2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 6 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Details to follow ....

[Linked Image]

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Wow!

So this is Roland's answer to the Nord Electro, yes?

NAMM will truly be a keyboard heaven this year!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by KAWAI James
Wow!

So this is Roland's answer to the Nord Electro, yes?

Yep I'd say that's exactly what it is ...with a little more thrown in ....Roland press release below

The Best in Organ, Piano, and Synth Sounds for the Gigging Musician

Los Angeles, CA, January 14, 2010 – Roland is proud to announce the V-Combo VR-700. Featuring the best of Roland’s acclaimed Virtual Tonewheel organ, full key multi-sampled piano, and pro synthesizer sounds, the V-Combo is perfect for players who need an all-in-one keyboard for a variety of musical settings, including houses of worship, stage performances, and rehearsal studios. The V-Combo offers powerful real-time performance capabilities in a simple-to-use-interface.

The V-Combo provides an authentic sound and feel to satisfy any organ player. Using Roland’s Virtual Tonewheel engine, the V-Combo simulates the unique structure and distinctive sound of vintage organs. The new amplifier and rotary simulator faithfully reproduces the sound needed for jazz, rock, funk or gospel, while the 76-key waterfall action captures the feel of a vintage organ. Add an optional PK-25 or PK-7A pedalboard for a more console-organ type feel.

The V-Combo takes its lead from Roland’s popular instruments, including everything from expressive full key multi-sampled acoustic grand pianos, classic electric pianos, to realistic strings, brass, bass and guitar sounds. With tone remain capability onboard, the 76 keys can easily layer two ensemble tones together, or layer and split with the organ tones.

In addition to the ten harmonic bars on the front panel, the V-Combo also incorporates a variety of expressive controllers for even more exhilarating performances. The red harmonic bard allows players to control the volume of the Ensemble tones. With the D Beam, players can create authentic organ-specific effects, such as wheel braking, or perform filter and level tone shaping on ensemble tones using an infrared light beam.

XLR and ¼“ outputs make the V-Combo ready for any stage, while the USB port and Song Player function enables direct playback and control of backing tracks from USB memory. Keyboardists can also back up and recall Favorites and system settings from USB memory, making the V-Combo easy to share at rehearsal studios.

The V-Combo VR-700 is scheduled to ship in March with a suggested retail price of $2,329.00. For more information, please visit www.RolandConnect.com.

Last edited by Dr Popper; 01/14/10 08:28 AM.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I like the floor unit:

namm-2010-roland-v-combo-vr-700

Though the presences of "Rhythm Patterns" in it is rather troubling.

S
S
Why is "rhythm patterns" troubling?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Can't imagine why having rhythm patterns would be troubling.

I use a PSR-S910 midi'd to my P-85 which then gives me arranger keyboard capabilities and 88 weighted graded hammer action and still remain relatively portable and very handy for One Man Band gigs, and for doing quick demos...not even mentioning that arranger features are a lot of fun for those with an eye for creative opportunities unavailable on a regular digital piano.

I'm considering a CVP-509 for the same enjoyment and expanded creative opportunities in a home unit.

Some piano players have a tough time playing arrangers...the left hand is the biggest hurdle, as one has to learn chording similar to organ playing, and learning to voice chords differently...it's not for everyone, but for those who are capable of can broadening their musical borders, it opens the door to many more types of gigs.

Regarding the rhythm in the VR-700...they are probably just drum/percussion patterns.

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sprout

Nothing intrinsically. But for me it's rather like built-in speakers - an indicator that it isn't firmly in the stage piano camp.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dewster

Nothing intrinsically. But for me it's rather like built-in speakers - an indicator that it isn't firmly in the stage piano camp.

I love having speakers in an instrument...very convenient, but, I will say, they must be good.

The speakers in the CP-300 were highly capable, and the piano was a terrific success for Yamaha.

I shall miss that convenience, should I go with a CP-1, or more likely, a CP-5.

Snazzy

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by snazzyplayer

I love having speakers in an instrument...very convenient, but, I will say, they must be good.

The speakers in the CP-300 were highly capable, and the piano was a terrific success for Yamaha.

I shall miss that convenience, should I go with a CP-1, or more likely, a CP-5.

Snazzy

I am willing to bet money that Yamaha sold a helluva lot more CP300's to people who didn't spend the whole week performing on them than to those who did. It will be interesting to see if the CP5 and 50 can capture the same market. I know which I would prefer to lug with me to the cabin for the weekend, and it isn't the one that requires carrying all kinds of extraneous equipment.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The CP-300 is also an awesome controller with two wheels, and a relatively roomy top upon which you can put another keyboard, tone modules, pints, or a candelabra...

Playing the CP-300 was akin to playing the Avant Grand in that you felt like you were sitting in front of a piano...not quite the same tactile feedback, but definitely the same aural response.

Snazzy

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
pints

Drinks on keyboards are strictly verboten around here. Recipe for disaster you know.

Few sights are as heartbreaking as seeing a glass of wine tip over into a grand piano. Don't ask me how I know, I still can't talk about it.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
pints

Drinks on keyboards are strictly verboten around here. Recipe for disaster you know.

I spoke the last two with tongue firmly in cheek...but seriously, having a piano with a flat top is a terrific idea.

The new CP's don't seem to have much room, although you could probably put a keyboard on it and have something on the stand to support the front half.

I rather not have to use a multi-keyboard stand.

Snazzy

A
A
pints

Few sights are as heartbreaking as seeing a glass of wine tip over into a grand piano.
This is why I drink my wine straight out of the jug.

Dr. Appleman, former NASA engineer, Empire of Earth and B.S. of Ninjutsu at MIT.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I rather not have to use a multi-keyboard stand.

Good point, flat spots at a decent height are hard to come by and are quite handy.

Originally Posted by appleman
This is why I drink my wine straight out of the jug.

All I ask is that you not put the jug on the keyboard between pulls.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
All I ask is that you not put the jug on the keyboard between pulls.

Back in my hippie days, we used to have a wine-skin slung over the shoulder...better than the wine in a brown paper bag. wink

Snazzy

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
It's on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy2OSJ3bY5c

As usual, too much talking, not enough playing. Organ sounds more Roland than Hammond on that clip. Rhodes sounds nice but I'd want to hear a lot more. Nice to have the RD-700GX pianos, but a lot will depend on how well adjusted the velocity curves are to suit the waterfall keyboard.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by theJourney
I am willing to bet money that Yamaha sold a helluva lot more CP300's to people who didn't spend the whole week performing on them than to those who did.

You say that like it is a positive thing...

Oh, I get it (I think): more casual players bought them than pros?

Originally Posted by theJourney
It will be interesting to see if the CP5 and 50 can capture the same market. I know which I would prefer to lug with me to the cabin for the weekend, and it isn't the one that requires carrying all kinds of extraneous equipment.

On vacation I usually bring a small sound system to play MP3s (OGGs, actually) thru, and we plug the keyboard into that. I doubt if the CP300 would even fit in our trunk, and lord knows I wouldn't want to move anything that heavy (71 lbs!) by myself - we'd have to take a roadie on vacation with us!

I'll bet Snazz's P-85 is pretty sweet for vacation use though.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Oh, I get it (I think): more casual players bought them than pros?

I'll bet Snazz's P-85 is pretty sweet for vacation use though.

Actually, they were bought by both pretty well equally, if you can believe the salespeople and the reps.

Yes, it is heavy, and one of the reasons it's not all that good for the solo performer...band gigs are usually not an issue if two are traveling together.

My secret weapon is the P-85 midi'd to the PSR-S910...both keyboards weigh less than 25 lbs each, and the PSR-S910 has Audio to USB recording, and an onboard 16 channel sequencer...and they both have speakers. The PSR-S910 will also play Wav and MP3 files.

Using the S910's styles, edited to my liking, I can put down a demo CD in the same time it takes to play the tunes...the piano sound in the PSR is great, and responds very well to the P-85's weighted keyboard...about as compact a studio setup as you can get, and just under $2000 total.

The VR-700 looks pretty decent for a stage piano/organ/synth that is "all in one", and it isn't all that big...would easily fit in my Fit.

76 keys would make key-splits actually useful...can't wait to try one.

This is going to be a great year for keyboardists.

Snazzy

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
re: "But for me it's rather like built-in speakers - an indicator that it isn't firmly in the stage piano camp."

I love built-in speakers. When you play a real acoustic piano, part of the visceral experience is that the instrument physically vibrates and resonates... you can feel it up from your fingers into your body. When you play an electric piano with speakers, it recreates some of that, which is absent on a "silent" keyboard. It makes playing the piano feel more authentic.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
re: "So this is Roland's answer to the Nord Electro, yes?"

Could be. On paper, the Roland has a more performance-friendly design, with easier direct access to different sounds, full (and straight-forward) split and layering capabilities, real drawbars, and a keyboard that goes to low E (to better cover left-hand bass). The Electro 3 weighs a lot less (performance-friendly in a different way!), and lets you load alternate and sampled sounds. The big question mark is which sounds better. I wonder if I'd like either's organ sound enough to replace my Korg CX-3 for the added versatility.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission