2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,235 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Canonie
On behalf of Ferdinand and myself, thank you [Linked Image] (have been waiting a long time for chance to use that smiley. I hope to use it again when, one day in the distant future, I post a recording - now That is True Cleverness [Linked Image] )

And gooddog, you are welcome!

Um... are you... eating the flowers?

-Jason

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
you are right! it does look like that, oh dear. I was hoping it looked more like joyful acceptance of well earned applause, blowing kisses and being showered with roses. The kind of thing that happens on most weekends to we fine musicians... you know...

Actually rose petals can be delicious in a cool summer drink with fresh (not Meyer) lemon juice, a tiny bit of rind and sugar in iced water. But my lemon tree and my red rose have only leaves just now.

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by MarkCannon

....when I was young I remembered all phone numbers by their interval pattern...

Me too, and I can still remember those numbers.
BTW.....it almost always gets a laugh if you show someone how they can sing their number. ha

Long ago, I was able to recognize what number was being dialed on a rotary phone by ear. (at least the one in our house)

This telephone tone generator is pretty cool - my phone number as a kid sounds just like I remember it smile

http://www.dialabc.com/sound/generate/

"Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here!" J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, 1997.

[Linked Image]
L
L
Originally Posted by foxyw
This telephone tone generator is pretty cool - my phone number as a kid sounds just like I remember it smile

http://www.dialabc.com/sound/generate/

I don't need to use this link...I still use a rotary phone!!

(That's how weird I am!)

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by lauralei
I don't need to use this link...I still use a rotary phone!!
(That's how weird I am!)

I think you win the award. ha

I'm a lot into old-time stuff too -- it's sort of just by accident that I have a microwave -- but I need touch tone. Y'know, "For English press 1" and stuff like that. smile

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Better weird than dumb

J
J
Just stepping in the conversation...
Have you ever noticed how people say that we have to be ourselves, everybody is different, etc...
But in fact, they want everybody to be the same?
Those people seems perfectly happy...they find everything they need at Walmart (or other big stores), they like the music everywhere they go, their favorite movies are easy to find, etc... I am not like that but can find a lot of people like this in my family.

What I do not like: people in their own comfort zone, only interested in what they already do.

What I like: listening to someone passionate about something and talking about it (even if I do not share the same passion).

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
you are right! it does look like that, oh dear. I was hoping it looked more like joyful acceptance of well earned applause, blowing kisses and being showered with roses. The kind of thing that happens on most weekends to we fine musicians... you know...

Actually rose petals can be delicious in a cool summer drink with fresh (not Meyer) lemon juice, a tiny bit of rind and sugar in iced water. But my lemon tree and my red rose have only leaves just now.

I think hippies eat flowers? Or maybe not... [Linked Image]
Congratulations on becoming a 500-post member! I hope I will join the club soon...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Juli_et
What I like: listening to someone passionate about something and talking about it (even if I do not share the same passion).

I think you'll agree that there are a lot of folks to like here at PW. It's just too bad we live so far away from one another.

Best regards,

Deborah
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
For everyone who posted to this thread, here is your assignment:

http://ignite.oreilly.com/2009/07/alexis-bauer-on-how-to-work-a-crowd.html

Watch it and start practicing -- and I don't mean piano!

(This includes me! smile )

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
Originally Posted by gooddog

I think you'll agree that there are a lot of folks to like here at PW. It's just too bad we live so far away from one another.

Has anyone ever discussed a PIANO WORLD meeting/conference? ...with masterclasses, performance opportunities... etc.? grin

Gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MaryBee

That was really worth a look. I'm going to forward it to my socially awkward sons! That's right! I'm even breeding weird!

Originally Posted by P I A N O piano
Has anyone ever discussed a PIANO WORLD meeting/conference? ...with masterclasses, performance opportunities... etc.? grin
I believe Frank has gotten involved in some get togethers. I imagine it would be very involved and it wouldn't solve the distance problem - at least until one of us weirdos develops "transporters".

Best regards,

Deborah
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gooddog

Actually, my other dweeby online habit is chess - the club I belong to has annual tournaments (in person that is). They tend to be fairly local: the UK crew meets at a pub in London, the Canadian crew meets at a pub in Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal or Vancouver, the Yanks meeting in NYC etc...... could work here if there was sufficient interest.

Justin
-------
Bach English Suite #5
Scarlatti Sonata K141 . L422
Mozart Sonata K333
Schubert Impromptu opus 90 D899
Schubert Moment Musicaux opus 94 D780

Great idea, I think.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Edit: when I was young I remembered all phone numbers by their interval pattern, and even had a theory that the nicest ppl had the most musical phone numbers.

I memorize phone numbers by their pattern on the keypad.
And that's not weird!

Nice limerick, BTW!

Mary Bee
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EltonRach

I see the youths dressed up in goth, those with body piercings, men with 14 mistresses and counting, politicians who serve their own self interests, religious leaders who dress in a gown and wear a peculiar hat, those who drive around in circles on a karting track as a hobby, a wine lover who only drinks pinot noir and those who play the piano but only the digital, those who play the piano but only the acoustic, those who play the piano but only classical, those who play the piano but only non-classical . . . So I know I'm surrounded my many different weird people pursuing their weird hobbies !!!!

The world is full of weirdos. But in some respects - long may it stay that way !!

I agree! I believe that there is something interesting about everyone, we just have to figure out how to find out what those interesting things are. (Hence my link to the Ignite video a few posts above.)

BTW, my sister-in-law, who is an M.D., is jealous of my job, because I get to work with nerds/geeks all the time. smile

Mary Bee
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I memorize all dates.... I never have to write down an appointment or a birthday. Is that weird? I am less good with names though.
Also, I am the only one in town who doesn't get a tan, not even in summer. frown Is that weird?

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by MaryBee

So that's why total strangers start talking to me in the grocery checkout line, (or the bus, or basically any situation where I am trapped, like in the adjacent seat at a concert). I knew there was something weird going on, and now I know: they're just practicing on me. Still, it's weird. I mean, it's not as if I signed up to be their practice buddy somewhere. And it's not like they really want to talk with me. I'm just a surrogate until they corner the person in whom they are really interested. It's like I am the digital piano the pianist works on until they get a real piano. smile

See, told you - I'm weird.

wr #1342042 01/06/10 03:44 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Unfortunately this happens to me too, and I have to take off the earphones, give up Chopin and play my weirdo role at the bus stop or in the queue.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission