2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
ezimm7 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Can someone explain the difference between these? The P85 comes with "Graded Hammer Standard" weighting, while the DGX630 (aka the YDP635) comes with "Graded Hammer Action."

I'm assuming the latter is just newer? Anyone have experience with both?

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by ezimm7
Can someone explain the difference between these? The P85 comes with "Graded Hammer Standard" weighting, while the DGX630 (aka the YDP635) comes with "Graded Hammer Action."

I'm assuming the latter is just newer? Anyone have experience with both?

The p85 and 630/635 have the same "GHS" action.

"graded hammer action" is one of the features of a GHS action. It is also a feature of GH and other Yamaha DP actions.

E
ezimm7 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks for the reply. After my original post, I found this site, which has a different take:

http://www.know-your-keyboard-piano.com/yamaha-pianos.html

"The Yamaha pianos in the higher price range feature the Yamaha Graded Hammer effect whereas the models in the lower price range feature the Yamaha Graded Hammer Standard effect.

So what is the difference between the two?

Not much except that the Yamaha Graded Hammer is slightly better built and slightly faster than the standard version. Hence they are available in the higher end pianos!"

Last edited by ezimm7; 01/02/10 05:25 PM.
V
V
The GHS is much lighter, and I think doesn't only use hammers, I think someone mentioned rubber rings?

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by ezimm7
Thanks for the reply. After my original post, I found this site, which has a different take:

http://www.know-your-keyboard-piano.com/yamaha-pianos.html

"The Yamaha pianos in the higher price range feature the Yamaha Graded Hammer effect whereas the models in the lower price range feature the Yamaha Graded Hammer Standard effect.

So what is the difference between the two?

Not much except that the Yamaha Graded Hammer is slightly better built and slightly faster than the standard version. Hence they are available in the higher end pianos!"

Yamaha keeps changing the names they use. Today there are three actions used in Yamaha's mass market DPs. They have replaced GHE with GH. So there are now three. But Yamaha has not updated all their material.

1) "GST" -- NP-30
2) "GHS" - P85 and others
3) "GH" - P155, YDP 233 and others

Go to this web page and then click the big blue square on the left that reads
"Video Comparison" there look at the set of four buttons that describe the three actions. But do notice the video is OLD it contains two discontinued models and does not show the new P155 and is still using the term "GHE" rather then "GH". But otherwise it is the best source of info.
http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/List/ModelSeriesList.html?CTID=205900&CNTYP=PRODUCT

This list will change soon when the CP1 and CP5 hit the stores and the "NW-Stage" becomes available as a fourth option.

Also there are some other actions available in the clavinova line.

If you want to read more the yamaha.com web site is likely the more authoritative source. You can download and read the user manuals. With effort you can find the support site where they sell parts, there are exploded diagrams there of the key actions. Few people care about that level of detail

Last edited by ChrisA; 01/02/10 10:56 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission