2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (20/20 Vision, brdwyguy, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Canonie
Withoutyou, effort is readily discarded [Linked Image]

'31425' - it's not the first movement of any beethoven sonata (?) Should I check other movements?

"withoutyou"... heh....

You give me too much cleverness credit on my moniker. (Although my computer password used to be 30e31ab32cm, the key signatures of the last three Beethoven sonatas.)

No, the 31425 is the old security key (no longer used) in the mathematics department when I was a grad student. The corresponding mnemonic was "pi and a quarter". smile

-Jason

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

I wish I could find this T-shirt...
Or maybe one with this image:
[Linked Image]

Or this:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
31425 is the first movement of Beethoven's Op. 110 sonata.

And on the computer password subject, when I was in college, I used kdkdkdkkdkkdk (a rhythm and sticking we used in drumline in high school.)

Originally Posted by beet31425

'31425' - it's not the first movement of any beethoven sonata (?) Should I check other movements?

"withoutyou"... heh....

You give me too much cleverness credit on my moniker. (Although my computer password used to be 30e31ab32cm, the key signatures of the last three Beethoven sonatas.)

No, the 31425 is the old security key (no longer used) in the mathematics department when I was a grad student. The corresponding mnemonic was "pi and a quarter". smile

-Jason

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Made my day smile I knew it would have to be there somewhere, but in my quick skim of the beethoven index i read 3111425, forgetting to apply redundancy rule. My research was flawed; clearly I'll never make a good scientist. I applaud the master Kreisler. [Linked Image]

Beet, your key sig computer password is Very good. Pi is making me hungry now...

Originally Posted by Kreisler

And on the computer password subject, when I was in college, I used kdkdkdkkdkkdk (a rhythm and sticking we used in drumline in high school.)

"withoutyou"... heh....

-Jason

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
I know this seems random, but how many of you remember Mystery Science Theater 3000? If you play piano AND loved watching this then you are really weird! smile

31425 is the first movement of Beethoven's Op. 110 sonata......

Hey, it is!
I was wondering also what that might be.
Even if it wasn't really anything. smile
I realized it was similar to pi, but didn't think of "pi and a quarter."

BTW......as you might know, it's also sort of the beginning of the fugue, provided you're willing to "assume" the initial 3 as a gimme, or else stick it at the end. smile
And it's most definitely the inversion of the opening of the 2nd fugue.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by MarkCannon
as you might know, it's also sort of the beginning of the fugue...

Wow. I'm kind of shocked. Op. 110 isn't just any sonata to me; it's *the* Beethoven sonata that dominated months of my high school life; it has certain moments (first movement trills in the left hand; third movement sequence of G major chords) that felt like personal messages from Beethoven to me. (Presumptuous, OK, but I was young! smile ) Its fugue theme permeated my subconscious and influenced that semester's compositions.

There are strange coincidences which some people (Jung?) would say are not coincidences. Why was I drawn to that sequence of numbers years later in grad school? Why did I remember them, long after the locks to the doors they opened were torn off? Why did I choose, for my Piano World moniker, to combine them with-- of all things-- beet?

The world, and the mind, is mysterious. And I'm generally a skeptic! Thanks guys for the discovery.

-Jason

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

Wow. I'm kind of shocked. Op. 110 isn't just any sonata to me; it's *the* Beethoven sonata that dominated months of my high school life...

Not just any sonata for me. The Op. 110 was the first late Beethoven sonata I recall hearing... I must have been around 14 or so. I still remember following the score, and it was Wilhelm Backhaus playing. When the first fugue began, I quite vividly remember thinking... 'what is going on here?' Rest is history.

So I am not the only one who made their late Beethoven debut with the Op. 110? The Missa Solemnis came years later -long after the rest of the Beethoven sonatas, symphonies, concertos and a few string quartets- but methinks I'm still not quite ready for it. There is something very enigmatic about this mass setting, and acquaintance with the neighboring 9th symphony is no ticket to ride. The Missa stands alone, I think it Beethoven's most challenging work, and to those who think they have it in stride... beware false prophets.

Jason

as you might know, it's also sort of the beginning of the fugue...

Wow. I'm kind of shocked. Op. 110 isn't just any sonata to me; it's *the* Beethoven sonata that dominated months of my high school life; it has certain moments....that felt like personal messages from Beethoven to me.....Its fugue theme permeated my subconscious and influenced that semester's compositions.....
The world, and the mind, is mysterious. And I'm generally a skeptic! Thanks guys for the discovery.....

"Wow" is right!
I was figuring this was just a remarkable coincidence, notwithstanding your having "Beethoven" in your chosen user name. But it looks like you're figuring there might have been something unconscious or subliminal going on -- and if you think so, then I do too.
BTW this is a shrink speaking. smile

P.S. Numbers often have a musical connotation or association to me, even when I'm not aware of it. (For example, I sometimes sort of "sing" phone numbers to myself, if they're singable, which most are, and often without realizing it.) Maybe to some extent that's the case for you also, and if so -- considering the significance of Op. 110 for you, it's probably likely that at some level, "31425" had a special ring for you.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by foxyw

This is my favorite chemistry song and it involves piano too smile

Tom Lehrer - The Element Song

I am not a scientist, but do I qualify to be among the science-leaning group if I majored in mathematics? At any rate I am proud to say I earned my degree at the university where Tom Lehrer was a professor.
You all did know he is a mathematician, right?

Originally Posted by Ferdinand
I am not a scientist, but do I qualify to be among the science-leaning group if I majored in mathematics? At any rate I am proud to say I earned my degree at the university where Tom Lehrer was a professor.
You all did know he is a mathematician, right?

I think even those of us who knew tend to forget. smile

BTW -- since you're in CA, I imagine you mean Santa Cruz? I understand that was a cool place. And of course probably still is. smile
A girl I was going with (sort of) in college left and transferred to Santa Cruz. I took it personally. ha

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Wow. I'm kind of shocked. Op. 110 isn't just any sonata to me; it's *the* Beethoven sonata that dominated months of my high school life; it has certain moments (first movement trills in the left hand; third movement sequence of G major chords) that felt like personal messages from Beethoven to me.

Wow, maybe you will consider submitting it for the LvB 240th Birthday SonataFest in December! smile

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzyprof

Wow. I'm kind of shocked. Op. 110 isn't just any sonata to me; it's *the* Beethoven sonata that dominated months of my high school life; it has certain moments (first movement trills in the left hand; third movement sequence of G major chords) that felt like personal messages from Beethoven to me.

Wow, maybe you will consider submitting it for the LvB 240th Birthday SonataFest in December! smile

Thanks for the push, and I'm glad you're organizing this thing. But (a) I worked it up 20 years ago; and (b) as I posted on a random personal goals thread a few months back, I've got some muscle healing and technique rehabilitation to go through. It's going to be a long process. I aim to post that sonata here some day, but probably not in 2010. smile

-Jason

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Jason, best wishes for rapid healing of those muscles!

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
1RC Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hahah, a forum full of the weird kids laugh

Yeah I'm pretty sure I was considered an oddball as well, went through a lonely sort of period... But I've gotten decent at being able to relate to a wide spectrum of people, finding a commonality somewhere, somehow. It may not be the same topic, but most people have something they love as much as we love music. Or some interesting thing going on in their lives. Other times it can be surprising what interesting turns a conversation that starts on something as prosaic as grocery shopping can take.

Originally Posted by bachchica
Half the time I have no idea what they're talking about, and the other half of the time they don't know what I'm talking about. C'est la vie!

...Other times I get this too, lol! Especially with TV (a common theme here), I usually try and steer the topic elsewhere but some people watch A LOT of TV.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Jason, best wishes for your technique rehab from me too. No doubt you'll need lots of patience

I have to ask, are you telling us that the "beet" in your name never refered to beethoven? I always assumed it did, but PW names (and pics) can be misleading....

Edit: speaking of numbers, it looks like I am about to tip into the 500 club [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
Jason....I have to ask, are you telling us that the "beet" in your name never refered to beethoven? I always assumed it did...

I'm still assuming it does. I figured he meant just that the "31425" didn't. (Or rather that he didn't realize it did!)

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Jason....I have to ask, are you telling us that the "beet" in your name never refered to beethoven? I always assumed it did...

I'm still assuming it does. I figured he meant just that the "31425" didn't. (Or rather that he didn't realize it did!)

Sorry for the confusion: Yes, "beet" was an intentional reference to Mr. Van Beethoven; it's just the "31425" that had no musical meaning. So I thought....

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by argerichfan
The Missa Solemnis came years later- long after the rest of the Beethoven sonatas, symphonies, concertos and a few string quartets- but methinks I'm still not quite ready for it. There is something very enigmatic about this mass setting... The Missa stands alone, I think it Beethoven's most challenging work

I agree with this completely. By the time I was done with high school, I was pretty familiar with the late sonatas and late string quartets. (I have a very clear memory of visiting colleges with the Große Fugue whirling through my head.) But I didn't begin to crack the Missa for another 10 years, and even now it's... big and complicated and sort of hard to not get lost in. Imagine you were the size of an ant, and you were wandering over the score, trying to make sense of these enormous black smudges and lines. Revelation hovering just out of scope. It's a little like that for me.

-Jason

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Now I have something to work for, a new goal, albeit not so close right now I guess...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission