Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
120 registered members (AnnInMiami, cardguy2.0, belcanto2, anotherscott, Bass3645789, ando, Amedeus, 27 invisible), 1,785 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Differences of various Piano Adventures Series? #1337195
12/30/09 03:53 PM
12/30/09 03:53 PM
Massachusetts
N
Nguyen Offline OP
Nguyen  Offline OP
N

Massachusetts
Hi everyone,

Keystring et al., I apologize if you get this twice. I posted this question over in the Teacher Forum, but I’d also like to hear your opinion as well. We have a large group here with rich experience and knowledge. It’s a blessing to hear all your voices.

Anyway, I have been self-learning the Alfred Adult series and would like to supplement that with another method. I have read some good reviews on Piano Adventures by Faber & Faber. The problem is there are 4 different Piano Adventures series available.

1 – My First Piano Adventures – For the Very Young, (5-6 yrs old)
2 – Primer Piano Adventures – Main course for Young Beginners?
3 – Accelerated Piano Adventures – For Older Beginners, young Adults
4 – Adult Piano Adventures – For Adult Beginners

My goal & focus is to learn from basics. My question is what are the differences in these series? Why wouldn’t a true Beginner go for the Main Course – Primer Adventures? Are the Accelerated and Adult series cover basics as the Primer? What are the benefits of us Adults study from the Adult Books?

Some thinks the differences are song selections to target different age groups. Others point out maybe the Accelerated & Adult series skip some basics, speed up the process, to emphasize Repertoires and satisfy our grown-up needs for playing something soon, rather than taking a student step by step from the ground up.

What do you think is a better approach if one would like build a solid musical foundation thoroughly? Repertoire is nice, but he isn’t rushing, doesn’t mind to wait until it’s the right time.

The Alfred Adult Course that I’ve been working on is great. I really like it. I’d like to go back and review when I’m done with Level I, and supplement my review with a Piano Adventures method. Right now, I’m leaning toward the Main Course – Primer Piano Adventures for the young beginner. Before I order though, I’d like to know what you think. Hope my question makes sense; I did my best to make it as short as possible.

Thanks,
Nguyen

Last edited by Nguyen; 12/30/09 05:10 PM.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Differences of various Piano Adventures Series? [Re: Nguyen] #1338466
01/01/10 01:02 PM
01/01/10 01:02 PM
Bucuresti, Romania
R
ROMagister Offline
500 Post Club Member
ROMagister  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R

Bucuresti, Romania
The 2. (normal) series for kids has the following levels: Primer, 1,2A,2B,3A,3B,4,5
The Primer looks like designed for 6-8 year old total beginners.

1. My First Piano Adventures has 3 sub-levels (A,B,C) all replacing the Primer. the kid succeeding in them can continue to normal level 1, 2A...

3. The Accelerated series has 2 booklets, designed to be less 'babyish'.
Accelerated 1 = normal Primer + 1
Accelerated 2 = normal 2A+2B
meant to continue with normal 3A, 3B, 4, 5.

4. The Adult series has :
All-in-One Book 1 ~ normal Primer+1+2A
All-in-One Book 2 ~ normal 2B+3A+3B
meant to continue with 'The Repertoire' at late-intermediate level, or commercial 'Easy Piano' sheets (which aren't really that easy).

Normal Faber levels are slightly easier than adult Alfred levels. Depending on where the difficulty/block-point in Alfred is, you may want Faber Adult book 1 or 2.
The Primer only if you got blocked with VERY simple stuff.

Re: Differences of various Piano Adventures Series? [Re: ROMagister] #1339172
01/02/10 12:06 PM
01/02/10 12:06 PM
Massachusetts
N
Nguyen Offline OP
Nguyen  Offline OP
N

Massachusetts
Thanks ROMagister for the kind explanation. I think I'm going the easy route Primer method.

Best,
Nguyen

Nguyen - Student Pianist
Re: Differences of various Piano Adventures Series? [Re: Nguyen] #1339829
01/03/10 12:47 PM
01/03/10 12:47 PM
Bucuresti, Romania
R
ROMagister Offline
500 Post Club Member
ROMagister  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R

Bucuresti, Romania
Please tell us your impressions when you get the Primer and subsequent materials !

Also, beware that the standard kids' route (what I numbered as 2.) needs separate booklets for each level: Lessons, Technic, Theory, graded Repertoire.

I'm currently somewhat-blocked near level 2B-3A. The kind of multitasking-overload that is difficult to DO to overcome in real-time, as opposed to talking-about and analysing. It's triggered if cumulating elements more difficult than my current 'comfort level': key signatures, polyphony, or just fast tempo in general.

My natural shortcuts were very effective at Primer-Level 1, but much less later, becoming 'long-cuts'. I don't know what improved re-practice at these levels would help reduce the blocks later (except just giving confidence).

Re: Differences of various Piano Adventures Series? [Re: ROMagister] #1339912
01/03/10 02:09 PM
01/03/10 02:09 PM
Massachusetts
N
Nguyen Offline OP
Nguyen  Offline OP
N

Massachusetts
Originally Posted by ROMagister
Please tell us your impressions when you get the Primer and subsequent materials!

Also, beware that the standard kids' route (what I numbered as 2.) needs separate booklets for each level: Lessons, Technic, Theory, graded Repertoire.

I'm currently somewhat-blocked near level 2B-3A. The kind of multitasking-overload that is difficult to DO to overcome in real-time, as opposed to talking-about and analysing. It's triggered if cumulating elements more difficult than my current 'comfort level': key signatures, polyphony, or just fast tempo in general.

My natural shortcuts were very effective at Primer-Level 1, but much less later, becoming 'long-cuts'. I don't know what improved re-practice at these levels would help reduce the blocks later (except just giving confidence).

I chuckle reading your post ROMagister. You’re funny smile Yes, I realized there are Separate Books for Lessons, Theory, Technique and Popular Repertoire. I wish there’s an AIO series but I guess it’s intended this way for sales volume purposes. I will definitely keep you and everyone posted if interested.

Thanks again,
Nguyen

Nguyen - Student Pianist
Re: Differences of various Piano Adventures Series? [Re: Nguyen] #1339921
01/03/10 02:20 PM
01/03/10 02:20 PM
Massachusetts
N
Nguyen Offline OP
Nguyen  Offline OP
N

Massachusetts
FYI – The following is another invaluable explanation of the Faber & Faber’s Piano Adventures series responded to my same question over the Teacher Forum.

Best,
Nguyen,

“[Open quote] by Volusiano

Hi Nguyen,

I have all the Faber lesson books because my daughter is a piano teacher and uses the Faber books for her lessons. Her students range from as young as 4 years old to teenagers to adults.

Your assessment of the different Faber series is pretty much correct, except that you missed the biggest series of all, the "Basic". The Primer series is just a precursor for a young beginner (age 6-10'ish) to start out before moving on to the Basic Level 1, 2a, 2b, 3a, 3b, 4 and 5. The Accellerated series has 2 books. Book 1 is equivalent to the Primer + Basic 1, and book 2 is equivalent to Basic 2a + 2b. The Accellerated series is designed to appeal more to teenagers in case they consider the Basic series kiddies' books and don't want to be associated with learning from kiddies' books. But my daughter tried it out (the Accellerated) and doesn't like it, so she prefers to use the Basic series on her teenagers students as well.

I'm a beginner myself and have recently completed the 2 Adult series books on my own. I could have had my daughter teach me for free, but I'm a self learner and like to go at my own pace. The Adult series 1 is equivalent to Basic 1 through 2b, and Adult 2 covers pretty much the rest (equivalent to Basic 3a through 5).

I don't think any of these books "skip" any basic materials. Maybe the Accellerated and Adult series are more condensed in presentation and have more mature-oriented music pieces, and taught at a faster pace with less drills and exercises. But they're fairly complete themselves. Each of the Basic level has several separate books for Lesson, Theory, Techniques, Performance, Popular Repertoires, etc, while the Adult books condense these areas into Chapters so have less materials per se, but still cover all the basics nevertheless.

My daughter prefers to put her teenage and even adult students through the Basic series all the same, instead of using the Accellerated or Adult series on them just because the Basic is more thorough and has more materials and exercises. I myself started out with the Basic 1 books, but found that I'd prefer to be self-taught and just get to the "meat" of things and move on quickly. So I switched to the Adult books. But now that I'm done with the Adults books, I'm going back through all the levels of the Basic series' Performance and Popular Repertoires books to get more practice materials out of them before I start trying out real-world pieces.

So if you want to be thorough, use the Basic. If you want faster pace, use the Adult. Keep in mind that you'll need to buy a lot (30+) of $7-$8 lesson books if you go with the Basic, while you'd only have to buy 2 $22 lesson books for the Adult. [End quote]"

Nguyen - Student Pianist
Re: Differences of various Piano Adventures Series? [Re: Nguyen] #1340314
01/04/10 03:27 AM
01/04/10 03:27 AM
Bucuresti, Romania
R
ROMagister Offline
500 Post Club Member
ROMagister  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R

Bucuresti, Romania

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Purchased Baldwin R Grand. What to expect...
by Ecogirl2206. 11/17/18 06:08 PM
Great pianists who don't/didn't play Liszt
by pianoloverus. 11/17/18 05:54 PM
DP around $ 1000
by orangeman. 11/17/18 05:51 PM
Wilhelm Grotrian WGS-165
by jarobi. 11/17/18 01:51 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,386
Posts2,762,025
Members91,513
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission