2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (20/20 Vision, brdwyguy, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
OP Offline
E
Hi All, thanks for a great forum, lots of great information from some very experienced musicians.

I am about to start playing piano again and want to buy a digital piano. I was planning on getting a Yamaha YDP140 or 160 (I really like the YDP223 but don't want to spend so much money at the moment). I have an opportunity to pick up a used Casio PX800 for around $600. I am primarily interested in the piano sound but I do like the chorus feature on the Casio boards. I understand that the Casio PX800 is now discontinued and is being replaced by the P130/P330. Does anyone have any words of advice as to which of these pianos might be the best choice. Many thanks.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
English Paul,
The PX-800 is going to be replaced by the PX-830. According to Mike Martin of Casio it is supposed to be available in early 2010. Not sure if it will be on display at NAMM. The PX-130/330 are both stage pianos. The differences between these and the PX-800 are the 4 layer piano samples and improved keyboard action on the PX-130/330. There have been reports of problems with the keybeds on the new models. There have been complaints of depressed/sticking keys, as well as alignment issues where the keys rub against each other causing clicking sounds. Difficult to say how widespread these issues are.

PX-800 uses the older action and piano sample. It has the AIF sound source with 128 polyphony like the PX-130/330. This model has received good ratings from those who own it. It has more sounds on it than the PX 830 will have when it finally becomes available. It also has a 40 watt amplifier and has very good sound. Yamaha YDP 160 is also a solid piano with nice touch and good piano sound. It does cost more the the PX-800. If you want a console piano the PX-800 is a good choice. It will cost less than the Yamaha and is of good quality.

Last edited by galaxy4t; 01/03/10 02:33 AM.
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by English Paul
Hi All, thanks for a great forum, lots of great information from some very experienced musicians.

I am about to start playing piano again and want to buy a digital piano. I was planning on getting a Yamaha YDP140 or 160 (I really like the YDP223 but don't want to spend so much money at the moment).

Of the Yamahas, the YDP160 and 223 both have the better "GH" key action. The 140 has the "GHS" action. I just bought a P155. It has the same GH action as the 160/223 but has newer sound technology inside. It also costs less than the YDP160. I also did not like the way the YDP160's controls are designed.

Comparing Yamaha to Casio, The pianos with GH acton are all around better than any Casio.Of the current lineup of Casio, I think you are better off with a PX330 than the older 800. The 330 has the latest generation of keys and sound

A
A
Hey, English Paul,

I have wrote a short review of the Casio PX-830 (you can find it here) because I have literally JUST bought one. I would seriously recommend it and I couldn't be more happy that I chose it over the Yamaha YDP-140.

If you have any questions, just post them in the next few days.

Cheers.

S
S
This sounds extremely good to me

"used Casio PX800 for around $600"

Originally Posted by English Paul

I am about to start playing piano again and want to buy a digital piano. I was planning on getting a Yamaha YDP140 or 160 (I really like the YDP223 but don't want to spend so much money at the moment). I have an opportunity to pick up a used Casio PX800 for around $600. I am primarily interested in the piano sound but I do like the chorus feature on the Casio boards. I understand that the Casio PX800 is now discontinued and is being replaced by the P130/P330. Does anyone have any words of advice as to which of these pianos might be the best choice. Many thanks.

E
OP Offline
E
Many thanks to all for your advice, much appreciated. With there being so many models available, it's hard to make a choice. I do like the portability of the slab pianos and after reading some of the posts I'm now considering the Yamaha P155 instead of the Casio P130/P330. I'm now a little gun shy over the Casio's based on a number of comments I've read about keyboard and other quality issues. A few years ago I owned a P70 and was very happy with it except for the under powered amplifier - so perhaps I should stick with Yamaha. But as you say BSC, that used PX800 does seem like a good deal at $600, almost half what I would pay for the P155 and I'm not sure that as a beginner, I would really be able to tell the difference between the two. I'll just have to sleep on it. Thanks again all.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission