2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I have only just discovered the IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library.
I caught Horowitzian mentioning IMSLP and had no idea what he was on about so did a google and discovered this candy shop of public domain music manuscripts.

I was disappointed that I could not find any Messian there, but hey, there is plenty of other stuff to amuse one with. For those at PW that are not familiar with it, it is a music portal with PDF's of manuscripts from hundreds of composers and it is all FREE.

Check it out here IMSLP

Oz Marcus
Currently working on:
Schubert Impromptu in C minor - D899
Chopin Prelude Op28 No 15, nocturne Op48 no 1
Bach Prelude & Fuge WTC II No 12 in F minor
Aspiring to Rautavaara - Piano Sonata 2 - Fire Sermon
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Yeah, I can spend hours at that site. blush

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It is a great site, a pity it was temporarily shut down some time ago... I was worried it would never open again!

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
It's a great site indeed.

There are very complicated rules about what pieces are in the public domain. It's a function of when the piece was written, the copyright laws at the time and the present (I think), and the country you live in. You won't find a lot of 20th century music; for instance, not only no Messiaen, but no Shostakovitch. You can download Sibelius's first five symphonies, but not six and seven (at least in the US). The rules of copyright are cruel but explicit.

Like a lot of things on the internet, it works because of the masses. Most of the pdfs on the site were uploaded by random users with a score and a scanner.

-Jason

p.s. ChopinAddict: I think the shut-down last year was from legal threats, because they were being a little sloppy with what they allowed to be downloaded by whom. Now they're being very careful about it, so they should be up for good! smile

Last edited by beet31425; 01/13/10 02:54 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yup, IMSLP is brilliant! The one thing that IS problematic is that they put CC (Creative Commons) licenses to whatever's up there. Which means that living composers could get in trouble with a CC license, which for me at least is nothing but trouble and LESS than normal copyright. It settles things but in favor of the aucience and not the composer! frown

But, still, IMSLP is brilliant, and of course anything under copyright is not there yet!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
And things still under copyright are there too.

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
Thanks for the link it is a great site, best not spend too much time there, things to do smile

If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
yea, it's been pretty useful, I've printed out 11 scores from them so far. (I think I've been good about copyright laws...)

"Nie Dam Sie!"
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Philip Lu
yea, it's been pretty useful, I've printed out 11 scores from them so far. (I think I've been good about copyright laws...)

Don't worry about the copyright laws. IMSLP worries about it for you. If you're not allowed to download something, it won't let you. So unless you're using an internet anonymizer or something shady (to hide the country you're in), download to your heart's content.

-Jason

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beet31425

Don't worry about the copyright laws. IMSLP worries about it for you. If you're not allowed to download something, it won't let you. So unless you're using an internet anonymizer or something shady (to hide the country you're in), download to your heart's content.

-Jason

OTOH, if someone is using such things, they probably don't care a whit about copyright laws anyway. smile

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Only 11? confused I know people who have printed out easily 150,000 pages and possibly two or three times as much.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/13/10 10:10 PM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Alkan-now SO easy to access! Except the Concerti da Camera Op. 10 (piano/orchestra); still waiting on those.

It's funny, you can't get Rachmaninoff's 4th concerto. Is it not in public domain yet?

OP Offline
I must say that I still love having my manuscript on nice paper that is nicely bound. Mostly I use Verlag-Henle Urtext. But sometimes there are some pieces of music that you can find and IMSLP has been brilliant. I have found it also quite good for getting different versions of music to see what sort of editing and fingering others have used. It is also good for analysis, if you want to print a score and write all over it to your hearts content and you don't have a photocopier handy.

M

Oz Marcus
Currently working on:
Schubert Impromptu in C minor - D899
Chopin Prelude Op28 No 15, nocturne Op48 no 1
Bach Prelude & Fuge WTC II No 12 in F minor
Aspiring to Rautavaara - Piano Sonata 2 - Fire Sermon
G
G
Yup, I really like the IMSLP library. If I'm not certain of a piece to choose to learn and don't want to speculatively purchase a score I can download most things and get a feel for a piece before then choosing which score to buy - saves me lots of cash and quite often exposes me to pieces I would not have considered too!

Long may it continue!

Sauter Masterclass 130
----------------------
Currently working on:
Bach: French Suite no. 4
Beethoven: Op 10 no 1
Schubert: Op 90 no 3
Debussy: La Cathedrale Engloutie, Golliwog's Cakewalk, 'Clear the Room'
Balakirev / Glinka: The Lark
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

-Jason

That's not a correct characterization of IMSLP. As far as copyright goes, they do what they can regarding allowing or disallowing downloads of music outside of public domain, but they explicitly say they don't guarantee it in a disclaimer you see every time you download something:
IMSLP makes no guarantee that the files provided for download on IMSLP are public domain in your country and assumes no legal responsibility or liability of any kind for their copyright status. Please obey the copyright laws of your country and consult the copyright statute itself or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain file is in the public domain in your country or if downloading a copy constitutes fair use.
BY CLICKING ANY LINK ON THIS SITE INCLUDING THE LINK BELOW, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE TO THE ABOVE DISCLAIMER.
Please close this window or leave this site if you do not agree.

The above is basic language a site like that uses to cover themselves - not you.

That being said, I love the site.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Phlebas, you're absolutely correct. I imagine IMSLP makes that disclaimer both in defense against people trying to be sneaky, and to legally protect themselves against errors on their part.

But I still let them do all of the thinking for me. I don't really know what the copyright laws in the US are. I download when IMSLP lets me, and trust their judgment when they tell me something is blocked, even if it's counter-intuitive. (For instance, they allowed me to download the second two movements of Mahler's early cantata Das klagende Lied, but not the first movement. It turned out that's because the first movement was discovered relatively recently.)

Is this a naive approach? One can argue it is. But so is automatically clicking "I Agree" to the End User License Agreements we click when we download software. (Which I do as well.) Life is too short; I prioritize my attention and energy. smile

-Jason

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I must admit that I do the same thing. You're right - life's too short.

S
S

Is this a naive approach? One can argue it is. But so is automatically clicking "I Agree" to the End User License Agreements we click when we download software. (Which I do as well.) Life is too short; I prioritize my attention and energy. smile

Life is short, but I think copyright issues are worth caring about. For example, we will all suffer if something like IMSLP disappears under another threat. If the public is not sufficiently outraged, this will happen again and again. Likewise, you should read those licenses for the software you use, and refuse to install it if the terms are objectionable to you.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
It's funny, you can't get Rachmaninoff's 4th concerto. Is it not in public domain yet?
Short answer: it's complicated! I found your question really interesting so I've done some reading around, and I hope that legal eagles can correct me if I go astray...

Under U.S. copyright law, copyright for works published prior to Jan 1st, 1923 expires after 75 years. This is why Rach 1-3 are in the public domain now.

However, copyright for works whose copyright was secured between Jan 1st, 1923 and Dec 31st, 1977 lasts for 95 years.

It also depends on which version of Rach 4 you want! The most commonly performed one is the revised 1941 version. I think you'll have to wait until 2036 for that (1941+95), sorry. Most Europeans including Brits should be able to get their hands on it from 70 years after the composer's death: Mar 28th, 2013.

The original published version (1928 in France), I think is the same story: Americans have to wait until 2023 (1928+95), while most Europeans could download from Mar 28th, 2013.

However, the version a lot of people are interested in nowadays is the original manuscript version from 1926, which was not published until 2000 by Boosey & Hawkes in the UK. If I'm correctly understanding sections 301-304 in Title 17 of the United States Code, this case in the U.S. is lifetime of author + 70 years, i.e. PD from Mar 28th, 2013. Whereas Brits and most Europeans will have to wait until 70 years after publication.

(Used to post as SlatterFan)

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission