2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 10 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
From the yamaha NAMM website ,

P95S
Great for the beginner or the mobile musician, the new P95 lightweight portable piano will replace the successful P85. Yamaha’s stereo piano sample and improved effects will make piano playing even more enjoyable on this 88-key piano. The P95’s fresh features are a versatile Jazz Organ Voice and a beautiful new Choir Voice. The piano is available in two colors: black and silver.
Scheduled Release Summer 2010

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Great, thanks!

Is there any information on whether the action has been improve/updated?

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
B
B
Thanks Popper! Are you taking any pix or hd video? can't w8 for the pix. I'm missing the show! Maybe someday I'll get back to enjoy it. I have many bros in attendance. Nothing like the OC in January too! If you've never made it down to the ocean in the oc, make sure you get down to Laguna Beach as it's very beautiful and quite the departure from the kaos of anaheim this time of year.

Last edited by Brian1963; 01/15/10 03:37 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KAWAI James
Great, thanks!

Is there any information on whether the action has been improve/updated?

Cheers,
James
x

Well, I'm one who has been very happy with the action of my P-85, so I won't mind one bit if it remains the same. It's nice to see they've added the Jazz Organ and Choir sounds....my only hope is that they have improved the on-board speakers which, in my opinion, were barely adequate on the P-85, and they have also added separate line outs.(and kept the dedicated MIDI ports).

But, as far as actions go, the P-85's is smooth, well balanced and weighted just perfect for my needs and touch, so I'd be very pleased if it was kept on the new model.

This P-95 is a lovely, and very unexpected, surprise. thumb

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
P95 info :

The P-95 gives musicians the dynamic, high-quality sound and natural piano touch response they expect from Yamaha, along with a high-quality built-in speaker system. All this packed into a slim, exceptionally affordable instrument that's always ready to play when you are. No compromises, just Yamaha quality.

Features

Graded Hammer Standard (GHS) Keyboard with matte finish of black keys
Just as on a traditional acoustic piano, the keys of the lower notes have a heavier touch, while the higher ones are more responsive to lighter playing. The keyboard's sensitivity can even be adjusted to match your playing style. This Graded Hammer technology also enables the instrument to provide authentic touch in a lightweight instrument. The matte finish of the black keys enhances the keyboard's luxurious appearance.

Compact, Stylish Design
The attractive, slim, lightweight design of the instrument -less than 12 kgsuits virtually any interior décor, and occupies less space than most coffee tables. No piano movers required.
Advanced Wave Memory (AWM) Dynamic Stereo Sampling
The AWM (Advanced Wave Memory) is a sampling system which creates the realism of an acoustic instrument by using digital technology to record the instrument sound and applying high-quality digital filter technology to the recorded audio samples. The waveform of the sound created by playing the key of an acoustic piano differs depending on the playing strength from pianissimo to fortissimo. The AWM Dynamic Stereo Sampling can produce such dynamic nuances by recording samples of various playing strengths. The greater the number of samples used, the higher the expression.
Built-in Stereo Speaker System
This instrument uses highly efficient amplifiers that pack more sound into a lighter digital piano. With 6 watts per channel, these keyboards are ready to go whenever you are.
Essential Sounds
This instrument features an array of commonly used sounds such as grand pianos, electric pianos, organs, harpsichords, vibraphones, strings and new choir and Jazz organ. Each of these sounds has been recorded and recreated with Yamaha's unrivaled attention to detail.
50 Preset Piano Songs
A selection of 50 different piano songs is provided for your listening pleasure. These recordings were chosen for their beauty as well as their functionality. Since many of the songs are classic piano pieces, anyone taking lessons can listen to them for reference.

P-95 Specifications
Keyboard Number of keys 88
Type GHS matte black keys
Voice Voices 10
Polyphony 64
Piano Voice Stereo
Other Voices GRAND PIANO 1/2,
E.PIANO 1/2,
JAZZ ORGAN,
PIPE.ORGAN,
STRINGS,
CHOIR,
HARPSICHORD,
VIBRAPHONE
Song Voice Demo 10
Preset Songs 50
Recording No. of Tracks 1
No. of Songs 1
Effect Reverb 4 types
Chorus/Effect Yes (Preset Only)
Dual/Layer Yes
Other Connection Phones 2
MIDI IN/OUT
Sustain Yes
Pedal Unit Yes (LP-5A)
Amplifier / Speaker Amplifier 6 W x 2
Speaker Size (12cmx6cm ) x 2
Color P95B: Black
P95S: Silver
Panel Language English

[Linked Image]

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Looks nice, can't wait to try one! I'm surprised they haven't increased the polyphony though, 64 sounds pretty low these days and Casio's PX130 has 128. No USB out either which the Casio has frown

Korg have a new DP (SP170) with similar spec too but it has 120 note polyphony and I suspect it will be quite a bit cheaper than the P95

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
M
M
I wonder which ones of two harpsichord and church organ patches on the P-85 they left out to make room for the choir and jazz organ on the P-95. I prefer "harpsichord 1" and "church organ 1", but some reviewers of the P-85 thought the alternate versions were much better...

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Martin C. Doege
I wonder which ones of two harpsichord and church organ patches on the P-85 they left out to make room for the choir and jazz organ on the P-95. I prefer "harpsichord 1" and "church organ 1", but some reviewers of the P-85 thought the alternate versions were much better...

P-95 at Yamaha site

They blew it by removing one of the church organs to make room for a stupid choir sound that no one will ever use. There are never enough church organs as these DPs are often used in church settings.

Same watts and speaker size so they kept one of the worst features of the P-85.

At least they didn't take away the MIDI ports, but I don't see any line-out.

How is this an exciting development? To me it seems like a step backwards.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The only way this is good news is if they start dumping P-85s at firesale prices.

M
M
Let's just say the P-95 is not much of an upgrade: Same action, same 1-layer sampling, still 10 voices. The new sounds should really have been in addition to the existing sounds on the P-85.

Removing features from a new product version that existed in a previous model is a seriously bad idea.

And what's with the ugly white labels above the piano keys?

I'm sure the main piano sounds have been updated.

On a separate note, Dr Popper, did you write that copy text?

Cheers,
James
x

Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
I'm at the 2010 NAMM show now.

Anything special I should check out?

I mostly go to the acoustic pianos (and accessories for our pianosupplies.com store), but I love a good digital.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Martin C. Doege
Removing features from a new product version that existed in a previous model is a seriously bad idea.

Yamaha did this with the P120 => P140 transition too. They took away the speaker control switch, the sliding tone control, a whole row of voice selection buttons, and went from 28 voices to 14 during that "upgrade". The only thing they really fixed was putting the I/O on the back rather than on the left side. It was a cost reduction fobbed off on the consumer as a next-gen.

I see the P155 as a half-hearted attempt at recovery from the P140 holocaust.

Pathetic.

holocaust noun

a very large amount of destruction, especially by fire or heat, or the killing of very large numbers of people

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=37571

Originally Posted by Piano World

I mostly go to the acoustic pianos (and accessories for our pianosupplies.com store), but I love a good digital.

It would be great if you could test the action and sound of the new Nord Piano and compare it with Nord Stage EX 88 or 76.

Thanks a lot!

Originally Posted by Piano World

I think you should have fun playing the new Yamaha CP1!
Have a good show!

Peace

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KAWAI James
holocaust noun

a very large amount of destruction, especially by fire or heat, or the killing of very large numbers of people

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=37571

Well, that DP line went down in flames for me, anyway.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
so, what's the point of P95, if there isn't enough upgrade to it?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by signa
so, what's the point of P95, if there isn't enough upgrade to it?

I hadn't realised how close the spec was to the P85, reading the blurb it sounds like they've hardly changed it at all. I suppose that may not be the whole story though, perhaps it has improved samples or more efficient amps/speakers?

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
New!
Improved!
Buy Now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission