2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
lino Offline OP
OP Offline
L
hi
thank you all for putting your attention to this thread

i would like to ask some suggestion about digital piano
I'm buying my daughter

i have some choices in mind....

yamaha ypg 635 / dgx 630
yamaha P155
Yamaha clavinova CLP 340
roland RD 300GX
roland RD 700GX

the consideration is mainly its touch and feel which resemble more of a true acoustic piano.
thank you all

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
If its touch and feel its got to be the Roland RD700GX

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
K
kdi Offline
K
I been playing for 4 1/2 years and just upgraded to the Roland RD700GX after giving my Yamaha P90 to my grand daughter.

The 700gx is a pro level instrument and I love playing it. Many of its capabilities on the mixing and midi side are simply beyond my knowledge level but I'm learning.

You didn't say if your daughter is a beginner. If so, I'd start w/ something less expensive until your certain she'll stick w/ it.

Best wishes.

J
jis Offline
J
Hi Lino,

I have the DGX 630. If you want good touch-response: Do not buy it! It is a pretty nice keyboard for it's price, but if you want to get serious in playing the piano, the touch-response is not good enough!

I would go for the Roland's or Yamaha CLP, compare the sounds. I like the CLP-piano better than the Roland's., it is much brigther. Play both before you decide.

Good luck on your choice

Jis

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by lino

the consideration is mainly its touch and feel which resemble more of a true acoustic piano.
thank you all

I like the key action and the "ivory" on the RD700GX best. But Roland makes other pianos with the same exact keys. So any Roland with "PHA II with escapement and ivory feel"

As said above the Yamaha has a brighter sound as it is based on a Japanese grand piano. Roland's sound is based on Steinway. But the RD700 allows for a huge range of "piano sounds" so there should be several you like

But you should tell us about your daughter. If she is a six year old beginning student the RD700GX is not a good match. The RD700 would be a bit of overkill for her. Is she 24 years old and in a band? if YES get the RD700. She'll love it. Do tell us about her age and level of playing ability.

For a young beginner any Yamaha with GH key action in the $1K price class would be very good.

Odd that you would list a stage piano like the RD700GX in the same list as a home console like the CLP. How will the piano be used?

Last edited by ChrisA; 01/05/10 09:37 PM.
L
lino Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thank you for all your response

The piano will be used by my six years old daughter, and along with that I am hoping that me too can put a good use to that

The reason I put rd 700 in my choice even though its over my budget limit is because I want a piano substitution that will last a long year. By that I mean it can be used in classical studies past grade 4

The one in my limit is dgx 630, p155, and rd300, also clp340

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Thank you for all your response

The piano will be used by my six years old daughter, and along with that I am hoping that me too can put a good use to that

The reason I put rd 700 in my choice even though its over my budget limit is because I want a piano substitution that will last a long year. By that I mean it can be used in classical studies past grade 4

The one in my limit is dgx 630, p155, and rd300, also clp340

That age of "six" was a guess. I'll stick with what I wrote above then.
"For a young beginner any Yamaha with GH key action in the $1K price class would be very good."

That would mean the P155, But if you have the budget the clp340 has a slightly better key action and much improved speakers and amp but is otherwise about the same. You can get a stand for the P155 that is mechanically about the same as the CLP's stand but charcoal grey. The speakers inside the P155 are OK for practice volume but not much more

L
lino Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Is it true that clp 340 is overall a better instrument than p155
Because I read the yamahamusician.co.uk says that p155 is the same feature as clp340 plus its portability.

L
L
Maybe they're defining features as things like the 50 songs. Both have the same specs in most areas but as just mentioned the speakers (and console probably helps the sound like a speaker cabinet)40w compared to 12w per channel on the p155 and the weighted GH3 action on the clp340

V
V
The CLP 340 is definitely the best choice from your list of pianos that are within your budget.
The Roland RD700GX is still better tho, IMO, but it doesn't have any speakers, and I think it would very very much an overkill for a beginner. Also, it has many, many features, besides the basic piano ones, which your daughter wouldn't need for a quite long time, if ever!
If you are certain that you are bothe going to play the piano, I say, go for the CLP340, but if you aren't certain, go for the P155.
Also, you maybe should try some other manufacturers pianos also, like Kawai (the CA series has wooden keys and its only purpouse is piano), or other Rolands, like the HP204, which has the same keys as the RD700GX, except for the matte finish.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Is it true that clp 340 is overall a better instrument than p155
Because I read the yamahamusician.co.uk says that p155 is the same feature as clp340 plus its portability.

When you listen to a digital piano you are hearing speakers they matter a lot the CLP has much better speakers then the P155. With headphones I think the CLP and 155 would sound a lot alike. But if listening using speakers, their quality and size matters alot.

But you can always buy a great speaker system an add it to any DP. But expect to pay at least $500 for monitor speakers if you want them to be beter then the CLP's built-in speakers.

One more thing. Don't plan on any DP as a life time investment. Think of a DP as being just like a computer. Something you use for awhile then notice the new ones are better and reasonably affordable so you upgrade.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission