Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
143 registered members (AlphaBravoCharlie, AssociateX, anotherscott, Balezin Dmitry, ajames, accordeur, Agent88, 30 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
AMEB Grade 6 scales scales and pieces - study buddy anyone? #1338837
01/01/10 09:49 PM
01/01/10 09:49 PM
Australia
Canonie Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Canonie  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member

Australia
Is anyone preparing for AMEB Gr6 (or a nearby exam) for around June this year?

I am wondering if anyone else has found the large number of different scales and arpeggios to be challenging. Maybe it's because being an adult restarter and it takes longer to make neural pathways for scales I never played in my youth. Today's *favourite* was Eb harmonic minor contrary motion crazy

I am preparing well ahead of time so I guess that I will get there eventually. But it occurs to me that there may be others doing this exam, or grade 5 or 7 (Lurkers..?) and we could possibly compare notes on scales and progress on pieces as well. I think you can have up to 6 people on a PM thread.

You can PM me if you like, or feel free to post here about your own challenges. As far as I've noticed exam threads on ABF have dealt with exams up to maybe level of Bach Inventions, so I thought I'd try my luck here first. If there's interest in posting on a public thread in an ongoing way we could move to ABF, as there are some great study threads there.

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: AMEB Grade 6 scales scales and pieces - study buddy anyone? [Re: Canonie] #1338842
01/01/10 09:58 PM
01/01/10 09:58 PM
Australia
LimeFriday Offline
LimeFriday  Offline

Australia
I just sent you a PM. I think it's a great idea. Even though I'm only doing Grade 5 - my exam is May/June - so the timing it right!

I'm finding the same thing - that as an adult - scales I didn't master when I was younger I'm finding it takes longer to perfect them - whereas others seemed to be wired in and take no effort to recall and perfect.

Re: AMEB Grade 6 scales scales and pieces - study buddy anyone? [Re: LimeFriday] #1340349
01/04/10 05:56 AM
01/04/10 05:56 AM
In a big country
Daffodil Offline
Daffodil  Offline

In a big country
I got back into piano a few years back and jumped into grade 7 AMEB. It took me 18 months until I was ready to sit the exam, and for at least the first year I just struggled with the scales! Really, it was only the final four weeks or so before my exam that I finally got those contrary motion black note minors under control, as well as the melodic minors.

Best of luck with your grade 6! It will get easier as you go along.

Daffodil - Onslow's twin.
Hailun 178
Re: AMEB Grade 6 scales scales and pieces - study buddy anyone? [Re: Daffodil] #1341159
01/05/10 03:47 AM
01/05/10 03:47 AM
Australia
Canonie Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Canonie  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member

Australia
Thanks for the response Daffodil. It is some comfort that I am not the only one who finds the contrary motion black note minors...challenging. I jumped in in June, got cold feet (well it was winter), and jumped out again. Serious attempt began in october, but I had been playing around with easier pieces up to gr4 for a few years prior. It's a great feeling to step up to harder repertoire and some real technique. I think I am improving at a much faster rate than if I hadn't committed to an exam, in spite of partly as a result of the scales.

I'd recommend booking a date with destiny (committing to an exam) for anyone who feels stuck in a rut at a certain level, and wants more of a challenge. You can always chicken out of the actual exam, it's the preparation that does you good after all laugh

Our little study group is motivating and fun. As there are only 3 of us (so far) we've decided to chat via PM. Love those flashing red envelopes [Linked Image] Last call for any takers..

Are you planning on doing any more exams daffodil?

Last edited by Canonie; 01/05/10 04:14 AM. Reason: last question

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
Re: AMEB Grade 6 scales scales and pieces - study buddy anyone? [Re: Canonie] #1342655
01/06/10 07:35 PM
01/06/10 07:35 PM
In a big country
Daffodil Offline
Daffodil  Offline

In a big country
I'm hoping to do the AMusA within the next 18 months - I've chosen my four pieces and am very slowly working on them, but I don't have a teacher at the moment. I thought I'd make sure I have a fair knowledge of the pieces first, then go to a very well known (and expensive) teacher to work towards the exam.

Daffodil - Onslow's twin.
Hailun 178
Re: AMEB Grade 6 scales scales and pieces - study buddy anyone? [Re: Daffodil] #1342696
01/06/10 08:38 PM
01/06/10 08:38 PM
Australia
Canonie Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Canonie  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member

Australia
I'd be interested to hear what pieces you have chosen Daffodil. Is there anyone you are working along side of - piano friends or colleagues, informal performance groups? I imagine it would be difficult to work entirely on your own. Although a lot of people on PW do seem to be good at this smile

My experience of more expensive teachers is that they are actually cheaper if you divide the $ by the amount you learn. So good choice I reckon smile

[Linked Image]
Alex Ross.
Re: AMEB Grade 6 scales scales and pieces - study buddy anyone? [Re: Canonie] #1342986
01/07/10 06:22 AM
01/07/10 06:22 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Oz Marcus Offline
Oz Marcus  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
Hi Guys,

I think the idea of a practice group is a good idea. I know of one group of people in Melbourne who have get togethers to play the piano (not quite the same as studying for AMEB exams) and I could put you in touch with one of the members if you were interested.

I am also thinking of sitting my AMusA as well. I would be very interested to know what you are planning on playing Daffodil, and why you chose those pieces. I have been thinking about what I might play for AMusA and I find it a challenging task. There are several things that I like the thought of playing, but building a cohesive program is more challenging.

I have had the experience of having both cheap and expensive teachers. The transition to an 'expensive' teacher was quite an awakening. I had managed to get myself through Grade 8 and discovered that the requirements for AMusA were quite different. Rather than a step up, it requires a leap up in terms of musicality and technique. I found a teacher who was recommended to me to help build my technique and the sad thing is that all he did was largely destroy my confidence. Admittedly, there were other mitigating circumstances at the time, but the experience was largely negative, rather than a nurturing one. After about 18 months with said teacher, I stopped playing for a couple of years. It has only been over the last three years that I have gotten back to the piano, and I am loving it. I have a teacher who is able to help me with the technical aspects that I am hoping to achieve, without crushing my confidence. The only 'downside' is that he is not particularly interested in pushing his students to do AMEB exams. This is a mixed blessing. I think that it takes the stress off practicing and makes the learning more enjoyable, but it does slow progress to some extent (for me) as I dont have any particular time lines to worry about.

Having heard other peoples horror stories of AMusA, I am not sure that i want to experience it either..... but time will tell.

M

Oz Marcus
Currently working on:
Schubert Impromptu in C minor - D899
Chopin Prelude Op28 No 15, nocturne Op48 no 1
Bach Prelude & Fuge WTC II No 12 in F minor
Aspiring to Rautavaara - Piano Sonata 2 - Fire Sermon

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New old guy here; just starting piano journey at 58!
by PianoWVBob. 11/15/18 03:38 PM
One vs. Two-Hnaded Sight Reading
by BbAltered. 11/15/18 01:08 PM
Casio PX-160 or Yamaha P-125 for Beginner
by jediknight. 11/15/18 11:42 AM
Late 19th - early 20th century Pleyel pianos.
by Wckoek. 11/15/18 08:36 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,343
Posts2,761,397
Members91,493
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission