2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Canonie
Ah! Violent sport.....

Second only to internet posting. ha

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Horowitzian
Originally Posted by Wizard of Oz
This Horowitz guy flips flops more than Brett Farve!!! Have a backbone and do what you say or don't say what you won't do.

Don't forget. I have a long way to go before reaching Brett Favre's number of 'retirements'. laugh

Well, even Horowitz himself came out of retirement! so you're entitled to at least one, H grin!

Glad we're starting to laugh around here again!! (and at ourselves! "Lord, what fools these mortals be!") crazy

Sophia

8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sophial
Originally Posted by Wizard of Oz
This Horowitz guy flips flops more than Brett Farve!!! Have a backbone and do what you say or don't say what you won't do.

Don't forget. I have a long way to go before reaching Brett Favre's number of 'retirements'. laugh

Well, even Horowitz himself came out of retirement! so you're entitled to at least one, H grin!

Glad we're starting to laugh around here again!! (and at ourselves! "Lord, what fools these mortals be!") crazy

Sophia

That he did! I hadn't even thought about it. smile Laughter is the best medicine!

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Welcome back, H...can't think of a PW without you and a few others as a dependable core.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Let's just try to be civil is all I ask...

...can we please include dear Gyro when when exercising this sentiment? smile

Good to have you back H, although you never really went, did you? I prefer the new avatar, too.

Michael
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cruiser
Let's just try to be civil is all I ask...

...can we please include dear Gyro when when exercising this sentiment? smile

Good to have you back H, although you never really went, did you? I prefer the new avatar, too.

Well, I've sworn to ignore Jyrreau, so you won't hear anything from me.

Thanks, I figgered it was time for a change. I've always loved that photograph (that is my new avatar).

Originally Posted by rocket88
Welcome back, H...can't think of a PW without you and a few others as a dependable core.

Thanks!

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

Yeah, it's been quite a weekend. Never have I enjoyed the arrival of Monday so much!

Jason
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by argerichfan

Yeah, it's been quite a weekend. Never have I enjoyed the arrival of Monday so much!

Agreed! I normally hate Monday with a passion...

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Oh My.

Not only have I been away from PianoWorld for a bit due to the holidays...but I also come late even to Horowitzian's thread.

I have participated in many fora over the years, on a wide variety of subjects. While it may not affect me personally, I have always found that, while I admire those who volunteer to moderate, and that, human nature being what it is, impartial moderation is a difficult and often heroic skill to attain and maintain, particularly when one has philosophical, cultural, or moral differences with some of those being moderated and not others...

Still, the frustration of seeing it happen generally ruins participation in the forum for me.

I do agree that
Personally, I don't find it helpful to claim there was "nothing wrong" and that we just need to "get over it"; it adds further aggravation to the mix and escalates the situation.

SV and I did have a dust-up at one point. Yet, over a year later he PM'd me to apologize about it and said he'd felt bad ever since (as did I).

Neither of us, obviously, suffer fools gladly, which is a poor quality to have if one frequents internet fora wink

I have no illusions that any prolonged absence of mine will be mourned or even noticed...but I doubt that I will be much motivated to be active in the forum for a while.

Adult Amateur Pianist

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.
Who didn't have a dust-up with Steven? Reasonableness always prevailed though!

Originally Posted by ProdigalPianist
.....I have no illusions that any prolonged absence of mine will be mourned or even noticed.....

It would be -- and so will SV's.
This whole thing has gotten me interested to look more closely at the "Devoted to Chopin" discussion and I've been marveling at his posts. Speaking as someone who also had "dust-ups" with him, I know that thread will particularly miss him greatly.

Originally Posted by Mark_C
Speaking as someone who also had "dust-ups" with him,
That's putting it mildly.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz

So true. I remember when he called me on something. He was right about it and there were no hard feelings.

It's usually cold in cyberspace. That's why forums like this one are so valuable to so many. It offers the opportunity of connection ... of a "family" for lack of a better word. And like many "families" we can all get a little dramatic from time to time.

Originally Posted by eweiss
.....I remember when he called me on something. He was right about it....

Are you sure? ha
These things can be subtle......

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
.....I remember when he called me on something. He was right about it....

Are you sure? ha
These things can be subtle......

Oh yeah. I was pontificating on why learning how to speak the language of music first via improvisation and a chord-based approach was superior to note-reading and the classical approach. I still believe that idea but the way I said it alienated those reading that post. He said so in so many words. Of course I agreed since I posted it in the "Pianists Corner" where many classical pianists hang out.

That old chestnut. That rattled a good number of cages. So, you're a changed man? Whatayaknow!

Oh yeah.....I still believe that idea but the way I said it alienated those reading that post.....

OK, so you weren't exactly wrong. ha

But that's a great point, and great that you were able to be open to it. I've had to look at that myself at times (need I say) smile -- and it seems clear that this issue was a HUGE element in the recent whoop-de-doo. I hope that everyone (meaning everyone) who was involved in it has looked at that, or will. When people feel, "But all I said was......" they're often missing the real story.

F
F
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz

So true. I remember when he called me on something. He was right about it and there were no hard feelings.

It's usually cold in cyberspace. That's why forums like this one are so valuable to so many. It offers the opportunity of connection ... of a "family" for lack of a better word. And like many "families" we can all get a little dramatic from time to time.
To be honest this place often seems like the opposite to me - very uptight and haughty.

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Just try to get some of the classical players here to learn to improvise, it's like pulling teeth with them!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FunkyLlama
To be honest this place often seems like the opposite to me - very uptight and haughty.

Nah. Learned, and opinionated maybe, but not haughty. You just need to make it clear that you are open to learning new things and you should clearly separate opinion from fact and you will feel right at home. What's funny is that the ABF seemed at first to be a warm and family-like place but when I, as an adult restarter, tried to join in, I was promptly made to feel unwelcome because I was too advanced. Perception is in the mind of the beholder.

Best regards,

Deborah
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission