely on many k/b stands.

According to their manuals, the dimensions of the P-85 and P-95 are the same, I suspect they used the same chassis. However, I do see that the P-95 has a pair of well-placed small metal "cross beams" (about 6" x 1") on the bottom, which seem to serve no purpose other than providing a more solid (i.e. more consistently "flat") bottom to the piece. Maybe someone here could check a P-85 and see if it has those pieces or if that was a new addition. At any rate, I had no problem putting the P-95 on a stand, and have a hard time visualizing it being a problem putting it on any stand.

As for the other differences between the two models, besides the two changed sounds, I'm pretty sure the matte finish on the black keys is new to the P-95, and it does provide a nice feel. Also, according to the specs, the new model is unfortunately almost a pound heavier. But if that's the price of having the nicer feeling keys, it's probably worth it. Personally, I think the choir voice and jazz organ voice are probably more useful than having a second harpsichord and a second pipe organ... though if I were going to pick one tonewheel organ registration to emulate, I'd have picked what I think is the more universally usable 888000000 instead of one that also includes higher drawbars. But then I'm more of a rock player than a jazz player.

Overall, I'd have to say that the changes were worth making, they do improve the instrument, even if they are not major. For those who complain that they didn't improve it enough, if the choice were between this and just keeping the P-85 the way it was, I'm glad we have this. And the changes, minor as they may be, are sufficient to give it a new model number. It's much easier to refer to a P-85 and a P-95 than to say "do you have the P-85 with the 2 pipe organs or the one with the jazz organ" or whatever. Shades of Apple with their endless series of different versions of computers that all have the same name... not helpful.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission