2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,814 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm proud to be weird. Probably one of the very few living off composition (not music) in Greece to begin with. I'm 100% legal and don't own photocopies (except in very rare cases or for a matter of studying and not wanting to 'polute' my original scores), as well as very few mp3s, created by me. All software is legally bought. You can't begin to imagine how weird this is in Greece! They think I'm insane! laugh

Fell in love with my wife in first sight and never looked back, never had an urge for anyone else or doubts whatsoever! Got a PhD in composition (which apparently seems worthless in Greece as well)... :-/

In parties I play songs which lead the fellow men around me to 'yawn' and ask for something else in a matter of minutes!

But I'm dead proud of being weird, if this is what I am!

Originally Posted by beet31425
Well, I've traced the weird page formatting to its source. The cause is foxyw's post #1338953, from 01/01/10 09:48 PM (PST). For those of us who use the default setting of 30 posts per page, this post falls on page 5. But if you change that setting, then whatever page this post lands on gets corrupted.

I'm not sure why it has that effect. foxyw's post does use quotes strangely; it starts with an empty block "[quot=foxyw][/quot]", which doesn't seem to render quite right, then has a couple extra "[/quot]" closers, without corresponding openers. (foxyw's actual post uses "quote" instead of "quot", but I don't want a quote block to appear in my post!) I'm not sure why this should cause problems, but it does.

Not trying to pick on you, foxyw. Everyone carry on as before. Just trying to resolve the mystery of the this weird thread... smile

-Jason

Oh no! Sorry everyone!!! I used the quickquote option originally to create that post and it had so many quotes (quotations?) embedded in quotes it looked really weird. I edited the post and manually deleted some of the text in the field but being a chemist with no html skills (although I am planning to take a web site design class this spring) I completely messed things up. Now I feel weird.

"Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here!" J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, 1997.

[Linked Image]
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
You know what this means?

We need more piano parties! laugh

The point that seems to be driving this thread is that we're all weird in the same way. We all share a common interest not just in music, but also in some small way the sciences. I am interested in meterology, among many things. Recently I've been going severe storm chasing. Now this is a conversation starter and stopper at many parties, but the usual line is "Is this like Twister?", which I have to answer, yes but not really.

Growing up I was never involved in sports in a big way. My parents are artists and have little interest in sports so there was no push in that direction. The other thing too is I was extremely un-coordinated, and would usually get hurt, or worse run too slow and end up losing the game. This last aspect put me on the outs with most of my peers in school. So instead I found it more interesting poking around ant hills and watching spiders, birds, or other crawly things. At one point during high school I considered a career in zoology or biology, but that never happened.

Anyway another thing I've noticed, and perhaps this is also musically related. I think that the study of classical music has a way of opening up the mind. We as a group tend to be critical thinkers, technical thinkers, and open to learning and doing. Perhaps if classical music and music lessons were made more important in school systems there would be a whole new generation, or generations of people more interested in other things besides American Idol and sports.

This was also one of my reasons to go back to school for what I always wanted. I am tired of workuing around people with little or no interest in anything I had to talk about. I mentioned this to my piano teacher, and she said the same thing. At least at the university I can talk about music, science, politics, and art without being ignored or patronized.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by foxyw
Oh no! Sorry everyone!!!... I completely messed things up. Now I feel weird.

It's not your fault, foxyw, but the site software's, which should be able to render misplaced tags without freaking out.

Canonie: I bow before the master. What excellence I really discern.

-Jason

A
A
Re: the original post - what's wrong with just learning from other people about what *they* do? It's interesting, though you don't get to talk about yourself very much, because there is always something to learn about any career.

If someone didn't work, I would have a hard time making conversation. But anyone who has a job can hold my interest for a good long while.

I'm an attorney specializing in one specific area of law. Although I love my work and I think it's fascinating, I don't assume other people are or should be interested in my work, and I rarely talk about it except with my husband.

Last edited by AdultBeginner; 01/03/10 01:44 PM.

Acoustic - Samick JS042
Digital - Kawai L1
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
And this is why I only hang out with musicians.. Not that I intended it to be that way, but when you go to a music school it's inevitable. Only pianists and string players though (cellists especially). =P

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BTW, I fixed the odd display error on page 5...happy reading!

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
By the way, the culprit was the long horizontal line in one of the posts.

When you put a bunch of underline characters together, the computer treats it as one word and will not split it up, so if you go crazy and use like 100 underlines in a row, it widens the screen for everyone.

If you want to test something you've written out, just use the "Preview Reply" button (next to the submit button) - your post will appear at the bottom of the screen looking like it will when you submit it (you'll have to scroll down to see it.)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
I definitely won't do that again!

Just back from a lovely cross country ski outing in the fresh snow. Now it's time for some piano practice smile

"Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here!" J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, 1997.

[Linked Image]
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
People think I'm weird because I especially like July 1 and December 1. Anybody else feel that way, and know why? (Yes, I'm an engineer and proud that I was a geek in school!)

Steinway 1905 model A, rebuild started 2008, completed 2012
Yahama CVP-401
Will somone get my wife off the Steinway so I can play it!
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler
By the way, the culprit was the long horizontal line in one of the posts.

When you put a bunch of underline characters together, the computer treats it as one word and will not split it up, so if you go crazy and use like 100 underlines in a row, it widens the screen for everyone.

I don't think it had anything to do with a long line. I hypothesized above that the culprit seemed to be a strange use of quote tags, and this seems to be correct: The posting is indeed now uncorrupted, and the quote tags in the post have all been removed. Am I missing something?

-Jason

Gooddog Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
In high school, I was a wallflower. I never went on a single date. I just didn't have a lot in common with the other kids. I liked to read. Loved classical music and was a bit of a nerd. During free periods I got special permission to work on my music in one of the practice rooms. It was lonely, but I liked myself.

Best regards,

Deborah
I
Ina Offline
I
I'm weird. This forum helped me in my weirdness, I believe... I'm not alone practicing piano after the age 40 :))). In the work they just think that my "hobby" is consuming my time, since I don't have financial income from doing my "piano thing". But, in reality, it spares a lot of tablets: it is a natural antidepressant for me and antistressor after the work. I also sing in a choir and there I meet people that are professionaly involved with music, so I can share my passion without being looked odd.
I don't watch TV, I don't recall any commercial, ...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Deborah Gooddog,
Now look what you’ve started........ wink
For those who may like to unwind (or wind-up) with a weird crossword, I’ve just posted one on the Games forum. Enjoy!

Currently working on:-
C Major scale (r/h only - starting with the pinkie finger)......

Dear Noah,
We could have sworn you said the ark wasn't leaving till 5.
Yours sincerely,
The Unicorns

(Sent from my Sinclair ZX81)..........

------------------------------

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Withoutyou, effort is readily discarded [Linked Image]

'31425' - it's not the first movement of any beethoven sonata (?) Should I check other movements?

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
For Christmas, all the gifts I asked Santa for were music related =D

I have a few friends who want to become piano teachers & concert pianists when the grow up. (3 friends, actually). So I have someone to talk to about music, luckily. =]

I don't mind if other people think I'm weird... it's just being me. I was discussing this with friends one day, and we came to the conclusion that normal people are weird... because everyone is different. laugh

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gooddog
In high school, I was a wallflower. I never went on a single date. I just didn't have a lot in common with the other kids. I liked to read. Loved classical music and was a bit of a nerd. During free periods I got special permission to work on my music in one of the practice rooms. It was lonely, but I liked myself.

Me too, but I like wallflowers more than artificial flowers in artificial gardens... Is this weird?

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
At any rate, we are all proud to be weird....
So... Viva los wackos!!!

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
So why do I like July 1 and Dec 1? When I reset the date on my wristwatch those days, I know I don't have to do it again for 92 days! Extra time to practice the piano. yippie

Last edited by Bart Kinlein; 01/03/10 06:32 PM.

Steinway 1905 model A, rebuild started 2008, completed 2012
Yahama CVP-401
Will somone get my wife off the Steinway so I can play it!
B
B
This thread is so great not only because we can all relate to it but also because I learned so many fascinating things about you guys! I too belong to the weird scientist/musician club; I am double-majoring in piano performance and microbiology.

I tend to avoid small talk in social situations (tricky as a bartender), because I don't have the same interests, therefore references, as most people. Half the time I have no idea what they're talking about, and the other half of the time they don't know what I'm talking about. C'est la vie!

Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission