2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#134579 07/02/01 01:08 PM
P
Pat M Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hello,

I have been looking for a studio piano to learn on and for my wife to play(she already knows how). We have narrowed it down to the aforementioned models. The Petrof sounds warmer, but is a little bit more expensive and potentialy more troublesome from what I have read. The Yamaha dealer said he would have the piano voiced to reduce the brightness at the six month action regulation provided by the Service Bond program as part of the deal. How well do Yamaha's respond to voicing for this? We like both and can afford both, its just the Yamaha is a little bright for our tastes. What do you guys think? Thanks for any information.

Best regards,

Patrick

N
N
Hi, Pat
I am not sure if this will help you in your dicision making. We bought a Petrof 50" upright in 1995. We too were comparing a Petrof and a Yamaha but decided to go with the Petrof because of the warmer and richer sound. We didn't have any trouble with it at all except one string on the bass that was ringing. Once it was fixed, all was well. Hopefully someone knowledgable can tell you more about the Yamaha.
N.P.

Pat,

It depends upon what you're looking for out of this piano. I own the Yamaha model you're looking at (for a little over a year now) and I've been generally satisfied with it although it has needed a couple voicings to soften the tone. It's in a really "live" room with hardwood floors that really accentuates any harshness.

I went into my purchase with the understanding that this is more of a learning instrument rather than my "dream" piano... this I imagine I will reward myself when I become more accomplished and (more importantly) acquire some disposable income! My desire was to become a better pianist without getting a second mortgage, so it was vitally important to get something that had good touch for a reasonable price, if such a thing existed. For me this was the Yamaha. The tone is a little thin compared to the European brands, but they do have a very good feel IMO--my bigger concern--and it has helped my playing very much. For this reason alone I have loved every minute of it and I really think it's a fine instrument to learn on.

Now, if I had more money to spend I would have strongly considered the more expensive Petrof upright. Yes, they may require more prep as a result of being less mass-manufactured than the Yamaha, but you will have a piano that (again, IMO) has a warmer tone which will age much more gracefully than my little Yamaha. From the Petrof owners I've talked to, they have been very impressed with the quality of these instruments.

For what it's worth!

wgh

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission