2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 10 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
#1341774 01/05/10 07:48 PM
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Can someone please tell me why folks are so interested in historical tunings when many out there can't set an equal temperament worth it's name, set a pin, stretch an octave and basically tune a piano that will stay tuned.

Is it the 'next big thing' to distract us away from getting excellent at the basic task in hand...?

I can understand the mystique and the 'Oh goodness me, so you tune historical tunings, you must be SO good' aspects of this....but lets get real here...

There is no doubt that historical tunings play a valuable role in understanding why things were written the way they were and to many ears give a more pleasant rendering of a given piece....but come on you beginners out there...and you 'improvers'....learn to tune solidly first...do that for a long time...internalize the process...then starts to mess with the esoteric stuff.

Glad that's off my chest....thought it was the dodgy burrito I had for lunch at the 'roach coach'....but i feel much better now....

Peter Sumner
Concert Piano Technician

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Stuart Isacoff gives a great presentation I think everyone should hear.
His book "The Temperment" is a great read.

Ed Foote has a great presentation I would like to hear.

It has been said, 70% of the skill set for tuning is Hammer Technique.

I say, the other 30% is better understood learning all the temperaments.

It is all part and parcel of the the same skill.

And, I think, it gives the equal temperament a more distinct feel to have experienced the alternatives.

my 2.5 cents

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/EJBuckPerformances
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
The roach coach? Sounds like the "grease trucks" back in college, dispensing burgers that only a college student could keep down

Happy new year!

Zeno Wood, Piano Technician
Brooklyn College
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Can someone please tell me why folks are so interested in historical tunings when many out there can't set an equal temperament worth it's name, set a pin, stretch an octave and basically tune a piano that will stay tuned.

A historical tuning is by definition a tuning which is not equal temperament, the pins are not set, the octaves are not tuned properly, that will not stay tuned.

Semipro Tech
J
JBE Offline
J
It's called freedom to choose what one does with ones own time.

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
byronje3, freedom is worth dying for....

I'm not interested in bird watching, stamp collecting or what folks do in their spare time....it's what a customer pays for that bothers me....a tuning that is unstable is worthless....and so is the tuner who charges good money for providing that sort of service....historical tuning are a distraction unless you have a bullet proof technique...too many out there are not paying their dues with the basic structure of the business...and tuning is but a part of a much more ugly picture.

Peter Sumner
Concert Piano Technician

J
JBE Offline
J
I know, I hear you but it's not like they're out robbing banks and beating up little old ladies. I don't know how well someone tunes until I hear it for myself.
It can all be a learning experience. I thought I was all excited about Werckmeister and Kirnberger tunings for a very short time until I realized that some music just sounds like crap with them. I'll stick to good old ET. I personally find satisfaction in doing a good, solid, anatomically correct ET with octaves and unisons just the way I like them.

Lately I've been wasting my time learning about, listening to, and programming binaural beats. I don't mean the stuff with all the new age gobbly guk music added to it, just the raw beats. What does this have to do with piano tuning you ask?
Listening to a certain frequency of binaural beats relaxes the brain after a day of tuning and slows it down for sleep.
This can be a great tool for piano tuners. The better your sense of hearing the more powerful the experience.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB

A historical tuning is by definition a tuning which is not equal temperament, the pins are not set, the octaves are not tuned properly, that will not stay tuned.

I disagree. Historical tunings, by definition do not include "poor pin setting"

I will admit to only minimal experience with Historical temperaments. The small experience I have had does make me wish I had more time to explore them. Stuart Isacoff's presentation is nothing short of stunning.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
I'll stick to 30 year old Laphroig....relaxes my brain just fine...sleep is no problem...
Now let me see...
One binaural beat..
two binaural beats
three binaural beats
four binaural beats....

I think I see what you mean.....woops....no, it's someone knocking at the door....

Peter Sumner
Concert Piano Technician

J
JBE Offline
J
Originally Posted by Larry Buck
Originally Posted by BDB

That's funny. "poor pin setting"...NO. "Octaves not tuned properly and will not stay tuned"......well,OK maybe.

I think....that possibly, BDB was just being cheeky with that statement....then again, maybe not.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by byronje3
Originally Posted by Larry Buck
Originally Posted by BDB

I think....that possibly, BDB was just being cheeky with that statement....then again, maybe not.

I completely missed BDB's "twist" ....

Thanks

Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ha! Peter, good joke!

Tuning is a little like being a pizza maker... You can be a great pizza maker at one place and not have a clue how to make a pizza at the next place. Now, not to diss your kinda pizza, but there's a lot more out there than that good new-fashioned ET.

There's plenty of crap ET tuners out there, ('specially those aural ones) why don't you go pick on them?

Howzthat for stirring up the hornet's nest?!?

Ron Koval
chicagoland

Piano/instrument technician
www.ronkoval.com

B
BDB Offline
B
Actually, there are plenty of historical references to pianos going out of tune during a single concert, including concerts where there were two pianos on stage for one pianist. The pianist would play one piece, and then switch to the other piano while the first was retuned and repaired, as necessary.

Semipro Tech
S
S
Because it is FUN! smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You know what? Whoever wants to tune whatever method they like, go for it. What matters most is the final sound of the piano and setting the pins properly so the piano stays put. If someone likes the EBVT method, fine. ET method, fine. Whatever stirs your bean pot.

On the other hand, if you can't tune or set pins worth a crap and never could? That's not fine. Learn how or change jobs. None of these tunings will work for you because the piano will not stay no matter what tuning method you use.

Maybe I just stirred up some more hornets? Killer bee's? grin

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
J
JBE Offline
J
Yeah, but you're not out charging people to experiment on their pianos, so it's OK. I'm not sure who Peter was referring to. Maybe there are some goons running amok in the Redwoods with their ETD's set on Schmergusborger or whatever.

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
bryronje3....
I'm not really referring to anyone particular when I make comments about either historical tunings or bad technique....
Sure there are 'theoretical tuners' in these pages that can spout about all manner of math....most of which I forgot the day the college door closed behind me...I am, however, a perennial student of voicing, regulation, tone and good tuning, and it is obvious to me that some out there use their time to study other temperaments, at the expense, in some cases, of the quality of the 'bread and butter' work...

Someone once said that in order to be successful you need to learn how to do something well and then keep on doing it....

I don't think it's an overstatement to observe the number of 'theoretical' variety in these pages and consider it might be diluting the standards professionals should adhere to.

Some may be enthusiastic amateurs....some may not ever see a client....but isn't a rock solid tuning that brings a piano to life the best service we can offer?
If you can do an historical temperament and leave it solid through Rach 3 I'll follow you anywhere....but, I ask myself, why would anyone do an historic temperament for Rach 3.

Right now I believe I'm talking to myself which I blame entirely on Laphroig....I wonder what will happen when I actually drink some??

Peter Sumner
Concert Piano Technician

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
No, actually, I tend to agree with you Peter. I don't even read the math crap posted in here. The mathematical rumblings going on in here seem almost more of who knows more about math than they actually do about tuning and setting pins. I begin to wonder, who's trying to prove what?

Wouldn't it be interesting to see what kind of tunings these same people can do and how long they would last?

I for one, have heard Bill Bremmer's tunings in person. i worked with him on a tuning at the last convention. He has a good ear and can do a very nice job of tuning.

That's my opinion on it anyway.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Thanks Jer...
Often thought of a 'tune off"....then a pound the crap out of them to see which stays in tune...

I'm in...

Who's buying the beer?

Hope you're keeping warm up there :-(

Peter Sumner
Concert Piano Technician

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
If you're ever in this neck of the woods, drop in and find out what our weather is like! Just be sure to bring along your winter bear coat!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission