Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
66 registered members (Bett, AaronSF, Alex C, agent8698, AprilE, Beowulf, Agent88, 15 invisible), 1,146 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Nearest Neighbors: Advice Needed! #1344249
01/08/10 09:19 PM
01/08/10 09:19 PM
Bay Area, CA
beet31425 Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
beet31425  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member

Bay Area, CA
Hi everyone--

The topic of piano noise and neighbors has been covered before, and I've read the old threads. I'd love to get advice on my particular situation.

I'm thinking of moving into the house on the left:

[Linked Image]

I'm also thinking of buying my first piano-- definitely a grand, somewhere in the 6 foot range. The owner of the house I'd be renting is a little concerned. The piano would be situated in the living room on the right side of the house (you can see its main front window). The folks on the house to the right are a couple with small children (maybe an infant) with bedrooms on the left side of their house-- right across the driveway from me. There's concern around the children going to bed early. We all want this to work out, and the plan is for me to meet them to see whether a piano would bother them, and what rules we can establish.

(The owner is not physically present, but she wants everyone to be happy and peaceful, and she won't rent to me if she thinks there will be an ongoing problem. She's very nice, actually.)

Questions!

1) Based on what you see, how invasive will my playing be to them? Will it be loud and inescapable, or will it be a slight tinkle in the background? Assume both their windows and mine are closed. Also suppose I'm playing something like the Great Gates of Kiev. smile

2) Are there things I can do to limit the invasiveness? Putting down the top helps; I've heard making the window double-paned could help a lot. Anything else that might really matter?

3) Has anyone ever been in a similar physical situation, two houses separated by a driveway, and made an arrangement with neighbors ("No playing after 10", etc.)? What were the details?

Thanks! I'm stressed and excited about this, and I'm looking forward to seeing what people have to say.

-Jason

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Nearest Neighbors: Advice Needed! [Re: beet31425] #1344260
01/08/10 09:32 PM
01/08/10 09:32 PM
Seattle area, WA
gooddog Offline
5000 Post Club Member
gooddog  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Seattle area, WA
I'm not quite as close to my neighbors as you are, but I've never had a problem because I try to be very courteous about noise during the seasons when the windows are open. They have young children so I generally don't play before or after 8 on weekdays. On weekends, I don't play before 9:30 or after about 9:30 unless I'm having a very occasional party. When the windows are closed, I play pretty much whenever I want.

Closing the lid is a good idea. Drapes might help. Situate the piano so the wing faces away from the neighbors. Maybe put a pretty afghan over the piano and make sure the room is carpeted.

Good luck.

Best regards,

Deborah
Re: Nearest Neighbors: Advice Needed! [Re: gooddog] #1344279
01/08/10 09:51 PM
01/08/10 09:51 PM
G
Gyro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Gyro  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
G

Based on the picture, I would guess
that your neighbors will be able
to hear your playing quite well,
since an acoustic piano can be heard a
block away. Whether this would
be loud enough for them to
complain is another question.
If you get on late at night and
pound away while their infant
is sleeping, that might create some
problems.

However, a larger question,
as I see it, is the proposed
living arrangement that
your post implies. This sounds
a lot like another poster, a young
computer engineer, who bought
a big house, essentially to house
a grand piano. I advised against
this, because I thought that
the novelty of the grand would
soon wear off, and he would then find
himself living all alone in a big
house with a grand piano that was
hardly being played.

I would similarly advise against
this. You're apparently going to
rent this house just to house a
grand piano. But grand pianos are
notorious for being bought on impulse
and then ending up as hardly-played
living room furniture. I think
maybe the landlord has an inkling
of this. She'd want a long-term
tenant, and perhaps suspects that this
experiment with a grand piano will not
last long, and will result in you
moving out after a brief stay.

Last edited by Gyro; 01/08/10 09:54 PM.
Re: Nearest Neighbors: Advice Needed! [Re: beet31425] #1344281
01/08/10 09:54 PM
01/08/10 09:54 PM
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Horowitzian  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by beet31425
Hi everyone--

The topic of piano noise and neighbors has been covered before, and I've read the old threads. I'd love to get advice on my particular situation.

I'm thinking of moving into the house on the left:

[Linked Image]

I'm also thinking of buying my first piano-- definitely a grand, somewhere in the 6 foot range. The owner of the house I'd be renting is a little concerned. The piano would be situated in the living room on the right side of the house (you can see its main front window). The folks on the house to the right are a couple with small children (maybe an infant) with bedrooms on the left side of their house-- right across the driveway from me. There's concern around the children going to bed early. We all want this to work out, and the plan is for me to meet them to see whether a piano would bother them, and what rules we can establish.

(The owner is not physically present, but she wants everyone to be happy and peaceful, and she won't rent to me if she thinks there will be an ongoing problem. She's very nice, actually.)

Questions!

1) Based on what you see, how invasive will my playing be to them? Will it be loud and inescapable, or will it be a slight tinkle in the background? Assume both their windows and mine are closed. Also suppose I'm playing something like the Great Gates of Kiev. smile

2) Are there things I can do to limit the invasiveness? Putting down the top helps; I've heard making the window double-paned could help a lot. Anything else that might really matter?

3) Has anyone ever been in a similar physical situation, two houses separated by a driveway, and made an arrangement with neighbors ("No playing after 10", etc.)? What were the details?

Thanks! I'm stressed and excited about this, and I'm looking forward to seeing what people have to say.

-Jason

Hehe, I actually had a friend over yesterday who plays very well. I had to go outside to get firewood whilst he was pounding Finlandia out on my piano. I could barely hear it from about 15' outside of the music room window. And that's sayin' something because my S&S B is a rather powerful example when it is pushed. Then again, I'm in a rural area so I care little about how much noise I make. grin

[edit] For instance, 50 watts of all-tube goodness:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Horowitzian; 01/08/10 09:57 PM.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Nearest Neighbors: Advice Needed! [Re: Horowitzian] #1344295
01/08/10 10:15 PM
01/08/10 10:15 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Carey  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Phoenix, Arizona
Jason -

Regarding your first question....why not arrange with the landlord to take a good portable stereo CD player over to the property and play some classical piano music on it with the windows closed. That way you can adjust the volume yourself inside the house, then have the luxury of walking around the outside of the house while the stereo is playing to hear the noise level yourself. This should give you a pretty good idea of how a "real" piano will impact your neighbors - and they will be able to hear and judge the potential impact themselves from their children's bedrooms. If you ultimately decide to rent the house, playing the grand at night with the lid closed will make a big difference in the overall amount of sound generated.

Last edited by carey; 01/08/10 10:17 PM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Re: Nearest Neighbors: Advice Needed! [Re: gooddog] #1344297
01/08/10 10:19 PM
01/08/10 10:19 PM
Hacienda Heights, CA
Philip Lu Offline
Philip Lu  Offline

Hacienda Heights, CA
Originally Posted by gooddog
I'm not quite as close to my neighbors as you are, but I've never had a problem because I try to be very courteous about noise during the seasons when the windows are open. They have young children so I generally don't play before or after 8 on weekdays. On weekends, I don't play before 9:30 or after about 9:30 unless I'm having a very occasional party. When the windows are closed, I play pretty much whenever I want.

Closing the lid is a good idea. Drapes might help. Situate the piano so the wing faces away from the neighbors. Maybe put a pretty afghan over the piano and make sure the room is carpeted.

Good luck.

Maybe that's why my neighbors never complained! All three of those are pretty much permanent on my piano, other than the wing thing.

"Nie Dam Sie!"
Re: Nearest Neighbors: Advice Needed! [Re: Philip Lu] #1344365
01/08/10 11:49 PM
01/08/10 11:49 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Victoria, BC
I don't think this question can be answered by looking at pictures of the two houses. One of the first questions to consider and that can't be answered from the photographs is how well the houses are insulated. While Carey's suggestion may be a good first step, I don't think you can definitively replicate the sound qualities and the sound-carrying vibrations that are set up by a real grand piano by playing a "good portable CD player" in place of the real thing.

One thing about Gyro's advice is that it is always consistent :
- acoustic pianos are loud and can be heard a block away
- all neighbours (and neighbors, too!) hate pianos
- people who buy grands do so on impulse and get tired of them and have to life with a white (black?) elephant for the rest of their lives.

But, hey! there's no elephant in my music room!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Nearest Neighbors: Advice Needed! [Re: BruceD] #1344377
01/08/10 11:59 PM
01/08/10 11:59 PM
Land of the never-ending music
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member
ChopinAddict  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

About about actually talking to them and ask them if they have any favourite times for you to play?
No neighbours would like MY time, which is in the middle of the night, so I went digital....

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Re: Nearest Neighbors: Advice Needed! [Re: BruceD] #1344381
01/09/10 12:06 AM
01/09/10 12:06 AM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Carey  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Phoenix, Arizona
Per Bruce - "While Carey's suggestion may be a good first step, I don't think you can definitively replicate the sound qualities and the sound-carrying vibrations that are set up by a real grand piano by playing a "good portable CD player" in place of the real thing."

I agree completely. There's nothing like actually having the real thing roaring and vibrating in your living room !!

However, as a first step, my suggestion would be better than simply making assumptions and talking hypothetically about how the grand piano sound may or may not carry. What I had in mind was a high end stereo system with high volume capacity and good sound quality as opposed to your average boom box.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Re: Nearest Neighbors: Advice Needed! [Re: Carey] #1344399
01/09/10 12:32 AM
01/09/10 12:32 AM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Victoria, BC
Carey :

I don't disagree!

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Nearest Neighbors: Advice Needed! [Re: BruceD] #1344436
01/09/10 02:14 AM
01/09/10 02:14 AM
Seattle, WA
M
MarkH Offline
500 Post Club Member
MarkH  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

Seattle, WA
I currently live on the 4th floor of an old wood-floored apartment building. I have a Yamaha Clavinova with wooden keys that has moving hammers inside, which is a pretty good approximation of what playing a real piano feels like. I can always plug my headphones in to protect my neighbors, which is great since I play during late hours, but over the last three months, my neighbor below me has begun pounding on the walls in response to my playing anything more than mezzo piano, EVEN WHEN THE HEADPHONES ARE PLUGGED IN! Apparently there's no air space between my floor and his ceiling, or else he's super sensitive to the thumping that my keys make. I put an inch of padding under my piano, and now I can get up to mezzo forte with the headphones in before he pounds at me, but it's still not acceptable. I AM practicing the Great Gate of Kiev, and that's not appropriate at mf!

I bet you would be ok in your potential setup - think of how much sound carries through the door and window of a practice room and how much of it you can hear through the door and window of the room across the hallway when both doors are closed. But I like Carey's idea of testing it out.

Last edited by MarkH; 01/09/10 02:15 AM.
Re: Nearest Neighbors: Advice Needed! [Re: beet31425] #1344888
01/09/10 04:33 PM
01/09/10 04:33 PM
California
Ferdinand Offline
500 Post Club Member
Ferdinand  Offline
500 Post Club Member

California
Jason, congratulations on your decision to buy a piano.

Re: Nearest Neighbors: Advice Needed! [Re: BruceD] #1344893
01/09/10 04:44 PM
01/09/10 04:44 PM
Haverhill, Massachusetts
J
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member
John Citron  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Jason,

I've been thinking about your setup. I think you maybe okay with the piano. The only consideration I would make is playing after 9:00 pm with the windows open. Given the amount of ambient noise today with electro-mechanical equipment running, TVs, A/C units, and even lawm mowers, and road traffic, your piano will hardly be noticed by the people next door. This is of course unless the children can hear ants walk on the sidewalk.

The reason why I say this is my house is of the same vintage, and the piano is barely audible outside my window. I asked my neighbors about this because I play later at night sometimes, and they said they could hardly hear it if at all. I even had one of them come over and play while I went outside to hear any noise, and the piano was barely audible even with him playing Chopin's Scherzo No. 1 in b, a Bach Prelude and Fuge from the WTC Bk 1, and part of Schubert's Wanderer just outside my window. It's nice having an accomplished pianist as a neighbor! smile This made me feel more at ease knowing that I wasn't disturbing my neighbors or even anyone that walks up on the street. My house is farther away from my neighbors than yours, but I still wanted to make sure I wasn't heard up on the street either, which is as close as your potential house is to the street.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
Re: Nearest Neighbors: Advice Needed! [Re: John Citron] #1344945
01/09/10 05:40 PM
01/09/10 05:40 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Carey  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Phoenix, Arizona
John - You have an accomplished pianist as a neighbor? We should all be so lucky !!

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Re: Nearest Neighbors: Advice Needed! [Re: Carey] #1345248
01/09/10 10:33 PM
01/09/10 10:33 PM
Haverhill, Massachusetts
J
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member
John Citron  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Originally Posted by carey
John - You have an accomplished pianist as a neighbor? We should all be so lucky !!

I do and I'm very self conscious about practicing when he's out in his yard. I wait until he goes in because I don't want him to hear me destroying the music. wink

John

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
Re: Nearest Neighbors: Advice Needed! [Re: John Citron] #1345262
01/09/10 10:44 PM
01/09/10 10:44 PM
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member
ChopinAddict  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I also play the flute, the pan flute and the guitar besides the piano. That's why it is essential that I play the piano with headphones, otherwise my neighbours COULD get tired of my music.... wink Actually, at the beginning I was shy and went to play the flute (my second instruments after the piano) at the beach, then I got tired because the acoustics at the beach were obviously awful + people started to stop and ask if they could listen to me! So I started playing at home and nobody ever complained. Of course, about 1 1/2 years ago there was a flood upstairs, really bad, they almost wrecked my apartment too, it was a miracle that the spot where the piano was was the only spot where the water didn't come down..... Anyway, I didn't complain either, so we are living as "good" neighbours....

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Re: Nearest Neighbors: Advice Needed! [Re: ChopinAddict] #1345834
01/10/10 04:28 PM
01/10/10 04:28 PM
Bay Area, CA
beet31425 Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
beet31425  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member

Bay Area, CA
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I'm going to talk to the neighbors some time next week. I'll start by suggesting a cut-off of 10pm, additionally with top down, windows closed and rug-over-piano during weekday evenings. I also think, if it's a question of infants trying to get to sleep, that a portable white noise generator, even at a low volume, would be pretty good at blocking a piano from the next house. From my experience, it's good at blocking at least the high notes.

At any rate, I'm hoping half the battle will be won just by introducing myself in a friendly way and making myself available.

Thanks again for your perspectives and suggestions!

-Jason

Beethoven op.110, Chopin op.27/2, Liszt Vallée d'Obermann
Re: Nearest Neighbors: Advice Needed! [Re: Gyro] #1345850
01/10/10 04:42 PM
01/10/10 04:42 PM
W
Wizard of Oz Offline
500 Post Club Member
Wizard of Oz  Offline
500 Post Club Member
W

Originally Posted by Gyro

I would similarly advise against
this. You're apparently going to
rent this house just to house a
grand piano. But grand pianos are
notorious for being bought on impulse
and then ending up as hardly-played
living room furniture. I think
maybe the landlord has an inkling
of this. She'd want a long-term
tenant, and perhaps suspects that this
experiment with a grand piano will not
last long, and will result in you
moving out after a brief stay.

hey Gyro, how did you come to this conclusion?
The OP never mentioned his playing background nor
how often he intends to play. How does
having a grand piano and renting a house
have anything to do with each other.
The guy still can live there even if
he never touches the piano again.
The landlady is not concerned about a long term
tenant, but if the noise will be too loud for the neighbours.

Don't make assumptions cause it makes an A *.*. out of you.

The issue here is will the noise bother the neighbour. That's it. I would suggest to rent a digital keyboard and just play it at the same volume as the grand, and see how loud it is for them. You had some good ideas for dampening the noise.

Look into sound proofing walls. You could put one up on the wall closest to your neighbour's house. Don't know about the cost of that though.

Re: Nearest Neighbors: Advice Needed! [Re: beet31425] #1345940
01/10/10 06:06 PM
01/10/10 06:06 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Victoria, BC
[...]I also think, if it's a question of infants trying to get to sleep, that a portable white noise generator, even at a low volume, would be pretty good at blocking a piano from the next house. From my experience, it's good at blocking at least the high notes.

That's assuming that your to-be-neighbors will be willing to invest in a white noise generator.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Nearest Neighbors: Advice Needed! [Re: BruceD] #1345961
01/10/10 06:18 PM
01/10/10 06:18 PM
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member
ChopinAddict  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

It is good that you intend to talk to them, Jason, but they might not like it if you tell them to buy a white-noise generator... See what they say when you first talk to them and come back here if there are any problems... smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Re: Nearest Neighbors: Advice Needed! [Re: BruceD] #1345968
01/10/10 06:20 PM
01/10/10 06:20 PM
Bay Area, CA
beet31425 Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
beet31425  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member

Bay Area, CA
Originally Posted by BruceD

That's assuming that your to-be-neighbors will be willing to invest in a white noise generator.

In the name of neighborly peace, and my own peace of mind while playing loud chords, I'm happy to spend the $30 to get them a little portable model similar to mine. smile

-Jason

Beethoven op.110, Chopin op.27/2, Liszt Vallée d'Obermann
Re: Nearest Neighbors: Advice Needed! [Re: beet31425] #1346034
01/10/10 07:21 PM
01/10/10 07:21 PM
California
L
limavady Offline
limavady  Offline
L

California
Don't be standing too close when you suggest even buying this for them.

Re: Nearest Neighbors: Advice Needed! [Re: limavady] #1346050
01/10/10 07:36 PM
01/10/10 07:36 PM
♪oron♪o, on♪ario, canada...
pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member
pno  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

♪oron♪o, on♪ario, canada...
Is there a basement in the house? I think putting the piano in the basement should help a lot provided there is climate control (ie. temperature & humidity) in the basement.

♫♫♫ ♫♫♫
YAMAHA C2M PE
Re: Nearest Neighbors: Advice Needed! [Re: pno] #1346070
01/10/10 08:04 PM
01/10/10 08:04 PM
Australia
Canonie Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Canonie  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Australia
beet,
My guess is that unless the volume level is very high, infants wouldn't mind going to sleep to the sound of piano in the background. If they get used to it at an early age they may even need piano to fall asleep smile. I would focus on the parents; open lines of communication so that they feel comfortable enough to let you know if and when there is a problem is the way to prepare for the future.

I'm quite sensitive to noise but if I know a neighbour is listening to my concerns, trying to minimise the carry of sound, giving me defininite cut-off times and sticking to them, I feel relaxed about it. The most stressful thing about noise is having no control over it. I hope that you end up with neighbours who purposely pretend to work in the garden just to enjoy their favourite pieces songs.

My own solution is novel, at last count I teach 5 of my immediate neighbours to play the piano (all kids), and neighbours on 2 sides have hosted concerts for my students (although my students are now too numerous to fit in a house).

Just by the thoughts and efforts you are putting in I predict a happy outcome, good luck. And FWIW I would not like to be offered a white noise generator, somehow this feels invasive, scary, indicative of a big problem (no disrepect to poster of idea, just a person's reaction to the idea in this situation). Try to solve it with lid, covers, windows and timing first. It is amazing how much shutting windows reduces sound, so at night I always shut windows while practising and cover my upright with a pretty throw.

Very excited for you re new piano laugh

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
Re: Nearest Neighbors: Advice Needed! [Re: Canonie] #1346081
01/10/10 08:34 PM
01/10/10 08:34 PM
Bay Area, CA
beet31425 Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
beet31425  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member

Bay Area, CA
Thanks again for the helpful feedback.

pno, no basement: this is a typical flimsy California gingerbread house that might blow away in a strong wind gust.

I see the white noise suggestion is not popular. It does sound scary, but I had a pretty innocuous vision in mind: a small device which at very low levels, in an infant's room in the evening, might neutralize the sound of the piano. But I won't suggest it unless I need to.

gyro, if I buy this piano and it winds up becoming dusty unused furniture, I will use the power of the internet to track you down and give you the piano, as a reward for your perspicacity.

-Jason

Re: Nearest Neighbors: Advice Needed! [Re: beet31425] #1346091
01/10/10 08:48 PM
01/10/10 08:48 PM
W
Wizard of Oz Offline
500 Post Club Member
Wizard of Oz  Offline
500 Post Club Member
W

Thanks again for the helpful feedback.

gyro, if I buy this piano and it winds up becoming dusty unused furniture, I will use the power of the internet to track you down and give you the piano, as a reward for your perspicacity.

-Jason

Forget about giving an acoustic piano to Gyro. In many posts he's said that digital pianos are superior and the acoustic grand will go the way of the dinosaur. He would rather play a synthesizer than a nice Steinway grand.

Re: Nearest Neighbors: Advice Needed! [Re: Gyro] #1346124
01/10/10 09:24 PM
01/10/10 09:24 PM
Radio.Octave Offline
500 Post Club Member
Radio.Octave  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Gyro
...and he would then find
himself living all alone in a big
house with a grand piano that was
hardly being played.

Sounds good to me, except the part about the piano not being played wink

I'm sort of in the same boat as the poster. I rent a house, and the neighbors are only a narrow driveway away. One of the main reasons I HAD to rent a house (and not an apartment) was so I could get a grand piano. I usually play with the lid on short stick, and my windows are almost always closed (central AC). Even with this configuration, the piano can be heard outside. Although, I haven't heard it myself, I've been told it's not very loud. It would be a different story with the windows open though. I try to play at reasonable hours, but no one has complained yet.

Anyway, the best thing to do is probably talk to the neighbors and see if they will have any problems. If they do, just buy them some earplugs laugh

Kawai RX-6 BLAK
Re: Nearest Neighbors: Advice Needed! [Re: ChopinAddict] #1346268
01/10/10 11:24 PM
01/10/10 11:24 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Carey  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Phoenix, Arizona
Per John - "I do and I'm very self conscious about practicing when he's out in his yard. I wait until he goes in because I don't want him to hear me destroying the music."

John - Based on the quality of the performances you've posted on PW I don't think you have anything to be concerned about !!

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Re: Nearest Neighbors: Advice Needed! [Re: Carey] #1346273
01/10/10 11:26 PM
01/10/10 11:26 PM
Haverhill, Massachusetts
J
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member
John Citron  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Thanks... but still you know what I mean. Practicing can drive anyone nutty, and I don't want to subject someone else other than my family to the torture especially if they play as well as they do. smile

John

Re: Nearest Neighbors: Advice Needed! [Re: John Citron] #1346375
01/11/10 01:16 AM
01/11/10 01:16 AM
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Arghhh  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thought I'd counter those who are saying piano won't carry that far. There is just a driveway between my house and the neighbours. Their kids sleep on the second floor, and I play on the first floor, with my upright piano facing the outside wall (only wall I could put the piano on). I thought I didn't have to worry about the sound carrying since I was in a house, by my neighbour came by at 11pm one night complaining I had woken up her kids. And this was winter with all the windows closed!

So now I drive 45min to go to practice at school if I need to practice after 8.

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Disgusted with iTunes. Suggestions for iPhone?
by gooddog. 10/23/18 01:01 AM
Whaletone
by Tyrone Slothrop. 10/23/18 12:36 AM
What do you use to hold loose sheet music up?
by Tyrone Slothrop. 10/23/18 12:22 AM
Bechstein A190
by Bingo55. 10/22/18 11:32 PM
Key Action Roland FP-30 vs Kawai es110
by donfelipes. 10/22/18 10:57 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,944
Posts2,754,831
Members91,316
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission